Old 06 May 2010, 14:56   #21

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Puffin
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235075764
Based on the west coast of Scotland I think an auxilliary is a MUST HAVE and there are a lot more boats around in Argyll than the West Coast of Lewis. I just had a constant nagging doubt when I only had the main engine and feel much more comfortable having the my 5hp Honda auxilliary on the back. If nothing else, it makes you a little less panicky if the main does for some reason fail. The 5hp Honda does just about manage 5kts which may not get you home but at least would hopefully get you to some form of land / habitation
Old 06 May 2010, 16:41   #22

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300 hp outboard
I completely agree - we have a wee 4m searider which we keep in iona and its got a 4hp suzuki 2 stroke permanently on the transom. Its got a sep fuel tank so if the main fuel is contaminated you are still fine, and it is enough to get you ashore at the very least. Not the easiest to steer though!

More often than not the vhf wont get you through to clyde coastguard so you are relying on other boats being around and hearing any distress call if your engine does go pop. Definitely best to squeeze an aux on, and have a decent anchor with a good length of rope.
Old 06 May 2010, 17:01   #23

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Well I am one that nails the colours to the Aux camp I always carry one and I am out in the WSound of Jura for most of my boating. I would not go out without it!! I also keep seperate tank. Unfortunately i have had to use it as the main popped 2 years ago 2 miles of Kilberry head a nd I can asure you I was so glad I had the aux even although my mate came to the rescue.
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2010, 21:14   #24

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I think an aux is a great idea and I recently bought a 2nd hand Yamaha malta 2S (I think its about 3.5hp) to use on my 5m Tornado. Because it is a 2S and fairly slim it fits alongside my Merc 2S 60 and enables the Merc to have full movement. I just set the Yam to straight ahead and use the main engine for steerage. Also as one of the posters have said a longshaft is essential. My little Yam pushes the RIb along at about 4 knots, which is fine and as I have recently been to the West Coast of Scotland for a week, just kept it on the transom all the time and and used it every day.

I now wouldn't be without it but are pleased that I waited and bought what I wanted, a 2nd hand 2S, as a newer 4S would be bigger and then wouldn't have fitted.

I actually bought mine from a mate who just happened to have it for sale at the time I was looking.

Good Luck
Old 06 May 2010, 21:41   #25

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
I think that where you are boating an auxiliary is a must. As Polwart said, you're at least an hour away from any help at all and a lot of horrid things can happen in that hour.

However well maintained your engine is, bits can fail, as I found out last year when my engine stopped in the middle of the Sound of Jura (at least an hour from any help) late one evening. There's a thread somewhere about it.

My little Johnson saved the day and got me safe - and got me the ten or so miles back to home. Slow, noisy, smelly, using as much fuel per mile as the main engine would consume, but it got me back. How glad I was that I had it available.

Get one. You'll not feel lonely.
Old 07 May 2010, 04:02   #26

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Engine: Yamaha F15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet View Post
Biff fitted a most excellent aux bracket to our (ex) SR5.4 - it takes 3.5hp long shaft - not much room to steer the aux but you can use the main engine for this (or at least that's the idea we've never tested it!!)

We did need to get one custom made as the after market available products were either too flimsey or did'nt fit the space required.

Let me know if you need more photos etc

Have any more pics, from the side ??
Old 07 May 2010, 04:39   #27
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet View Post
Biff fitted a most excellent aux bracket to our (ex) SR5.4 - it takes 3.5hp long shaft - not much room to steer the aux but you can use the main engine for this (or at least that's the idea we've never tested it!!)

We did need to get one custom made as the after market available products were either too flimsey or did'nt fit the space required.

Let me know if you need more photos etc
Nice bit of work, but the Searider Ooglewoogle's looking at has the military A-frame on the outside of the transom which precludes putting an aux bracket on there unless it's unfeasably long.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 06:53   #28

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Ahh okay Nos hadn't appreciated that

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 18:30   #29

Town: Devon
Make: Ribcraft 5.3
Engine: 90
This was my effort for auxillary mount, fabricated from 5mm s/s for my Ribcraft 5.3. (Tohatsu 4hp 2 stroke long shaft).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4113[1].jpg
Views:	157
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	50878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4114[1].jpg
Views:	174
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	50879   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4115[1].jpg
Views:	226
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	50880  
Old 07 May 2010, 19:06   #30

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
After reading all the posts on this subject I contacted the dealer who's rigging up my new boat and asked him to add an auxiliary engine and I ended up getting a 4hp mariner 'used', its an extra expense which I could have done without, but after reading this thread it looks like a must. I will be using it mainly round Anglesey and North Wales and the tidal runs can be quite demanding there so I'm taking no chances. This is a great site and seems to have a wealth of experience.

Thanks

Steve.
Old 07 May 2010, 21:43   #31

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I take my Zodiac to Lewis every summer so know exactly what you mean about not seeing other boats. During the summer - visitor numbers do increase, however I've been fishing with my brother when the weather isn't necessarily suitable for pleasure boating, and on these occasions we haven't seen a soul or another boat all day.

Although the Zodiac isn't designed for an auxilliary, I decided to fit something as I'd seen another Pro 7-Man with exactly the same engine set-up (the boat with the Tohatsu 40hp Autolube pictured provided the inspiration.) Although I service my engines myself and I'm meticulous in their care, there's always the unexpected. Like the time I was out and missed a submerged log (probably 12 -15 feet long), that probably originated in Canada, or the numerous fishboxes that float just under the surface of the water, floating rope and general flotsam, the list goes on.

I have to admit that having an auxilliary can be a pain, but it's essential, especially on the west coast. I fitted a stainless-steel Plastimo adjustable bracket and cut down the nylon transom bracket so the main Yamaha engine can turn full lock. I also sourced a new Tohatsu 2-stroke 3.5hp long-shaft engine. When underway, the engine is in the raised position and tensioned with a ratchet strap to a stainless steel U bolt on the bench seat. As a precaution, I've added a hardwood peg under the engine bracket to support the outboard leg. Tohatsu's alloy tilt/support push-bolt simply isn't up to the job, especially in rough seas, where it would break. The engine only weighs 17kg, so doesn't effect the handling of the boat. It has an integral fuel supply, but I usually carry 50 litres of fuel in separate 25 litre tanks and an emergency 5 litre tank. I also fitted an inline fuel filter to the main engine as a precaution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auxilliary.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	50883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auxilliary2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	50884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro7 with Auxilliary.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	50885  
Old 08 May 2010, 02:42   #32

Length: no boat
A big thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. I really appreciate the time you took to give considered opinions and advice, and for the pics and vid. Everything has been really helpful to me and given me plenty to keep thinking about...not just the aux.