Old 06 May 2010, 07:14   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
ooglewoogle,

Just a thought............I know you are in a "remote" area, but........you should/must have a VHF radio.
You can always summon assistance although I appreciate your possible "reluctance" to do so.
In addition, despite "all" my travels, I have rarely been out of sight of at least one other vessel, and that includes the north of Scotland and all its islands.
Old 06 May 2010, 07:21   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
In addition, despite "all" my travels, I have rarely been out of sight of at least one other vessel, and that includes the north of Scotland and all its islands.
Whether or not said vessels are listening on the radio may be another matter, at least if the ones here are anything to go by. It may be a requirement but it doesn't always happen!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2010, 07:36   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Oh sure Stephen. Just trying to put ooglewoogles mind at rest.
He may think "Oops, next stop Canada".

In your case thats probably true!!
Old 06 May 2010, 08:06   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Brian - I'm surprised at that. I've frequently been out of sight of other vessels and I'm nowhere near as remote as Ooglewoogle is proposing. Perhaps having a very small boat I tend to hide away in places where bigger craft don't go? In the area he is talking about a lifeboat could take an hour to arrive and that assumes he is able to reach the CG via VHF which may not be great in really remote places. The number of other boats around will inevitably be inversely proportional to the urgency of your situation. So in nice weather there are more likely to be people out who might come to your aid. In poor weather they are more likely to be tucked up at home.

Although it does raise an interesting point - would you be better, in oogle's position, spending say £300 on a sea anchor and sat phone/Epirb or on an Aux?
Old 06 May 2010, 08:24   #15

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Fiona
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Yamaha 90
MMSI: 235065959
I wouldn't go far off shore without one, despite having VHF and flares etc I really donít want to be in a position of relying on the CG to come and rescue me. We have the same boat with an 8hp aux, yes itís a tight squeeze and the tiller hits the A frame but it has allowed us to land in a harbor and sort the main engine on one occasion. As for not seeing other vessels, the west side of Lewis can be a very lonely place and sitting in the deep water channel waiting for a 100,000 ton tanker to notice you isnít fun.
Old 06 May 2010, 08:27   #16
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Just a few random observations:

I'd hate to use an epirb for a breakdown (assuming no imminent threat to life) - they'll send a feckin' helo and it's bye bye rib. At least the RNLI will give you a cuppa and a tow.

I often go the day without seeing another craft. Often on nice summer's days. Even Bogib was amazed at the lack of craft here - The Isles may be similar.

On a recent return to Rathlin from Gigha I saw only one craft (other than our company) - that was a supertanker, wouldn't want to ask him for a tow either.

Not that I needed to, I was already under tow having lost an engine during the day. I thought it was a failed fuel pump but it has been found to be a dead Engine Management Module - on a five years old, low hours, well maintained engine. So sh!t happens.

I wouldn't even consider those waters without either a backup engine or travelling in company.

I'd be happy enough to pooter around a safe haven - 10 Nm so long as I had good comms.
Old 06 May 2010, 09:15   #17
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I wouldn't even consider those waters without either a backup engine or travelling in company.
Me neither.

Given his location, I'd be looking for something with twins.
Old 06 May 2010, 09:40   #18

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Are the small battery powered motors worth considering ?
Old 06 May 2010, 10:01   #19
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
I'd be looking for something with twins.
I ended up doing just that in Gigha - it was just that all 550hp worth of them were fitted in Tom McLaughlin's (previous) 11m Corryvreckan. As an auxiliary power source, I can highly recommend it.
Old 06 May 2010, 10:51   #20

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Biff fitted a most excellent aux bracket to our (ex) SR5.4 - it takes 3.5hp long shaft - not much room to steer the aux but you can use the main engine for this (or at least that's the idea we've never tested it!!)

We did need to get one custom made as the after market available products were either too flimsey or did'nt fit the space required.

Let me know if you need more photos etc

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote