RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Id have thought an old school 2 stroke like that would be ideal for infrequent use. Far less likely to suffer running problems due to carb issues from little use and easier to fix if it does.
Never seen a oil injection at that size but carrying a dedicated fuel supply isnt a bad idea if fuel contamination is the issue with the main
That yam is very light for a 2 cyl 8 and a gutsy little engine
I'd have that over a 4 stroke any day for an aux
4 stroke carbs are far more complex and therefore more prone to fuel issues. For the purpose simple is best Imho
I was always lead to believe that premix fuel had a short shelf life - not idea for something sitting largely unused. I was also taught that it was very important to run premix carbs dry to stop them gumming up. If you start the aux every time to check it is working - you are going to have to run it for about 10 mins to clear the carbs out after each day. Less of an issue if it is getting used on a tender too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb33 View Post
I’m curious about an electric Torqeedo that can serve both the tender and RIB. That helps with weight and fuel issues. Putting cost issue aside (for now) what are views? https://www.electricoutboards.eu/cru...ts-c2x22282972
Search forum for Torqueedo. John Kennett had one. He didn't keep it long. That may answer your question about using one on a tender. The only purpose I can see it serve as an aux, is a comfort blanket for the missus so she thinks you have one!
Old 26 July 2018, 15:37   #42

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I was always lead to believe that premix fuel had a short shelf life - not idea for something sitting largely unused. I was also taught that it was very important to run premix carbs dry to stop them gumming up. If you start the aux every time to check it is working - you are going to have to run it for about 10 mins to clear the carbs out after each day. Less of an issue if it is getting used on a tender too.
Its even more important to drain the carb of a 4 stroke especialy with modern fuels or it gums up the tiny orifices in the carbs
So if its harmfull for a 2 stroke its even more so for a 4 stroke

A few ltrs of pre mixed fuel in the main tank wont hurt even an injected engine
Alternatively the oil could be stored in measured doses to be added as required when needed
Old 26 July 2018, 16:32   #43
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
You could.....but it might smoke a bit.
I was wondering about it fouling sensors.
At 100:1, the 2 strokes barely smoke. Mixed at 1000:1, you wouldn't even notice it coming out of the exhaust of a 4 stroke.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 17:59   #44

Length: under 3m
Quote:
The only purpose I can see it serve as an aux, is a comfort blanket for the missus so she thinks you have one!

[emoji23]
Old 26 July 2018, 20:14   #45

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Aux engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Looking at it slightly differently.

I have a 3.4m Zodiac SIB that I'm planning on using as a tender for my RIB. It has a 15HP Mariner engine which will also double up as an aux engine should I need it.

The Torqueedo (electric) motor would be an interesting option. A quick look on line suggests they do a 8HP version which might be enough for what you need. It's pretty expensive but relative to the boat and the kids, probably not too bad. I'm sure it could be kept charged via the main engine and it's half the weight o an equivalent petrol engine.

8hp@12V = 500A [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]bring on the Duracell bunny[emoji6]

Ps just checked, it runs at 48v but that's still 125A or thereabouts & the battery weighs 50kg min[emoji15], & whats (no pun intended) "more power per Watt" all about. Watts are a measure of power, a Watt is a Watt. "Ye canna change the laws o'physics Jim"
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote