Old 15 July 2013, 14:15   #11
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Certainly in my experience with a 3.4m SIB and Tohatsu 9.8 (a lot lighter engine I'm guessing than your four stroke) for good balance and handling a 12" tiller extension and my weighty Pelicase with anchor and gear right up on the bow are *essential*. After some testing this weekend a 20mm raiser under the engine is essential too but that's more for fine tuning.

Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2013, 02:57   #12
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
On about auto life jackets my lad had a surprise last Sunday,
After spending all day on the sib whilst I was packing everything into the car he says I am off back to the slip to help out recovering some of the other boats ,
you'd better take a life jacket I reminded him ,just invade you drop of the end of the slip
Take one of the spare ones ,
About 30 seconds later I heard a big cheer from the slip , then my lad comes back around the corner ,, i gather you picked up the auto one : )
Well at least it worked .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3525110470.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	82919  

m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2013, 08:35   #13
Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
OP, thank you for relating your story. We run a 10 ft Avon and 285 Fastroller with 9.8 HP engine with two people. They become squirrels with one aboard and not really safe.

We ran the Avon for years with a 15 HP, but even with two aboard it was a handful. Several times even with two passengers it has been too close to the line for safety. Speed will get you quickly into trouble.

We kayak and use inflatable jackets at times. You want that jacket inflated when trouble arises, as a knock on the head may disable you long enough to prevent inflating the jacket. You can drown in a few inches of water.

You and the engine are heavier than the boat, so it can become unbalanced quickly from water pressure on the hull.
frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2013, 09:16   #14
Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
I recently had the dilemma of manuals over auto's. In the end I went manuals citing the risk of accidental inflation such as the above mistake....then on Sunday (one week after making this decision) I caught one of the cords under a fuel tank and set one off in the back of the truck!
TheKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2013, 10:22   #15
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Searider / War Shot
Make: Avon / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Yam / 150hp opt
Having been first on the scene when 6 persons were ejected from a capsizing boat i'm VERY glad they all had auto lifejackets on.

5 were merrily swimming round, a bit shaken, the sixth had hit his head on the way out and would not have been able to inflate his jacket. In the three minutes it took me to get there he may well have drowned, or had to rely on assistance from the other ejectees.

He'd had a big bang on the head and had no memory for two days.

That's why I have all autos in my boat.
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2013, 10:24   #16
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
My Zody 285 with Mariner 2T 8hp planes with 160 kg of human 50L of fuel plus anchor and a few other odds. No weaves and no flips. One boy sits in the bow and the other opp the helm.
Fuel in the middle. Trimmed in and WOT planing at 18 kts. 1 hr per litres at wot.

mister p is offline   Reply With Quote