Old 08 June 2005, 12:53   #1

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Automatic Bilge Pumps

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

We are thinking of replacing or bilge pump with an automatic bilge pump and are considering either one of the Rule-Mate pumps (internal float switch) or one of the Rule computerised pumps (The pump will turn on every 2-1/2 minutes for about one second to sense for water. If water is present, the pump will sense resistance and continue to run until all water is remove).

My question is will my battery be able to cope with this?

It's a good quality battery as far as I know and has to start a 150 Optimax. Have thought about fitting a second battery but don't really have space for it.

Any suggestions?

Which type of pump would you reccommend (float or computerised)?
Old 08 June 2005, 13:30   #2

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
All the float switch pumps i have tried have eventually failed from the beating they take in a RIB. I am interested in this new "computerised" Rule you mention - can you post a link or part number?

Weather your battery can handle this or not probably depends mainly upon how much water you get in your boat - do you cover it? I asume it's left afloat and you want it nice and empty when you go down to it - personally i would reccomend a second battery, it could be very frustritating to have a flat - also the Opti's need quick a lot of kick in the battery to start.
Old 08 June 2005, 13:34   #3

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
I hate all bilge pumps without exception. BHG Marine are going to fit supply and fit Piranha 600gph + one float switch WITH WARRANTY. Hope this solves my problems.....
Old 08 June 2005, 13:39   #4

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Sorry to bring bad news, been there, tried that make and model - it broke.
Old 08 June 2005, 16:32   #5

These are the computerised versions I mentioned:

http://www.rule-industries.com/prodI...E&typeId=RATBP

If I was to go with one of these it would be very convenient as it would be a straight swap for my old bilge pump http://www.rule-industries.com/prodI...E&typeId=RATBP

The other float-type pump pump I was thinking of is one of these http://www.rule-industries.com/prodI...tegoryId=BILGE

I would imagine that the float type pump would use less power as it only switches on when needed, whereas the computerised one would probably draw more power as it switches on every 2.5 minutes, but it also be more reliable as it has no float switch.

Has anybody any experience in running something similar from a single battery?
Old 08 June 2005, 16:42   #6

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
I have an automatic rule on my rib.. Altho I have two batteries, when I leave the rib, I set the switch so only battery 2 is having power taken from it.. The longest I have left the boat unattended, (with the bilge in auto mode,) is about 3 weeks, and the battery was no-where near flat, and turned the engine first time..
Old 08 June 2005, 17:09   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Has anybody any experience in running something similar from a single battery?
Yes - currently have a float switch type, but had a "computerised" type in a previous boat. The only times I've ever had a flat battery was after leaving the previous boat on a mooring for three months, and once on the current boat when a small stone jammed the pump. The "computerised" type survived well in a dirty environment. The float switch that I have now tends to be unreliable at the beginning of the season - it sometimes jams - either open or closed. It's OK now after much washing, but I expect that it will be unreliable again next spring after the winter lay-up.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2005, 17:25   #8
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
I've tried the Rule Computerised model - the sensor was often affected by oily residue in the bilge and after a year it packed in.

Next tried the Rule with internal float - lasted 6 months before packing in - it failed by running continuously and ran down my number 2 battery!

Now on a separate Rule float switch and pump, installed one month ago, so watch this space.

I reckon you will one day return to a flat battery with an auto-pump. If you fit one, I would certainly recommend a second battery.
Old 08 June 2005, 18:37   #9

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
BHG Marine are going to fit supply and fit Piranha 600gph + one float switch WITH WARRANTY. Hope this solves my problems.....
Been through two of these. Pump absolutely fine and very powerful. Float switch useless. Neat idea encased in plastic but I found it just gets wedged with the slightest amount of debris or scale build up. Ends up either jamming on or off.

Keith
Old 08 June 2005, 18:41   #10

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
automatic

Hi I went for twin 1500 gph automatic models they work fine and move tons of water as established when we went astern and took a wave in reverse(muppets!!)
not worth having the float switch in my experience. they are not new computerised but merely automatic.
Old 08 June 2005, 19:36   #11

Thanks everybody for the responses. I think I'm going to go with this one: http://www.rule-industries.com/prodI...E&typeId=RATBP
It seems that most problems stem from the float switch jamming open, so if I can avoid this by going with the computerised version then it seems like a good idea. I really wish I could fit an extra battery but I just don't have the space. The transom well is generally kept very clean and I have never jammed the manual rule bilge pump that I have so I guess the auto one should be the fine there. I'll just have to check for any large debris before I leave the boat in future!

Mike, is this the version you have http://www.rule-industries.com/prodI...&typeId=RATBP? and did Barnet fit it? (I'm getting mine from them too)
Old 08 June 2005, 21:59   #12

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Bilge Pps

On our hard boat we have the jabsco hydrostatic type (air pressure in tube)
and hasnt let us down yet and sits on a mooring all year round, all others have failed but havnt tried the new computerised type.
Paul
Old 08 June 2005, 22:04   #13

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F
On our hard boat
Hard boat!?!?
Hard boat!?!??!

Did I hear you correctly?

Shouldn't you be on www.boatmadforum.co.uk ??
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2005, 04:23   #14

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Sensaswitch update

Used this switch for a year now and so far impressed. No moving parts to jam corrode or bounce about giving false switching.Worked faultlessly so far.

Its a a solid state switch that senses the water level.It's completely sealed in plastic with no moving parts and would appear to be ideal for RIB applications.
It has 2 raised circles marked on the case ; the higher one being the on marker(2" up ) and the lower ,being the off level.(3/4" up)
Will handle pumps up to 20 Amps and comes with a 3 year limited warranty.
Also easy to test ; you put two fingers on the raised circles to switch on/remove the top finger pump stays on/remove bottom finger and turns off after short delay.

Does anyone else use these? Wondered if there were any drawbacks/
cheers Dal
Attached Images

Old 09 June 2005, 22:19   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I use the Jabsco's that Paul F is referring to and they is just fine. cos the switch is not immersed in water it doesn't fail
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2005, 09:27   #16

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
My solution to the second battery issue was a trickle charger. I have one wired into the boats electrical system and put the boat onto the power on the quay when I leave her for extended periods of time, since doing that the battery is always strong and the bilge always keeping the deck and bilge dry. Had loads of problems prior to doing this.