Old 12 November 2002, 12:44   #21

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Well that certainly looks a fun piece of kit, and useful too! I think I'll get one.

Keith (Xmas comming up ) Hart
Old 12 November 2002, 19:52   #22

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Ahem !

We sell Commercial / Mil spec 150 Newton and 275 newton Life Jackets , Auto and manual , single and twin chamber and SOLAS approved on our online Rib Shop at www.powwerboat.org

Best wishes,

Stuart
www.powerboat.org
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2002, 09:57   #23

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
I think a good argument for both has been put across. I often wear a foam LJ as it only slightly restricts movement, protects the upper body and helps keep you warm. It also has pockets for gear knife, personal flares etc.

Just a couple of recomendations if your going out to buy a man/auto inflation LJ.

1- Dont forget to test it now and again, manually inflate it and leave it over night, check the gas bottle and perhaps tepe on a spare.

2- Add some reflective tape, when your strobe light runs out it is very very effective if someone is looking for you. Highly recomended by the RNLI.

3- Get a spray hood, not many RIBsters carry liferafts so if you go in the ogin and cant get back to the boat a spray hood will greatly enhance your chances of survival.

4- Make sure its got a crotch strap otherwise they often just pop over your head.

If you have a weekend spare think about doing your sea survival RYA course, only £50 odd, its one day, interesting, good fun and you get to play in life rafts.

Toby
Old 13 November 2002, 16:46   #24

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Quote:
Originally posted by toby.budd
I If you have a weekend spare think about doing your sea survival RYA course, only £50 odd, its one day, interesting, good fun and you get to play in life rafts.
I certainly agree with that (and the rest of what you said) Toby. Diana and I did the Survival course at Warsash a few years back and it was well worthwhile.

Like all good training it is confidence enhancing stuff and I came away feeling that my chances of surviving separation from my boat had significantly improved.