Old 25 July 2015, 04:16   #11

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjim View Post
Well I suspect I've mixed my models up with this one too:

LJ900 150N light life vest 14 - | Decathlon

Half the price! But no crotch strap (pretty much considered essential to make the life jacket work with your head above the water) and no light (could be added for 15) - depends on your activities if thats likely to be needed. The more expensive one has the yacht racing harness built in, as does my Kru Sport Pro. That means carrying extra weight around my ever increasing belly for little reason as I don't do big boat sailing...! Don't think either have a spray hood. But all comes back to your expected rescue scenario. Fall over board in company of mates, unlikely to be unconscious as not much to hit head on, own crew competent to rescue you. Working in inshore waters where a lifeboat likely to be onscene within 30 minutes of launch, launch tiem 10minutes. Only summer activities in good weather with minimal waves. 150N possibly OK. Major passages, lots of miles off coast, single handed, not in company, in rough weather including during colder months. 150N is almost certainly not enough.

Its also not be a direct spinlock clone. Tribord use a popper system for the cover. I prefer the Kru bursting zip method and I think (been a while since I looked) spinlock use the burst zip too.

But I think the ergonomics of the spinlock make sense and thats what they've 'copied' and I think there are some good features like the viewing window for the cylinder (My Kru one is burried inside so a pain to inspect).

I could swear the decathlon used to be 170N - don't know if they've changed the spec I notice they list a HalkeyRoberts 2012 Cylinder but are now on a UML 2014 Cylinder...

Frustratingly adding 20-30N of extra CO2 (20% bigger) seems to have been a licence to print money as the price seems to go up by nearly 100%...

Old 25 July 2015, 05:48   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
If you need a life jacket, you need a light IMHO. Unless you can guarantee you will only fall in during daylight and good vis, and will be rescued before it starts to get dark.
Old 25 July 2015, 12:04   #13

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If you need a life jacket, you need a light IMHO. Unless you can guarantee you will only fall in during daylight and good vis, and will be rescued before it starts to get dark.

And whilst you are waiting on being rescued you might as well increase your comfort and chance of surving long enough to be rescued by having a spray hood. They do make a huge difference if the sea is anything other than flat calm.
Old 25 July 2015, 12:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
So I don't CURRENTLY have a light on my LJ but there is one on my PLB. PLB light flashes when active. BUT PLB requires manually activated. Never been able to find an auto LJ light that wasn't crazy priced and had a user servicable battery. But based on my current boating I doubt I'd need a light. I tend to only be out on inland water (don't really need LJ) where someone can see me fall in, or at sea during summer months with a return to shore plan of say 4-5pm and a sunset at 9-10pm. If I've been swimming for 4 hours in a LJ without rescue a light may be the least of my problems...