Old 01 March 2007, 13:12   #21

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Thanks for the info guys, it really sucks when someone steals or attempts to steal what you work so hard for..
Seems to me I have read about some new tracking devices that can be installed/hidden on a piece of equipment, anyone out there in the security business or had experience with some of these new technologies?
Old 01 March 2007, 15:46   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
You guys seem to have some serious crime problems over there, not that we don't in the states, it is just that boat theft here is a relatively rare experience, as a matter of fact, in all my years of boating in the Great Lakes I cannot recall one boat theft.
Hmmm. Not sure that's all that accurate. Quite a few reports of stolen boats in the SouthEast (Florida, mainly.) Mostly stripping off all the resalable parts, akin to parting out cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
Pathalla, I think it's because most US states seem to have a pretty rigid registration system, where a boat gets a registration number much like a car and the hull identification number, trailer license number (something else we don't have) and engine number are all kept on record by the state.
Boats do, trailers do, as far as I know, engine S/N's are not used by any state for anything other than creating more paperwork. Which, of course, is why outboard theft is pretty common (plus, they're easily parted out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm View Post
Plus they are allowed to shoot anyone they catch stealing their property,
Pretty common misconception about the US. Where I am, you can use deadly force to protect your own life (not necessarily your own well-being, but your life, as in "I'm going to kill you"), someone else's life (though, if they are not known to you, you're asking for trouble), or to prevent a "heinous crime" such as rape, arson, or the like ("or the like" is up for interpretation.) Property crimes other than arson do not, unfortunately, fall under this jurisdiction.

You can, however, confront someone, get scared, and fear for your life, and defend yourself; not something I really recommend.

jky
Old 01 March 2007, 16:01   #23

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Trackers

I have a Trimble Trim Trac. It a super device. Just sits there and reports position. It can be triggered by movement, speed or by being taken outside a particular area. It is battery powered, small to hide and cheap to operate. I can hide it on anything I want! Could be fun if you had a teenager and lent them the car!

Look at:

http://www.followgb.co.uk/shop/follo...ites_home.aspx

Be happy to answer any questions for anyone.
Old 01 March 2007, 16:12   #24

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
....Pretty common misconception about the US. Where I am, you can use deadly force to protect your own life.... ... and defend yourself; not something I really recommend.

jky
... I guess you've got to make sure they're dead, then.
Old 01 March 2007, 17:30   #25

Town: Rickmansworth
Make: Ocean 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Mariner
right fingers crossed, 3 chains on the gate boat now stands on axle stands so no wheels at all new hitchlock lets see if the gits want to have a go now!! Well it'll have to do for now until i come up with a better idea!!!
Old 01 March 2007, 17:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
... I guess you've got to make sure they're dead, then.
It helps... My old pistol coach used to say "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Although, forensics being what they are, you've got to initiate action from the right perspective, as well. Th old "shoot 'em outside and drag 'em back in the house" doesn't go over too well with the authorities.

BTW, just ran across this posting, from Washington state:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/285690983.html

It does happen here...

jky
Old 01 March 2007, 19:53   #27

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
We had such a happening recently where a traveller was beaten and shot, the farmer had to getmore ammo and reload and came back to finish the job. then threw the body over a wall. The traveller was apparently hasseling the farmer beyond distraction so the Farmer left him have it.

He got a Jail term for manslaughter, appealed it and got off free on the appeal.
Many people were over the moon over here as it looked like the jury left him off for killing a Tinker, I dont know anyone too sad about it, so look out chaps its time for payback....

Meanwhile, can you imagine what teh poor dead man must think whilst his wife who must be suffering from grief seems to have got preggers through her cons holing from a coloured immegrant whom she sems to have maried very quickly but I beliebe he has absconded. I have nothing against coloured immegrants, but the travellers may!!!

Anyway none of my business except you will have to excuse me whilst I trip off to the shops to get a suitable Gun for teh job......

Meanwhile have a goo at http://unitedirelander.blogspot.com/...aig-nally.html
Old 01 March 2007, 23:27   #28

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill27 View Post
right fingers crossed, 3 chains on the gate boat now stands on axle stands so no wheels at all new hitchlock lets see if the gits want to have a go now!! Well it'll have to do for now until i come up with a better idea!!!
Was it at night?

4 posts at each corner with fishing line running between them. Fish hooks from line hanging down around the boat. hey! it's a hard life.
Old 02 March 2007, 02:16   #29

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
It helps... My old pistol coach used to say "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Although, forensics being what they are, you've got to initiate action from the right perspective, as well. Th old "shoot 'em outside and drag 'em back in the house" doesn't go over too well with the authorities.

BTW, just ran across this posting, from Washington state:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/285690983.html

It does happen here...

jky
John, I stand by my earlier contention that boat theft is a fairly rare occurence here in the Great Lakes, I cannot comment for other regions as I live where I live. We do have petty theft occuring from time to time just as in the U.K. From my perspective, the posts I have read, it seems to be more of a problem in the U.k. but I could be wrong. Wheel locks seem to be fairly common over there, I have NEVER seen one used here on a boat trailer. How about you?
Old 02 March 2007, 08:57   #30

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
one point to note is the I seem to remember one memeber of this board having a trailer stolen and the insurance company refused to pay as it did not have a wheel clamp on it. the thiefs had to use a crane I rememberto lift it and also cut chains that went into the concrete pad.
Thus it might be worth putting one wheel back on and the clamp on it, if that is in your policy - it is on mine.
good luck
James
Old 02 March 2007, 14:52   #31

Town: Rickmansworth
Make: Ocean 6.3
Engine: 200 Mariner
Will have a look into that!!! My main concern was that they had thrown the clamp in the boat which could have meant that the insurance company would have had no proof of it being on the wheel!! A huge concern of mine!!
Old 02 March 2007, 15:12   #32

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post

I suppose if the hole in the back is the size of a nickel, but the one in the front of the chest is the size of a dinner plate, they might be a little suspicious of the 'self defence' explanation.
Old 02 March 2007, 15:21   #33
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Sod shooting them-I've found a far better way to deal with thieves...

The mrs won't let me have them though. Spoilsport

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2007, 15:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Wheel locks seem to be fairly common over there, I have NEVER seen one used here on a boat trailer. How about you?
Nope; never have; at leaast not the clamp-on type of locks that our UK friends seem to talk about. When I've been on extended vacations, I use a bicycle cable through one wheel and around the trailer frame, in addition to a coupler lock (which are pretty worthless if someone wants the boat - take off coupler and install an unsecured one: 3 or 4 minutes and you're done.)

I figure insurance is probably the cheapest option. There is no security hardware that can't be defeated. Best you can hope for is to make it look difficult enough that they'll pass on to the next boat. But if they want yours, well...

Nos: Did you dig those things up in some Dark Ages Museum?

jky
Old 02 March 2007, 16:38   #35

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Nos: You're on the right track there, mind you some of the more motivated thieves might just gnaw their leg off at the ankle - then you'd have the SPCT (society for the prevention of cruelty to thieves) on your case.