Old 17 September 2010, 10:04   #21

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB View Post
Yeah it is a little wet on any following sea regardless of seastate. As you can see on my website gallery (pics are a bit old) the atlantic is 100% standard still. Perhaps that is its only let down (centre consol) It is very capable boat, with the right coxwain at her wheel it is capable of most of the sea's I have been in. I have seen the footage of the RNLI boys turning one. Unfortunatly thoses guys were not reading the surf conditions and did not act accordingly to the breaking swell. They just went in s astraight line regardless of breaking waves and left the power on far to long. Youtube is great for a laugh though
one reason the power is left on in big seas especially with the 21 and early 75s is that if comming off a large wave and the boat lands stern first or at a greater angle of 45 deg the power from the engine helps stop the stern and engines from sinking deeper also helps stop swamping and stalling of the engines if they sink deep enough from water backing up the exhausts or so they said in training ,
and one of the reasons that the mk 2, 75 has the sponsons upturned at the stern.

another difference tween atlantic 21 and 75 is the sponson diamiter is 2 inches wider on the 75
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OLDIES 098.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	54213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures photos 145.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	54214  
Old 17 September 2010, 12:35   #22

Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Atlantic 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post

and one of the reasons that the mk 2, 75 has the sponsons upturned at the stern.
My 21 has sponsons turned up at stern...does this mean it is a 75 in disguise?
Old 17 September 2010, 13:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
My 21 has sponsons turned up at stern...does this mean it is a 75 in disguise?
i personally have never seen a 21 with upturned rear sponsons, it may have been retubed like that at sometime perhaps at a later major refit to update the last of the 21,s
or was a one off part of a experimental /trials set up if it was an rnli boat ,though it was a good while before even the rnli 75 s started having up turned ones ,

next time i speak to the inshore lifeboat center staff i ask if the rnli did any 21s with upturned sponsons ,,
unless anyone else does first ,,they ought to be members on RIBNET they would have a lot to answer ,
mart.
Old 17 September 2010, 13:34   #24

Make: Osprey
Engine: outboard
Atlantic 21

Definately an ex RNLI as that where it was collected from and still has 'RNLI' and the kit on it !

The more I investigate this history of my boat the more interesting it gets....
Old 17 September 2010, 13:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
Definately an ex RNLI as that where it was collected from and still has 'RNLI' and the kit on it !

The more I investigate this history of my boat the more interesting it gets....
well thats a start ,,lol
what operational number did it have any ideas at all .
Old 17 September 2010, 19:33   #26
TMB

Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic 21,3x SR5.4
Engine: 2x75,2x40,90hp
[QUOTE=m chappelow;370353] one reason the power is left on in big seas especially with the 21 and early 75s is that if comming off a large wave and the boat lands stern first or at a greater angle of 45 deg the power from the engine helps stop the stern and engines from sinking deeper also helps stop swamping and stalling of the engines if they sink deep enough from water backing up the exhausts or so they said in training ,

Thats very interesting. Where did you do your surf training?
Old 17 September 2010, 20:06   #27

[QUOTE=TMB;370450]
Quote:
one reason the power is left on in big seas especially with the 21 and early 75s is that if comming off a large wave and the boat lands stern first or at a greater angle of 45 deg the power from the engine helps stop the stern and engines from sinking deeper also helps stop swamping and stalling of the engines if they sink deep enough from water backing up the exhausts or so they said in training ,

Thats very interesting. Where did you do your surf training?
Never did surf training ,did aquaint days about 18 years or so ago ,
ironically the beach lifeguards do the training on the Arancia i.r.b. and the p.w.c,s now at the same place at south gare,,up norf ,,, they were there just this week as they use our yard for storage as the rnli training building now doesent have a lock up compound and as its on private land and off the beaten track it keeps the general public from getting in the way of things .
Old 17 September 2010, 20:20   #28
TMB

Thats a shame you would have a fantastic time. I can recomend giving a little bit of surf a go around the barnstaple area. Not when it is blowing a ...... but you have a nice boat that you could have a great time in it.

From spending 6 years teaching surf training and being the test coxswain for new military craft in surf conditions, I hope I have a little knowledge on it. I can assure you, keeping power fully on at the top of a wave would almost allways result in brown underpants and possibly a capsized craft. just a thought.
Personally, I get the coxwain to watch what the surf is doing and how it is forming. I certainly dont have my lads going in a dead straight line.
The RNLI boys do a great job and they deserve all the praise they get! I have got to thank them for letting us use there capsize pool in poole for training our new guys.
Old 17 September 2010, 20:48   #29

Quote:
Thats a shame you would have a fantastic time.
errr i had a fantasic time last weekend towing a broken down cruiser in 3 metre steep breaking swells in my little 3.4 sib with an 8hp engine on the back about 100yds out to sea in a shipping lane ,,,LOL,,,even the pilot cutter came alongside to try give us a bit of shelter ,,the pic was taken in the calm sheltered part ,the broken down boat was just about to drift into the side of a dredger so it was a now or never situation .,,typical hard boater as you can see no lifejacket on out in bad sea conditions and a very short anchor line .infact it was that short half the tow rope was his anchor line the other half was my spare bit .,,
What i should have said is ,,,power can be momentry decreaced whilst airborne but increased just before landing to help stop the stern and engines from burring itself ,
sorry we have hijacked the thread ,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006 (2).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	54229  
Old 17 September 2010, 21:16   #30
TMB

good stuff! Little harsh with the big boats letting you do all the hard work!
Well done though! More of you guys needed on the water!
Old 17 September 2010, 21:23   #31
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
typical hard boater as you can see no lifejacket on out in bad sea conditions and a very short anchor line
Them's reet 'arsh wurds, ee wuz plannin' to onlee anker off of tha beach like
Old 17 September 2010, 22:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Them's reet 'arsh wurds, ee wuz plannin' to onlee anker off of tha beach like
i would have added no kill cord to the list too ,,, but his engine was dead,, LOL,

my 10 year old lad was filming it up in the bow , one point we were getting close to an out bound ship ,the wife phones me to ask if i could get her a curry on the way home ,,, with warning warning its the wife ring tone ,, f...h.. she picks her times ,,lol
Old 17 September 2010, 22:24   #33
TMB

i thought the RNLI dont use killcords (SIB's). Or they didnt when I did a few courses for them? Apparently the party line was " there will allways be someone else on the boat if the coxwain falls over board"
Old 17 September 2010, 22:43   #34

Quote:
i thought the RNLI dont use killcords (SIB's). Or they didnt when I did a few courses for them? Apparently the party line was " there will allways be someone else on the boat if the coxwain falls over board"
idea is that they also dont want the engine to stop at a critical time perhaps in surf conditions should it activate accidently ,,,what happens if they all go over the side ,,just hope throttles return to tickover when if let go ,,,
Old 18 September 2010, 07:19   #35

Boat name: abymac three
Make: avon 560 adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 df
Ah. brings back memorys , when we were going up a a large wave the mercury switches would shut down the engines , so helmsman would steer through the surf and crew would have both fingers on the start buttons, the good old old days needlees to say they soon changed that arangement
Old 18 September 2010, 09:24   #36
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
the wife phones me to ask if i could get her a curry on the way home ,,, with warning warning its the wife ring tone ,, f...h.. she picks her times ,,lol
Mrs willk tends to phone at critical boating moments too. Her ringtone is The Imperial March from Star Wars, so always good for a giggle