Old 14 January 2002, 15:26   #11
Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Hillock through transom with key will satisfy most insurers;most boat marts etc. stock them.

An anchor is essential whatever size of boat you have-if you break down it will keep you in the same location unless weather conditions are so bad that it drags.In theory it should keep you off a lee shore and give you some options such as

Mobile - Coastguard/wife /mother

Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2002, 17:37   #12
Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Many thanks.......

Many thanks, you guys, for all your very useful comments

Keith – I know what you mean about size but I would not go anywhere without an anchor – if you store it in a soft, strong sailbag it should not cause a problem.

Alan – thanks for info - I’ve just sent my BIBOA Application form off, honest!!!

agr46942 – looks like the old Leatherman is going to of use at last and thanks for the link.

LamacqS – I have spoken to RC and ordered a o/b lock from them – thanks for info on fuel consumption. I do have a 55litre under-deck tank so I suppose a 2-gal plastic tank secured on deck would act as a suitable reserve. I also have a SS prop which I believe from other posts can help with fuel consumption.

Matiboy – I do have h/h & fixed VHF; mobile; anchor and flares but a sea anchor seems like a very good idea. See PM re: launching site.

Peter T

Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2002, 04:14   #13
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +

Congratulations on your purchase -- I hope your first season goes well!

I would suggest that you got to Halfords or somewhere similar and invest a few pounds in a set of tools to keep on the boat permanently. Otherwise (if you're anything like me) you'll forget to dig out what you want to take from your main tool kit and only realise when you get the boat on the water

This should cover most eventualities:

- small tool box
- screwdriver with variety of changeable bits
- small socket set
- small spanner set
- pliers (regular and long nose)
- side cutters
- plug spanner

It's also worth packing a tin of WD40, some cable ties and a roll of gaffer tape. If this lot won't fix it, then it's broken

Don't buy anything expensive as it will get trashed by salt water, or dropped overboard. Don't got to the other extreme though and buy tools from the pound shop, as they will break when you most need them!

John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2002, 16:01   #14
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
As for the fuel usage, we used 6 gph at 26 knots on the Round Scotland trip in 92, the boat was an Osprey Sparrrowhawk (5.2) with Merc 60 hp. We found the 13 Alu prop the correct size when the boat was loaded with two people, 30 gals of fuel, spare 4 hpand full BIBOA kit for racing achieving 5500 revs. The 14 " prop only reached WOT if the boat was empty. The engine was brand new before the start and well run in on completion of the week and about 520 miles.

Oh yes we won class A, then up to 60 hp. The onl problem with the boat and engine was the "air box" bolts coming loose on one leg. Probably because we had used slick 50 in the engine before going and not lock tighted the bolts back in afterwards as we did with all the other bolts on the whole boat.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2002, 11:37   #15
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
The other vital piece of kit........

is a decent knife! Potlines, mooring lines (in an emergency), towing lines (ditto) and mutinous crewmembers for the use of!
Dive knives are ideal being small and usually coming with a handy holster you can bolt onto the boat somewhere. Ours is on the underside of one of the seat pod cushions. Out of the way but easily accessible!

HTH Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2002, 13:08   #16
Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Two other things worth a mention:
The most common problems with outboards are fuel and prop.
I always carry at least one complete spare means of getting fuel into the engine, i.e. spare fuel in a separate tank with a spare fuel line. Having had so many blockages due to bad fuel or dirt/rubber/wood/anything in the tank it is just such a quick problem solver having a spare tank/line ready for use. It is common to get the primer bulb and/or line blocked with junk!
For longer (or solo) trips I also carry a spare )albeit well beaten) prop, plus any prop-fitting-bits that you might drop overboard - if you snag something you can easily wreck the rubber clutch in the prop. I have also been known to drop a prop overboard when trying to clear alobster pot from the engine!
Alan Mckewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2002, 21:28   #17
Town: Plymouth
Make: MAKO / Ballistic
Length: 7.8
Engine: Outboards
Congradulations on getting your RIB Peter. I'm about to become a new RIBster myself so can understand your enthusiasm.

Regarding your mention of your RIB's size; less is often more. I have owned several glass boats of various sizes and I can tell you that I've never had more fun with any of them than I did with a 16 foot (I'm an American and I haven't got the metric thing down quite yet) Achilles pure inflatable with a 40HP Yamaha and a tiller. Smaller boats can get into places that larger ones can not. When my kids were young we used to take that little boat camping all over New England. My kids waterskied, we took it up freshwater inlets to view moose as well as out to explore islands off of the coast. It gave a punishing ride (soft bottom) but it was lots of fun.

I've been trying to explain to my wife for years that I simply need two boats; one big and one small. She never bought into that theory but she liked the Achilles so she's pretty excited about the rib too.

Best of luck with the new RIB Peter!

Phil Gendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2002, 01:10   #18
Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Phil, I like you already...

Keith (smallest boat on RibNet) Hart
Small boat - BIG truck
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2002, 03:21   #19
Town: Durham
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D3 160hp
MMSI: 235034618
I have a 4 metre avon searider with a yamaha 40hp 2 stroke. In addition to a small toolkit I also take a starting rope just in case the electric starting system fails. Its remarkably easy to hand start. It appears to start even with the battery disconnected. What I do not know is if it would still start with the battery shorted out by sea water during a swamping but it would solve any problems such as a float battery/broken strater motor.. I am not sure if a 60hp will have a back up hand starting facility (might be too big) but I would say it is worth checking.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2002, 13:10   #20
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon

You REALLY expressed my personal thoughts with those feelings. I suppose you have a gift in writting. As I was reading your lines it was like I had them written.
Now let me give you a piece of advice. When you listen to your portable VHF tranceiver to some vessels, give a try and tell them a "hello". If they answer to your call THEN you have a proof that they can hear you. Othewise it may be that you can listen to them but they can not listen to you. That may be because you transmit with 5 Watts (maximum*) and a rubber antenna and they transmit with 25 W and most propably with high gain antennas.

(*) The first 2 or 3 press of the PTT (Push to talk) switch you get the highest output, then step by step the Ni - Cd battery looses its power and the output drops.

Michael a.k.a "Bat Falcon"

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote