Old 22 July 2016, 13:47   #1

Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu
Asking for help with MEK alternative in California

Greetings all.

I am replacing a sun damaged CF number plate that is faded and brittle.

http://www.rib.net/forum/members/167...icture7016.png

The instructions call for using MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) or Acetone. I have some Xylene / Toluene replacement. It is very slow work cleaning the tub from the old glue.

http://www.rib.net/forum/members/167...icture7017.png

Painters tap (blue) and gaffer tap (grey duct tape) would not stick to the tube when attempting to mask off the area.

http://www.rib.net/forum/members/167...icture7018.png

http://www.rib.net/forum/members/167...icture7019.png

http://www.rib.net/forum/members/167...icture7020.png

http://www.rib.net/forum/members/167...icture7021.png

This is about an hour of work, and I would like to speed it up. I will add a heat gun and 220 grit sandpaper and see.

Does anyone have some suggestions on a chemical alternative that will act more like MEK (which I think I can't get in California)?

Thanks,

ZacOps

http://www.rib.net/forum/members/167...icture7025.jpg
Old 22 July 2016, 14:56   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
The boat is hypalon. Just sand/grind the old glue off with a dremel. Easiest way...

Wipe with alcohol (denatured or rubbing) and let it evaporate for 5-10 min before you try to apply masking tape.

Your "VOC free" solvent is basically Acetone. Call a professional paint supply store, they should carry both MEK and Toluene.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 15:02   #3

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
MEK is not available for purchase in CA to regular people as far as I can tell. You can order toluene from Amazon

I don't think it illegal per se but the air quality boards have made it impossible to sell or something. I think the commercial fuel company by me sells MEK by the barrell or truckload but i don't think you can get a quart.

Jason
Old 22 July 2016, 15:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
MEK is not available for purchase in CA to regular people as far as I can tell. You can order toluene from Amazon

I don't think it illegal per se but the air quality boards have made it impossible to sell or something. I think the commercial fuel company by me sells MEK by the barrell or truckload but i don't think you can get a quart.

Jason
Call a store that does industrial paint supply. Two part catalyzed paints. Like a Sherwin Williams "automotive" store?
Old 22 July 2016, 15:05   #5

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Asking for help with MEK alternative in California

Nope, they don't have it either. I tried all the automotive supply and industrial supply.

It's really not available. Not illegal to have I don't think but can't be sold.
Old 22 July 2016, 15:53   #6

Air Quality Control, more like un-fair quality control!

Office888 and Bigtalljv,

Yes, she is hypalon.

Thanks, this is why I love this forum.

I will attack it tonight when the temperature cools off and we'll see how I go.

I am assuming that I should also get a really good respirator/mask if I find some MEK? Is it really worth the trouble? Will it almost instantly dissolve glue and not hurt the hypalon?

Have you ever seen CF numbers curl up like that and crack? Starboard side shows some ware but I am leaving that for another season.
Old 22 July 2016, 16:21   #7
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
My local hardware store stopped selling it about 4 years ago. But I bought some in LA last year. Its still around...
Old 22 July 2016, 18:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacOps View Post
Office888 and Bigtalljv,

Yes, she is hypalon.

Thanks, this is why I love this forum.

I will attack it tonight when the temperature cools off and we'll see how I go.

I am assuming that I should also get a really good respirator/mask if I find some MEK? Is it really worth the trouble? Will it almost instantly dissolve glue and not hurt the hypalon?

Have you ever seen CF numbers curl up like that and crack? Starboard side shows some ware but I am leaving that for another season.
Sanding is the best way to remove old chloroprene glue. Methylene chloride works great for scrubbing off any old glue, but I think it is also difficult to find in California. I know it is restricted in Europe.

I still prefer sanding for hypalon/csm/neoprene surfaces...they need to be sanded anyways, and I'd prefer to deal with elastomer/glue dust over chemical fumes.

Your number plates are made by boatnumberplates.com...they carry a 10 year warranty. Maybe contact the company and see if you can get some replacements? They're made of PVC. For hypalon/csm/neoprene boats, they sew a backing pad of black neoprene on so it bonds to the boat easily.

If your number plate is grey with no backing pad, then it was straight PVC...not ideal for a hypalon boat, unless cross-glued properly.
Old 23 July 2016, 17:27   #9

PVC with a Backing

Richard,

Yes, boatnumberplates.com replaced them both at no cost. Took about a week and did it all through email.

Old one and new ones are PVC backed with "hypalon" type material. Above you can see how the PVC just disintegrated. Garaging the boat from now on.

You mentioned sanding. Do I need to be lightly sanding the tubes each season? I use 303 to keep a nice clean look (no chalkyness).

Any suggestions on how to prevent that PVC from weathering? A boat cover obviously.

Thanks,

ZacOps
Old 24 July 2016, 00:49   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1469321179.933389.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	114612Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1469321210.602786.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	114613

The drill worked great. 200 grit and elbow grease did the rest. Sanding block worked okay. Cooler temperatures made it easier.
Old 24 July 2016, 02:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacOps View Post
Richard,

Yes, boatnumberplates.com replaced them both at no cost. Took about a week and did it all through email.

Old one and new ones are PVC backed with "hypalon" type material. Above you can see how the PVC just disintegrated. Garaging the boat from now on.

You mentioned sanding. Do I need to be lightly sanding the tubes each season? I use 303 to keep a nice clean look (no chalkyness).

Any suggestions on how to prevent that PVC from weathering? A boat cover obviously.

Thanks,

ZacOps
A cover goes a long way.

Don't sand the boat for general cleaning... You can wash the boat with an inflatable boat specific soap and use a mr clean magic eraser. It'll take off the oxidization.
Old 24 July 2016, 06:25   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
Nope, they don't have it either. I tried all the automotive supply and industrial supply.

It's really not available. Not illegal to have I don't think but can't be sold.
Tap Plastics has it. Of course, you need access to a Tap Plastics store. If you have access to a surf shop, they often use MEKP (which is MEK with a bit of peroxide) as a catalyst for the resin. They may have straight MEK for cleanup as well.

jky