Old 24 November 2008, 19:10   #1

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Are RIBS too expensive?

still hankering after a new boat and for some reason would prefer tubes on it.
However if you look at what's available in the market it is really difficult to understand why ribs are so expensive compared to other boats

For instance the top cabin ribs are £150k ish when you can pick up a 4 berth 2 cabin twin diesel cruiser for the same money; and the cruiser will give you far more internal volume, luxury etc than the rib

I appreciate that the smaller beam ribs with tube buoyancy give you much better sea keeping but I cannot square the circle on this with the rest of the market

At the top (ish) end I would look to have minimal accomodation (2 berths) with decent sea keeping but not commercial; so a sort of Redbay Med if such a thing was possible or a Scorpion with open helm but 2 berths and not at £150k

did anyone notice that the ribeye featured in RbInt had no prices but on their site it is £138k plus plus; I quite like it but cannot see how you can pay that sort of money for what is essentially a day boat

At the "cheaper end" is the Bembridge cabin but no real info on that

any decent clues of where to go?

thanks
Old 24 November 2008, 19:22   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
It's production thang. Ribs are 'cottage industry', cruisers are semi mass produced. Searay have a big facility in Southern Cal where boats are churned out by the dozen using Mexican labour.
Old 24 November 2008, 19:41   #3

so we do not get value for money?
Old 24 November 2008, 20:01   #4

to put the thread a little further refined, some months ago I asked about the Arctic 37 and had some negative responses

for the purposes of clarity I have (say) £80k and want to leave uk to the med on a rib with open helm and 2 berths

so I am looking at the hardest (potentially) around Brittany and Biscay and then the easier passage along the Med coast to Italy, Greece.....

not forgetting on the way, the Mistral , Corsica /Sardinia where the conditions can change quickly but the general conditions to be benign and the use of a bimini against the sun

note AP comment about hard nosed ribs so whats the answer? probably cannot fit round peg into square hole
Old 24 November 2008, 20:26   #5

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Hi Phil
Whilst, like you, I would love a 10m Scorpion, I just don't have a spare £150k!!!
However, I have recently been looking for a boat that meets a similar Operational Requirement to yours.
I am now no longer searching but have identified Excalibur in Cork. Not only do their boats appear to fit your requirements but they currently have 2 'as new' boats for sale, and well below £100k, maybe worth a look?
I have nothing to do with this company, only connection is that I was born in Cork!!!
Old 24 November 2008, 20:33   #6

Town: cork
Boat name: none
Make: HUMBER DESTROYER 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140HP sUZUKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypman View Post
hi phil
whilst, like you, i would love a 10m scorpion, i just don't have a spare £150k!!!
However, i have recently been looking for a boat that meets a similar operational requirement to yours.
I am now no longer searching but have identified excalibur in cork. Not only do their boats appear to fit your requirements but they currently have 2 'as new' boats for sale, and well below £100k, maybe worth a look?
I have nothing to do with this company, only connection is that i was born in cork!!!
up cork !!!
Old 25 November 2008, 10:45   #7

thanks for that.

I have looked at them before and am not quite sure on "the look" of the 9.2 although it certinly meets the general spec I am looking at

I think I need to see them in the flesh as it were -it is on my agenda for a visit in the new year
Old 25 November 2008, 10:52   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
It's production thang. Ribs are 'cottage industry', cruisers are semi mass produced. Searay have a big facility in Southern Cal where boats are churned out by the dozen using Mexican labour.
Are they? The likes of Ribcraft, Ribeye, Avon etc don't really suggest that. To my mind theres little difference in the RIB industry to some of the motor yacht manufacturers. I can think of two manufacturers in Norfolk who produce quite a small number of boats but have well known and well respected brands. Likewise theres manufacturers like Sunseeker and Bayliner who are pumping out loads of boats. Same with RIBs really.

And yes, I do think they are over priced for what they are. JBT have got a second hand Scorpian at the moment that, for the same money you could get something half decent that you could sleep in relative luxury on. Even small RIBs are priced similarly to their more luxurious "plastic" cousins.
Old 25 November 2008, 10:53   #9

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Take a trip down to see the Bembridge boats - they are very nice indeed and a lot better value. Pretty much get the same as the others for the size and half the price. Well built too...
Old 25 November 2008, 12:45   #10

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Definately call Jim at Bembridge about the Shearwater boats . They have just started making a slighlty bigger cabin (not that there was much wring with the old one) . There were a couple of 1-2 year old shearwaters around for between 35 - 45k and a new one with all the bells should only come in at £65k ( I say only - but its still 65k! ) .

They have a bimini to keep the sun off you ( or rain in the UK) sleep 2 , have tubes , & dont look ugly ( i think )

I nowhave the first one they made ( 7.5m) now 4 years old and I reckon does everything you could want for a med kept boat & if I was experienced enough, had the time& money I wouldn't think twice about taking it down to the med by water . But you can just stick it on a trailer if you wanted to.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BEM432
Old 25 November 2008, 13:04   #11

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Defo the larger Shearwater excellent finish to them and nice peeps to deal with.
Tim
Old 25 November 2008, 13:13   #12

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I suppose to answer the question are RIBs too expensive ? - They are until you can afford to buy what you want !

If I had £150K + to spend on a boat would I buy a Rib for that much ?- no , but I am happy to spend what I have done so far on what I have. if I had £150k to spend on aRIB - I'd buy several boats to differant things with.

A 10k boat is very very expensive for some , but for others a £50k boat is not expnsive. I think its down to personal choice. You dont have to spend big big money on a boat when a used one will do the same , if not better . It may not be the right colour for you , but if its 25-50% less money can you live with it ? I know I can live with alot if its cheap enough !

Some of the known brands I think you are paying for the name when you can get somehting tthat is 90 % as good for 50% of the cash.

Or better for 50% of the cash !
Old 25 November 2008, 17:06   #13

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have always said the high end RIBs are overpriced for what they are. Compare a £150k cabin RIB with something like a Botnia Targa.
Old 25 November 2008, 17:22   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
At the top (ish) end I would look to have minimal accomodation (2 berths) with decent sea keeping but not commercial; so a sort of Redbay Med if such a thing was possible

any decent clues of where to go?
Odd you should say that Phil, I think they will be announcing something soon that may satisfy your requirements.....
Old 25 November 2008, 17:29   #15

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Are they? The likes of Ribcraft, Ribeye, Avon etc don't really suggest that. To my mind theres little difference in the RIB industry to some of the motor yacht manufacturers. I can think of two manufacturers in Norfolk who produce quite a small number of boats but have well known and well respected brands. Likewise theres manufacturers like Sunseeker and Bayliner who are pumping out loads of boats. Same with RIBs really.

Really? So, based on that rather simplistic theory, there must be some very, very wealthy Rib builders out there.