Old 08 June 2003, 22:37   #1

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Arctic crossing in an open rib.

They have gotta lotta bottle.

Good luck to him and all the crew there off soon.

http://www.arctic2003.com/
Old 08 June 2003, 22:48   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
When are they off?

John
Old 08 June 2003, 22:51   #3

Boats being shipped out at the end of the month.
Old 08 June 2003, 22:56   #4
Administrator

I couldn't find any dates on the web site. Are you in touch with the team?

If so, could you ask Bear why his web site says he is "the youngest British climber ever to reach the summit of Mount Everest" when he's not?

John
Old 08 June 2003, 23:22   #5

JK I shall ask the question when they are back safe, but I doubt at this moment they will think it is important,as I am sure they have other priorities to deal with.

If thats ok with you?

I have supported them from the start as others have and wish them all well as they have real guts,and there are no guarantees.

So I wish them all well.

I have always tried to support all, who are prepared to go where few men dare,and for a good cause.
Old 08 June 2003, 23:35   #6

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Atlantic RIB Crossing

Likewise, as someone who has been involved in one or two record attempts in the past, I have tremendous admiration for thse who go out and give it a go.

However I am disappointed when people make claims as to being the "First". As I mentioned in earlier posts, this route has already been done , non stop and single handed Canada to Ireland in a RIB 20 years ago by Enda O'Coineen in Kilcullen 2.

May be they should be going for the fastest trans atlantic crossing by RIB.

Best wishes,

Stuart
www.powerboat.org
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2003, 00:00   #7

I cant comment as to there record attempt PR/web site statments,as They may be the first to attempt to do it with no pants on for all I now?

I just wish them all well and safty, as the sea doesnt change or care who you are.

And its for a good cause ,

You can plan all you want and use the top teci gear, but if luck is against you its still a risk.
Old 09 June 2003, 07:09   #8

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Stuart. Been there, done that,

We are the "Official World Record Holders" For the Trans Atlantic World Record (New York - UK).

I have to say that we are not happy with Bears claims that he is going to be the first and that we had to be rescued by an ice breaker. It is a clear case of he has a very high opinion of himself and has very little regard for what has gone before, and tells the media things to make him look good.
I made the mistake of wishing him well for his trip and admitting that we failed to get the world record only to continualy read and see on TV all sorts of crap that he was coming out with.

Thats all from me at th emoment but things are happing in the background to make establish that he does not contine to be a "Bear faced liar" Alan P
Old 09 June 2003, 07:54   #9

Town: Bristol
Make: Avon
Length: 5.5m
After reading the posts on Rib.net for a few weeks now, I thought I'd post something as I can't keep quiet any longer!!

Firstly, John, If Mr Grylls was not the youngest british climber to reach the summit of Everest when he did, who is?? I believe that he is in the Guinness Book OF Records for doing so.

Secondly, If this is not the first crossing of this route in an open RIB then why is Alan Priddy's book sold on being the story of the 'First high latitude crossing of the atlantic in more than 1,000 years??' Surely this should be changed. Alan Priddy, on his own website, also states that they were going to cross via the Arctic Circle. I may be wrong but don't believe that they went anywhere near the Arctic Circle.

The point of the above is of course to demonstrate that to raise the necessary sponsorship (and Charity profile), explorers need to sell the exciting points of their various trips. The mass media are only interested in the basic points. I'm not for a moment suggesting that people should tell untruths to gain sponsorship, but I do believe that Mr Grylls's attempt, if successful, will be the first crossing of that route in an open boat (since the vikings etc.) The team may however not be succesful and we'll soon find out.

Although I have respect for Alan Priddy, it is disappearing quickly. Instead of criticising other people's attempts and having such a 'been there, done that' attitude, he should be encouraging british explorers in any field to progress as far as they can. I think that there is a case to be made that if it is not Alan in the spotlight, then he will do anything he can to discredit other people. I appreciate that AP has not been treated with the necessary repecet he perhaps deserves but it shows a weakness to pass this attitude on to others.

Having looked to the last postings of Arctic 2003, I'm not surprised that any the of team have declined to comment on the forum when they are just going to get involved with petty 'point scoring'

I met (most) of the team at the London Boatshow and although not terribly experienced, they seemed enthusiastic and talented in their own fields and the fact they have the sponsorship they have gives an idea of how 'big business' views them. Again, I think that AP may find their relative success with sponsorship a bitter pill to swallow.

Anyway, I've said my bit and no doubt people will respond as the feel but it would be good if we could all get behind any attempts such as this, the world is a much more interesting place with people like Alan Priddy and Bear Grylls in, than without.

James
Old 09 June 2003, 08:14   #10

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by jamest28
If Mr Grylls was not the youngest british climber to reach the summit of Everest when he did, who is??
a 15-year-old girl from Nepal apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/wo...00/2939004.stm

Research is so easy nowadays!
Old 09 June 2003, 08:17   #11

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Being the youngest male climber is still a pretty good achievement!
Old 09 June 2003, 08:24   #12

Town: Bristol
Make: Avon
Length: 5.5m
I may be wrong but I don't think that the 15 year old girl from Nepal was 'British'.

As I said, I believe that Bear Grylls was the youngest British Climber to reach the summit. Male or female.

Absolutely amazing however for the 15 year old girl, and the 70 year old man!!

James
Old 09 June 2003, 08:47   #13

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
OK so I can't read!

Yeah, it's all good achievement. Whilst we're on the subject, I just thought I'd mention that I've got a first ascent credited to me. No big deal, just a technicality about a crummy bit of sea cliff at Kittiwake Zawn near Sennen in Cornwall. It used to be in the climbers' guide book... Alright then, I'll go and get back in my box.
Old 09 June 2003, 09:22   #14

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Engine: Honda 50
just for the record, i am the oldest male human ever to have climbed the oak tree in my front garden as of saturday. I'm sorry but comparing crossing the arctic in a rib (with presumably an internal combustion engine attached, and maps, gps etc) with vikings in longboats is just unbelievable. Retire all ye explorers from planet earth! It's all been done.
Old 09 June 2003, 09:24   #15
Administrator

The youngest Brit to reach the summit of Everest was Michael Matthews who got there on 19th May 1999, aged 21.

Tragically he died on the way down, which to my mind makes it even worse that Bear claims the credit.

"Youngest Briton to get to the top of Everest and survive the descent" doesn't have quite the same snappy ring to it though does it?

Bear and his team have received a lot of support and advice from RIBnet members, and I wish the team every success for their voyage though -- it will be a tremendous achievement by any standards. I just don't see that they do they cause any good by claiming credit that isn't due.

John
Old 09 June 2003, 09:40   #16

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
James28

What a wonderful articulate and well thought out reply, do you do this sort of thing for a living? I mean PR as opposed to Ribbing. Lets hope you become a regular visitor after the Challenge

Bear obviously is one of the World's achievers, Just to get into the SAS would be enough for most people and as such demands respect. It is my understanding that the youngest British climber to scale Mount Everest sadly died on the descent and you don't get much publicity for that.

Let's get this put into perspective, Bear and his team have nothing but our best wishes and hopes for a safe and succesful passage, we are after all Mariners!. Some of us just have a small point of concern over his PR claims.

Of them all that Irish headbanger Enda surely deserves respect which he most certainly fails to achieve. His efort was an unbelieveable test of character and nerve., but he never got the credit the credit or publicity for it.....shame

Onegood thing about this challenge , however, at least the crew wont have any B.O. you can be Sure of that (sorry couldn't help that last one, it just slipped out)

Best of luckand Gods speed wth the crossing
Old 09 June 2003, 11:06   #17

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
James.
An interesting reply to my posting and as always, everyone is entitled to there own opinions and thoughts.

I think you have mis- understood many of the postings about this trip.

I have personaly and publicly wished Bear and his team well for this trip but I do have an issue with him saying in public
things about me and my team that are not true! His opening page of his website is pure fiction and I am sure that if someone was telling the press something about you that was not true you would be mad as well.

I have spoken to Bear about this and the comments are still up on his site.

For the record, the two previous trips across the North Atlantic where succesful in their own right. Enda's trip was one of pure endurance and determination and by his own words he is lucky to be alive. Our trip in 1997 was planned as a miltary excersise, leaving on a date that we set a year in advance and returning on time for a party. So unless Bear intends to cross without refueling I still do not understand his claims.

Again, I wish Bear and his team all the very best for his trip, it is not an easy thing they are about to do.

And as I said to Bear last year, " I might see you on the start line" Alan P
Old 09 June 2003, 11:21   #18
Administrator

Actually, having re-read the Arctic 2003 web page carefully, Bear doesn't actually claim to be the current record holder (although that is the impression that many would take from it!).

The web site says that he "became the youngest British climber ever to reach the summit of Mount Everest." which was on May 26th, 1998. So he was the youngest, but isn't now!

Oh the subtleties of the English language

John
Old 09 June 2003, 11:25   #19

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett

Oh the subtleties of the English language

John
Or, engage brain before typing
Old 09 June 2003, 12:04   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Or, engage brain before typing
Yeah, probably!

However, I believe that the wording is a bit of spin which is designed to mislead. For what it's worth, the team is sponsored by the Daily Telegraph who perpetuate the myth.

None of which is of any importance, but I just find it irritating. I'll shut up now

John