Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Arctic, Atlantic, Pacific.

The current thread about "RIB in boatyard" has various references to Atlantics, Pacifics & Artics & it occurred to me that I don't actually know what the difference is between 'em. Anyone care to enlighten me I'm assuming that they are all made by Halmatic, or is that incorrect?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2013, 07:11   #2

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
The Atlantic 21 was developed at Atlantic college in Wales, I think in the late 1960s and looked slightly different to the more modern version with a shallower deadrise. The craft was adopted by the RNLI and many were made out if timber at William Osborne's at Littlehampton. This is also where the Medina was made. The RNLI, dropped its interest in the larger RIbs while the Dutch expanded on the designs.

I think the Pacific's were next, there was a very early P24 at Stonehaven in the late 1970s. The Pacific's were a longer version of the A21 but were Diesel powered, usually with an outdrive.

The Hulls were then slightly modified. The Atlantic 21s kept the flat section running from the centre to aft for beaching purposes. The Pacific's had a more rounded hull. Then the smaller Pacific's were fitted with Outboards for the offshore standby industry and were named Atlantic's once more, usually the A22. The larger A24 was utilised for Airport Rescue.

The Pacific's remained as Diesel Powered craft.

Halmatic bought the plugs and the rights from Wm Osborne's in the early 1980's and made the moulds to produce them in GRP, I assume it was Halmatic that modified the base.

One unusual craft was the A25 at Stonehaven, it was made out of Aluminium in about 1983 and was outboard powered with a small wheelhouse, this was the first small cabin Rib. The Cabin was very cramped and deemed to be a death trap in a capsize situation being open. The craft was returned to Osborne's in late 1984 and converted to Diesel with PP water jet propulsion and renamed as a Pacific.

The largest Pacific at the time was the P36, wth twin 212 Ford Sabre Diesels and outdrive, later modified to V - Drive and a keel added for greater Seakeeping effectiveness. These entered service as Offshore Daughter Craft in 1985 for Seaboard Offshore in the Brent Oilfield. I will post some photos if I can find them. I have a picture of 2 A22s and 2 P36s on the same ship.
Old 19 November 2013, 07:19   #3

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Not a 21 but one of the early rnli ribs .
Atlantic 18 ; )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-75571279.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	87644  
Old 19 November 2013, 08:06   #4

Here are a couple of Photo's 1985.

Showing P36s and A22s together an a Rescue Ship.

These were the largest in the North Sea at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P36 and A22.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	87645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rescue Ship.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	87646  
Old 19 November 2013, 09:30   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The current thread about "RIB in boatyard" has various references to Atlantics, Pacifics & Artics & it occurred to me that I don't actually know what the difference is between 'em.
I hadn't a clue either, but I've done a LOT of research on the subject on RIBnet. My findings:

Atlantics, Artics and Pacifics (AAPs) were RIBs purchased by organisations that were wealthy enough to be able to avoid Seariders. They were produced in Orange and/or Grey. Some were Black but if I were to tell you about those, I'd have to kill you. AFAIK, they were all built with red brick and corrugated steel (or whatever you build brick sh1thouses from in the UK). AAPs are highly sought after but mere mortals cannot buy a working example. Instead they must buy a "project" grade bargain. These are generally kept in sheds, often for years, as the new owner seeks parts and funding. A "shed class" AAP can cause quite a lot of confusion, as they can be difficult to tell apart. A giveaway is evidence of inboard engine mounts, confirming that it was once a Pac. Tubes too are often a source of grief, as they are scarce and pricey. CITEs raids have accounted for a lot of the scarcity, when used AAP sponsons have been mistaken (by appearance and smell) for elephant body parts and destroyed. Attempts to "home grow" AAPs by feeding steroids to SR5.4s have so far failed to bear fruit as instead of butching up, the Seariders merely grew additional antenna and safety equipment.

Spotter Guide:

Orange with missing outboards - Atlantic
Grey with missing outboards - Arctic
Grey with missing inboard - Pacific
Grey/Black with missing inboardS - very large Pacific

Old 19 November 2013, 10:34   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

I hadn't a clue either, but I've done a LOT of research on the subject on RIBnet. My findings:

Atlantics, Artics and Pacifics (AAPs) were RIBs purchased by organisations that were wealthy enough to be able to avoid Seariders. They were produced in Orange and/or Grey. Some were Black but if I were to tell you about those, I'd have to kill you. AFAIK, they were all built with red brick and corrugated steel (or whatever you build brick sh1thouses from in the UK). AAPs are highly sought after but mere mortals cannot buy a working example. Instead they must buy a "project" grade bargain. These are generally kept in sheds, often for years, as the new owner seeks parts and funding. A "shed class" AAP can cause quite a lot of confusion, as they can be difficult to tell apart. A giveaway is evidence of inboard engine mounts, confirming that it was once a Pac. Tubes too are often a source of grief, as they are scarce and pricey. CITEs raids have accounted for a lot of the scarcity, when used AAP sponsons have been mistaken (by appearance and smell) for elephant body parts and destroyed. Attempts to "home grow" AAPs by feeding steroids to SR5.4s have so far failed to bear fruit as instead of butching up, the Seariders merely grew additional antenna and safety equipment.

Spotter Guide:

Cheers just what I needed & in words that I unnerstand.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2013, 12:04   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
I might be selling my working Arctic due to a greedy woman, even had new toobes a while ago, watch this space.

Old 19 November 2013, 21:40   #8

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
There is also an Arctic 20, we did about 4 of them for the Greek Navy, all had twin Mercury 90 2 strokes. They were crazy fast and we had to turn them all down to 75hp!.
Old 19 November 2013, 21:48   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
There is also an Arctic 20, we did about 4 of them for the Greek Navy, all had twin Mercury 90 2 strokes. They were crazy fast and we had to turn them all down to 75hp!.
Quote:
Spotter Guide:

Update:
Devalued Doubletroubleos in Grey - Arctic 20
Old 20 November 2013, 10:34   #10

Town: Deventer
Boat name: .
Make: Avon
Engine: outboard
Quote:

Spotter Guide:

Supurb post!!
Old 20 November 2013, 17:07   #11

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
[QUOTE=willk;583342]I hadn't a clue either, but I've done a LOT of research on the subject on RIBnet. My findings:

Will a 200ho go on a pac 22
Old 20 November 2013, 17:22   #12

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
[QUOTE=rocknrolla;583670]
Quote:

Will a 200ho go on a pac 22
Yep...should just get it on the Plane too!...
Pretty Bullet Proof and Very Strong=HEAVY.. need PLENTY of Power to get ANY sort of 'Performance'!!...I think 'Martini' Has TWIN 200 Opti's on his!!
Thinking the Osprey is definitely more 'You'

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2013, 17:43   #13

[QUOTE=Maximus;583674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
Yep...should just get it on the Plane too!...
Pretty Bullet Proof and Very Strong=HEAVY.. need PLENTY of Power to get ANY sort of 'Performance'!!...I think 'Martini' Has TWIN 200 Opti's on his!!
Thinking the Osprey is definitely more 'You'
i av it as a project Looey,if i can put my 2oo on it,i can av a nice 250ho then i might keep up with u
Old 20 November 2013, 17:46   #14

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Next door's lifeboat, an Arctic 24, was capable of just over 40 knots with twin 135hp Optimaxes. The 150s they have now got them up to around 44kt.

I imagine a single 200hp would be just about adequate. Two of them must be... startling.
Old 20 November 2013, 18:07   #15

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Don't know yet...
Make: Arctic 22
Engine: 2x 150 etecs
I used to run an A22 with twin 200's. Quick doesn't even come close to descibing it! Quickest I got was 59knts. Ended up with a single 200 on it after hitting a shipping container at speed one night.... it would still do 44knts on the single one (after it was moved to the center)
Old 20 November 2013, 18:13   #16

Town: weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic, Searider's
Engine: 225hp, 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
Next door's lifeboat, an Arctic 24, was capable of just over 40 knots with twin 135hp Optimaxes. The 150s they have now got them up to around 44kt. I imagine a single 200hp would be just about adequate. Two of them must be... startling.
I trialled the first one we got at RM Poole a few years back now. We scrapped 61knts from it with 2x mariner 200hp efi's
Old 20 November 2013, 18:33   #17

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Quote:
Quickest I got was 59knts.
Quote:
We scrapped 61knts from it with 2x mariner 200hp efi's
I consider myself duly startled: !

44 knots on a single 200 seems impressive given that it takes 300hp with twins and a couple of feet more hull.
Old 20 November 2013, 18:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjytaylor View Post
I trialled the first one we got at RM Poole a few years back now. We scrapped 61knts from it with 2x mariner 200hp efi's
I bet it is like giv'n a fkn DONKEY strawberries,u would av t go out with the bala and saturday night special every wk
Old 20 November 2013, 19:47   #19

One of the first wooden A24s which still had the flat on the hull for beaching hit. 60 knots with twin 175 Johnsons, in1986. This was also about the first to be help dropped.

The first attempts at shock mitigation seating was on a milspec A22 with twin 140s. Lying on the deck fully kitted up was to damaging to the human frame.
Old 20 November 2013, 19:48   #20

Helo dropped!! I dislike predictive text!!