Old 20 November 2013, 13:07   #11

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
[QUOTE=willk;583342]I hadn't a clue either, but I've done a LOT of research on the subject on RIBnet. My findings:

Atlantics, Artics and Pacifics (AAPs) were RIBs purchased by organisations that were wealthy enough to be able to avoid Seariders. They were produced in Orange and/or Grey. Some were Black but if I were to tell you about those, I'd have to kill you. AFAIK, they were all built with red brick and corrugated steel (or whatever you build brick sh1thouses from in the UK). AAPs are highly sought after but mere mortals cannot buy a working example. Instead they must buy a "project" grade bargain. These are generally kept in sheds, often for years, as the new owner seeks parts and funding. A "shed class" AAP can cause quite a lot of confusion, as they can be difficult to tell apart. A giveaway is evidence of inboard engine mounts, confirming that it was once a Pac. Tubes too are often a source of grief, as they are scarce and pricey. CITEs raids have accounted for a lot of the scarcity, when used AAP sponsons have been mistaken (by appearance and smell) for elephant body parts and destroyed. Attempts to "home grow" AAPs by feeding steroids to SR5.4s have so far failed to bear fruit as instead of butching up, the Seariders merely grew additional antenna and safety equipment.
Will a 200ho go on a pac 22

Old 20 November 2013, 13:22   #12

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
[QUOTE=rocknrolla;583670]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I hadn't a clue either, but I've done a LOT of research on the subject on RIBnet. My findings:

Atlantics, Artics and Pacifics (AAPs) were RIBs purchased by organisations that were wealthy enough to be able to avoid Seariders. They were produced in Orange and/or Grey. Some were Black but if I were to tell you about those, I'd have to kill you. AFAIK, they were all built with red brick and corrugated steel (or whatever you build brick sh1thouses from in the UK). AAPs are highly sought after but mere mortals cannot buy a working example. Instead they must buy a "project" grade bargain. These are generally kept in sheds, often for years, as the new owner seeks parts and funding. A "shed class" AAP can cause quite a lot of confusion, as they can be difficult to tell apart. A giveaway is evidence of inboard engine mounts, confirming that it was once a Pac. Tubes too are often a source of grief, as they are scarce and pricey. CITEs raids have accounted for a lot of the scarcity, when used AAP sponsons have been mistaken (by appearance and smell) for elephant body parts and destroyed. Attempts to "home grow" AAPs by feeding steroids to SR5.4s have so far failed to bear fruit as instead of butching up, the Seariders merely grew additional antenna and safety equipment.
Will a 200ho go on a pac 22
Yep...should just get it on the Plane too!...
Pretty Bullet Proof and Very Strong=HEAVY.. need PLENTY of Power to get ANY sort of 'Performance'!!...I think 'Martini' Has TWIN 200 Opti's on his!!
Thinking the Osprey is definitely more 'You'

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2013, 13:43   #13

[QUOTE=Maximus;583674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
Yep...should just get it on the Plane too!...
Pretty Bullet Proof and Very Strong=HEAVY.. need PLENTY of Power to get ANY sort of 'Performance'!!...I think 'Martini' Has TWIN 200 Opti's on his!!
Thinking the Osprey is definitely more 'You'
i av it as a project Looey,if i can put my 2oo on it,i can av a nice 250ho then i might keep up with u
Old 20 November 2013, 13:46   #14

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Next door's lifeboat, an Arctic 24, was capable of just over 40 knots with twin 135hp Optimaxes. The 150s they have now got them up to around 44kt.

I imagine a single 200hp would be just about adequate. Two of them must be... startling.
Old 20 November 2013, 14:07   #15

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Don't know yet...
Make: Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x 150 etecs
I used to run an A22 with twin 200's. Quick doesn't even come close to descibing it! Quickest I got was 59knts. Ended up with a single 200 on it after hitting a shipping container at speed one night.... it would still do 44knts on the single one (after it was moved to the center)
Old 20 November 2013, 14:13   #16

Town: weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic, Searider's
Engine: 225hp, 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
Next door's lifeboat, an Arctic 24, was capable of just over 40 knots with twin 135hp Optimaxes. The 150s they have now got them up to around 44kt. I imagine a single 200hp would be just about adequate. Two of them must be... startling.
I trialled the first one we got at RM Poole a few years back now. We scrapped 61knts from it with 2x mariner 200hp efi's
Old 20 November 2013, 14:33   #17

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Quote:
Quickest I got was 59knts.
Quote:
We scrapped 61knts from it with 2x mariner 200hp efi's
I consider myself duly startled: !

44 knots on a single 200 seems impressive given that it takes 300hp with twins and a couple of feet more hull.
Old 20 November 2013, 14:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjytaylor View Post
I trialled the first one we got at RM Poole a few years back now. We scrapped 61knts from it with 2x mariner 200hp efi's
I bet it is like giv'n a fkn DONKEY strawberries,u would av t go out with the bala and saturday night special every wk
Old 20 November 2013, 15:47   #19

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
One of the first wooden A24s which still had the flat on the hull for beaching hit. 60 knots with twin 175 Johnsons, in1986. This was also about the first to be help dropped.

The first attempts at shock mitigation seating was on a milspec A22 with twin 140s. Lying on the deck fully kitted up was to damaging to the human frame.
Old 20 November 2013, 15:48   #20

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
Helo dropped!! I dislike predictive text!!