Old 10 January 2002, 14:47   #11
Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
I agree that the best solution is a dry suit with thermals under. However the thermals sold by most boat or diving shops are a rip off. If you find a caving shop, or go to you can pick up super thermal suits used for caving much cheaper than the boat shops. i.e. for 28 for basic one

On the subject of gloves, there is a material called POWERDRY.
You can get gloves made from Powerdry in most walking shops. I use these on the boat and for climbing in winter and they work wonders keeping you hands warm even when soaking wet. They are also quite tight allowing fine work to be done without taking them off.
The other good thing is if things ever get dry they dry out very fast.

Dont bother with the other Polortec or fiberpile gloves they dont work when wet.

Have fun and roll on summer

Garygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2002, 16:18   #12
Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Where do you get the power dry gloves??

Best wishes ,

Stuart McNamara
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2002, 07:33   #13
Town: N.C.
Malden Mills makes the material, try a google search. I was able to come up with several American companies that sell Power Dry products. Hope this helps.
sirzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2002, 14:03   #14
Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Where to buy

Hi Stuart

I got mine from the Karrimor factory shop which is close to me.
I think they cost about 12. Not sure if they still do then but there number is 01254 893134. If you have no luck there try your local walking/outdoor shop.

However powerdry is a type of fabric made by Polartec I think so there will be lots of manufactures using the fabric. If you cant get Powerdry, Powerstretch is also quite good just a bit thicker.

When buying gloves though make sure is Powerdry/Powerstretch ther are a lot of similar fabric names, prodry etc and they dont work as well.

have a look on for some info on the fabrics

Regards Gary
Garygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2002, 03:46   #15
Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Hi folks,

I am in no position to disagree with stuart about the neoprene gloves, however all I can say is that they have suited ME for MY NEEDS (short trips up to a couple of hours). These needs are different from those of a professional ribbster. This of course proves the point that there is no perfect solution for everybody all of the time. You have to experiment and find out what is best for you in your own situation. RibNet is just perfect for this kind of discussion, lots of different people, many of them very experienced and some (me) not very experienced all able to contribute their own ideas from all over the world.

Yes, the internet is a fantastic thing.

So, now another idea. Whilst we were away my aforementioned daughter forgot to take her own diving gloves. The solution was a pair of household rubber washing up gloves (you know what I mean gentlemen, Marigold type), which we managed to get in stylish black. These went over a pair of ordinary woolen gloves. Karen reports that they kept her hands WARM & DRY. This was a cheap and simple solution. Also being black they actualy looked quite professional!

Keith Hart

Small boat - BIG truck
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote