Old 01 January 2002, 10:51   #1

Town: Northants
Appropriate Clothing

With the boat show upon us, and the prospect of some bargain goodies, just asking what seems to be the preferred clothing for RIB use.

I currently use a 'diving' dry suit, but confess it looks a little OTT on a 4 mtre RIB and can get warm (must get the fly zip fitted!). I understand it may depend on the weather and intended use, but do most RIBSTERS here wear dry suits, or two piece waterproofs?

Thanks
Old 01 January 2002, 13:13   #2

Town: Kingsbridge
Hi Chris,

I use both. I have a Marinepool 2 piece and a Ranvenspring drysuit - with zip fly :-)

It also has moulded-on, neoprene lined, hard boots which are wonderful.

Both sets of gear are extremely good, just depends on what you're doing, where you're going and what the weather might do!

I recently did a Safety Boat course in freezing conditions and I could not have done without the dry suit with thermals on underneath.

Best wishes,
Nick
Old 01 January 2002, 13:45   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I have both too............

You can't beat a drysuit for when conditions are really wet - especially in a smaller RIB!. I have a Ravenspring drysuit which is lightweight and breathable. 3 yrs old now and still seems in pretty good condition. The people at Ravenspring are really helpful too. I also agree with Nick about wearing a dry suit if you boat at this time of year. Drysuit and thermals might be the difference between life and death if you end up in the drink!

I also have a set of Musto sailing waterproofs - usual trousers/bib and jacket combo. In really cold/rough conditions I wear the jacket as well as the drysuit. The two piece is great for less arduous conditions and for the times when a drysuit is just too much hassle. Mind you on RB4 when after 8 days I got sick of wearing the drysuit I foolishly decided that conditions on the Ramsgate - Southampton leg couldn't be that bad and wore the waterproofs instead and got absolutely drenched. And that was on a 9m RIB too! You live an learn!

HTH Alan
Old 01 January 2002, 14:43   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Are you saying that the Scorpion 9m Rib is a wet ride?
Alan P
Old 01 January 2002, 20:34   #5

Town: Northants
Thanks. Thats helpful.
Old 01 January 2002, 22:40   #6

Town: Newfoundland
Alan P..............

Quote:
Are you saying that the Scorpion 9m Rib is a wet ride?
Errrm, well yes, if you are doing 12-14kts in the English channel with a Force 5 on the nose they are very wet! At the time we were playing sweeper for the RB4 fleet hence the speed. At 25kts we'dve been bone dry!

The learning is that next time I'm in that situation I'll either sprint and drift or do big circles around the small boats whilst maintaining 20kts+!!

Alan W
Old 02 January 2002, 18:17   #7

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
I also have both dry & wet suits, but you dont have to wear a drysuit to stay dry (unless you go overboard). We used two piece breathable suits for RB4 and never got wet, even on the last leg. Most of the yottie-type makers now do really good stuff with good neck & wrist arrangements to stop the wet stuff getting in. It also means you can get it off quick to get into the pub when you get there. The drysuit does the job but is just so OTT for either mild weather or shorter runs.
Old 02 January 2002, 18:59   #8

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
I have to declare an interest her before I start .

We sell Ravenspring and Gecko Kit off of our online RIB shop on www.powerboat.org.

Any thing sold on our website has been used by us extensively before we consider selling it . ( We have a reputation to lose ! )

We also tell manufacturers the real story rather than what they would like to hear !

In years as the main ( high volume ) seller of Ravenspring breathable drysuits in Ireland we have never had one single complaint . We also found that they actively listned to our suggestions for improvements and developments and worked with us to improve an already terrific product.

I think that the secret of their sucess in our field is that they cater for the Surface Operations rather than the Diving Market so the suit is specifically designed for RIB use . ie the suit doesn't try to be all things to all people .

Best wishes ,

Stuart
www.powerboat.org
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2002, 09:21   #9

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hello folks

Of course in my little boat I'm not out in massive seas, but being a smaller boat it does get fun (wet) at times. I also often go out when the temperature is sub-zero, and I can tell you I've never felt cold yet, due to good clothing. We also take a flask of hot soup out with us, and plenty of emergency chocolate rations. I can tell you that sat out in the Dornoch Firth on a freezing but calm sunny day, looking at the snow covered mountains, hearing nothing but the sound of water lapping at the tubes, whilst drinking piping hot chicken and mushroom soup , is what ribbing is all about. However, one thing that has not been mentioned yet (I think) is gloves.

The first few times I went out I did not have gloves. it was mid winter and my hands got wet and very cold. Then my eldest daughter (marine biologist and diver) brought me a pair of neoprene diving gloves. They are fantastic. Warm, dry and you can still easily use your fingers for fairly fiddly things. Last week when out in sub-zero temperatures I was easily able to operate my new Garmin12 GPS (yes, Santa did bring it for me) whilst wearing the gloves.

Keith (warm hands) Hart
Old 10 January 2002, 18:01   #10

I have found that neoprene gloves are fine until they get wet and absorb water . . The wind chill then cools the water on the gloves resulting in hands that are even colder than they were in the first place !

Solution .....Wear a cheap pair of woolly gloves (£1 )or better still a cheap pair of Thinsulate lined woolly gloves (£3) under the Light weight neoprene gloves . The wool gloves although wet through the neoprene insulate your hands from the cold wind chilled neoprene and Voila ! Warm Paws ! ( Sort of a woolly wet suit for your hands ) It also prevents your nands from getting neoprene stink !

I have looked at dry gloves but to be honest , the seals are either incredibly tight or else the gloves themselves are too bulky to be of use.

Best wishes ( and warm Mitts !)

Stuart
www.powerboat.org
Old 10 January 2002, 19:47   #11

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
I agree that the best solution is a dry suit with thermals under. However the thermals sold by most boat or diving shops are a rip off. If you find a caving shop, or go to daleswear.co.uk you can pick up super thermal suits used for caving much cheaper than the boat shops. i.e. for £28 for basic one

On the subject of gloves, there is a material called POWERDRY.
You can get gloves made from Powerdry in most walking shops. I use these on the boat and for climbing in winter and they work wonders keeping you hands warm even when soaking wet. They are also quite tight allowing fine work to be done without taking them off.
The other good thing is if things ever get dry they dry out very fast.

Dont bother with the other Polortec or fiberpile gloves they dont work when wet.

Have fun and roll on summer

Gary
Old 10 January 2002, 21:18   #12

Where do you get the power dry gloves??

Best wishes ,

Stuart
www.powerboat.org
Old 11 January 2002, 12:33   #13

Town: N.C.
Stuart,
Malden Mills makes the material, try a google search. I was able to come up with several American companies that sell Power Dry products. Hope this helps.
Neil
Old 11 January 2002, 19:03   #14

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Where to buy

Hi Stuart

I got mine from the Karrimor factory shop which is close to me.
I think they cost about £12. Not sure if they still do then but there number is 01254 893134. If you have no luck there try your local walking/outdoor shop.

However powerdry is a type of fabric made by Polartec I think so there will be lots of manufactures using the fabric. If you cant get Powerdry, Powerstretch is also quite good just a bit thicker.

When buying gloves though make sure is Powerdry/Powerstretch ther are a lot of similar fabric names, prodry etc and they dont work as well.

have a look on www.polartec.com for some info on the fabrics

Regards Gary
Old 12 January 2002, 08:46   #15

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi folks,

I am in no position to disagree with stuart about the neoprene gloves, however all I can say is that they have suited ME for MY NEEDS (short trips up to a couple of hours). These needs are different from those of a professional ribbster. This of course proves the point that there is no perfect solution for everybody all of the time. You have to experiment and find out what is best for you in your own situation. RibNet is just perfect for this kind of discussion, lots of different people, many of them very experienced and some (me) not very experienced all able to contribute their own ideas from all over the world.

Yes, the internet is a fantastic thing.

So, now another idea. Whilst we were away my aforementioned daughter forgot to take her own diving gloves. The solution was a pair of household rubber washing up gloves (you know what I mean gentlemen, Marigold type), which we managed to get in stylish black. These went over a pair of ordinary woolen gloves. Karen reports that they kept her hands WARM & DRY. This was a cheap and simple solution. Also being black they actualy looked quite professional!

Regards

Keith Hart