Old 17 October 2007, 20:35   #1

Town: Australia
Boat name: Independent (Indy)
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin 90hp E-Tec 2016
Anyone with Prestige cat 490 Knowledge

Hi,

Considering picking up a prestige 490 catamaran hull in Australia. I am wondering if anyone has first hand experience with these boats that could shed light on its handling and characteristics, quality etc.

It is kitted out with twin 50hp 4 stroke hondas. I will primarily want to use it for Diving. Though probaly not as much usable floor space as my current dive platform, being a 4.3m quicksilver, with 40hp tiller.

I would appreciate any constructive help.

Regards.
Old 18 October 2007, 05:16   #2

Town: Australia
Boat name: Independent (Indy)
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin 90hp E-Tec 2016
Further to the innitial query

Being a catamaran style hull, how would it handle in choppy seas? ie: will it be a crap ride say compared to a reasonable V??

Regards.
Old 07 February 2008, 05:40   #3

Town: California
Boat name: N/A
Make: Prestige
Length: 4m +
Engine: 90 hp inboard
elperrojack

Yes!! I own a 490 CAT outfitted with a 90 hp yamaha 2 stroke. THis boat is great. Very stable and tracks well. May be a little bumpier than a V however overall this hull, I feel is superior. Better on fuel and wider at the bow. The V will handle heavy seas a bit better. yet on most days this hull will be fine. for fishing or diving this boat is like a platform. How old is your boat and have you had any issues?
Old 07 February 2008, 18:02   #4

Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
catamaran

I did rig and sell a lot of cats, in France and foreign countries.

First I sold the italian Prestige, made by G.Pennati, who sold his know-how in South Africa.
I never rode the 490 with 2 motors, so I have no precise opinion on it, but knowing very well all the other ones from 4.5m up to 7.2, there is no reason to have something different.
My opinion now : they begin to handle well from 6 metre and up, the 720 is fantastic, very fast, uses very low fuel, comfortable.
The small sizes are rough ...

Then I sold another South Africa made cat line, Stingray. Nothing to compare with Prestige :
the overall look is worse, but the handling is very different, due to a special tunnel shape which incorporates longitudinal steps, and creates a sucking action - tunnel section is slightly increasing from bow to transom.
The hull have a much higher section and volume than Prestige, so much less sensitive to load

Several models require 2 engines (51, 61) other accept single or twin (44, 54, 75) but the twin is much better in all conditions.

Incredibly safe in high winds, very fast too. I have a 51 with 2x50 Tohatsu, running to 45 knots, and a 61, 37kn with the same engines.
The 61 is able to go to plane on a single 50hp with 6 people on board.

Stingray is more on the professional side, no perfect mirror gelcoat ... but you will never break a hull even if you beach on rocks - don't try with a Prestige !

Should you have the possibility to choose between Prestige and Stingray, choose Stingray
Old 08 February 2008, 03:39   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
The dealer that I bought my Gemini from on Vancouver Island owns a stringray predator (catamaran) rib - somewhere around 4.9m or 5.1m. This is first time I've seen them mentioned on Rib.net.

http://www.stingraymarine.co.za/?Tas...t=PREDATOR+RIB
Old 24 February 2008, 21:24   #6

Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
stingray cats

the 4.9m is made for single engine or light twin, but the 5.1 is for twin, mandatory, it doesn't run on a single fitted in the transom center - but ok if you fit it like a twin !

The 5.1 is a great boat, it has 1.45m between tubes inside beam, with a flat deck. Dry deck at rest is not common too, and tubes are 10cm above sea level at rest.
In France it is CE approved for 15 people !
On rough sea and against strong wind, incredibly safe
Old 25 February 2008, 00:55   #7

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Thanks Yorfuoj. It would have been the 4.9m then since it used a single outboard.