Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 February 2007, 10:55   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: CORNWALL
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 133
Anyone Know

1:A Good Paint For Spraying On New Trailer Wheels(trying To Get Some Extra Protection)

2:A Source For Stainless U Bolts.(40 X 110 Approx)

If Anyone Knows If The Use Of Stainless U Bolts On A Trailer Securing The Roller Pivit Arms Assembly To The Trailer Chassis Would Be Ok.
(iam Aware That Hi Tensile Steel Is The Norm`)
__________________

__________________
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2007, 12:08   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
The best paint is epoxy zinc followed by an epoxy or PU topcoat - the wheels must be sandblasted first to provide a good key.

Prob the easiest is to find a local company who does powder coatings etc.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2007, 12:15   #3
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The best paint is epoxy zinc followed by an epoxy or PU topcoat - the wheels must be sandblasted first to provide a good key.

Prob the easiest is to find a local company who does powder coatings etc.
Might be cheaper to just buy new rims once the old ones have rusted too much. Would propbably take a few years anyway.
__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2007, 12:36   #4
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky View Post
1:A Good Paint For Spraying On New Trailer Wheels(trying To Get Some Extra Protection)
If you get hot-dipped galvanized rims, they'll probably outlast the rest of the trailer (may not look "as-new", but they'll be in good shape.) A quick spray with a hose is about all it takes to maintain them.

Make sure you use either grease or anti-seize on the studs and lug nuts (or bolts, or whatever you have) because these are usually the first things to go (from a wheel standpoint, anyway); anti-seize between the hub and the wheel is not a bad idea, either.


Quote:
If Anyone Knows If The Use Of Stainless U Bolts On A Trailer Securing The Roller Pivit Arms Assembly To The Trailer Chassis Would Be Ok.
(iam Aware That Hi Tensile Steel Is The Norm`)
I usually replace steel U-bolts with SS as corrosion dictates. Again, hot dipped galvanized usually hold up pretty well; it's the zinc plated ones that rapidly fail.

If you're worried about strength, go plus-one on size (bolt diameter.) I've never had a problem with the SS stuff.

If you use SS hardware, use a good anti-seize paste when assembling so as to minimize pockets where water can collect; salt water in the crevices will breed aerobic bacteria, then anaerobic bacteria. The by-products of anaerobic bacteria are sulphuric acid compounds, which causes crevice corrosion.

Sorry, no source for you, but a good marine trailer place should be able to point you in the right direction.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2007, 12:46   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Hey Calamity Kid!! FWB (Formerly Techfast) at Threemilestone will supply quality galvanised U bolts Sticky. I wouldn't bother with SS. If you want to be super keen, give them a squirt of aerosol Tenacious gear oil every now and then. As for the rims, if you give them a good hosing after every dunking (preferaby before you head off home) they shouldn't fall to bits.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2007, 02:45   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: CORNWALL
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Hey Calamity Kid!! FWB (Formerly Techfast) at Threemilestone will supply quality galvanised U bolts Sticky. I wouldn't bother with SS. If you want to be super keen, give them a squirt of aerosol Tenacious gear oil every now and then. As for the rims, if you give them a good hosing after every dunking (preferaby before you head off home) they shouldn't fall to bits.
Dont know about the "Calamity Kid"(Cheeky Bar`stool)
I seriously think Falmouth is a jinxed destination !Last trip prop`this time blow out,buckled rim and sheared u bolt.Yes I wash down every trip, the trailer is only 3-4yrs old.
Ive had the u bolt inspected and it appears that stress fractures were responsible for the break,looks like they might be cold formed instead of heat.So having to check all the others !Plus waiting on a reply from the manufacturer!!!!!!
I see from the pics you did`nt get "Hey Joe" wet.
__________________

__________________
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.