Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce
6.3m RIB with 90 HP

We were originally looking at the 115. I have found the 90 gets 40 knots without any problem. Its a very light boat and planes easily. My conclusion is your best of putting on a smaller engine than you would generally think for the same size boat. Keeps fuel, service and purchase prices all down as well.
I have the number one boat with the Evinrude on it. I have had it for over a year now (and owe Lee and Doug a beer for not getting them out in it for a demo when they wanted it) and it has now done well over 100 hours without a hint of a problem. The tubes are excellent and have worn well with several people climbing over them with skis/boards on, the ride still attracts positive comments from seasoned powerboaters and ribbers and the economy is exceptional (because of all Dougs comments about being light/quick to plane etc). Mine has a 15 pitch prop on it which means that it cruises at 24k at 4k revs and maxes at 37k which is fine for the Solent in most conditions and I have only ever wished for more speed when I am commuting on it (I sail a LOT from Cowes) and the water has been flat. It runs at about 10l/hour (as does the no.2 boat with the Mercury Optimax 115 because we met up and checked!). I am really pleased with and will probably only change upwards to another Leeway.

Sorry for the late reply but I have only just been introduced to this forum. To be honest I was aware of all the "providence" grief of the design when I bought it but didn't give a f**k if someone was feeling precious!
Old 19 July 2006, 18:48   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Tin hat on and retire to concrete bunker
Stephen:

It doesn't help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_to_fcuk.JPG
Views:	204