Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 02 December 2002, 18:57   #1

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Anyone had experience of taking rib to Brittany on holiday ?

I mean taking boat over to Brittany on the ferry, not ribbing across !

Might be able to pursuade family to take RIB with us on holiday this year to Brittany, has anybody got any knowledge of which ports / harbours are picturesque and have good launching facilities ?

I have heard that this area has lovely beaches and some islands to explore ?

Anybody else done this or has knowledge of the area ?
Old 02 December 2002, 19:38   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hello

Brittany is indeed a wonderful place to cruise and discover.You have a number of options afforded to you. Brittany Ferries sail between Portsmouth and St.Malo and you can trailer a rib/boat under 6 m - which according to your profile you have. From here, the ferry terminal, there are two slips immediately adjacent where you can launch your rib. Now, depending on the time available and what you consider to be your idea of fun, one possibility is clearing the barrage ('round the corner) and entering the Rance which you can cruise, well, as far as the Med if you like. You can also continue on until the canal splits, take a right and come out in the Vanne area. Wonderful huge waterways - much like the Solent - this would be a week or possibly even two to make it really worthwhile.

Another option is to catch the Condor Ferry from either Poole, Portsmouth or Weymouth to either Jersey or Guernsey and start your trip here? If you have elected to go directly to St.Malo this is also possible with Condor. Maybe, once having launched in the St.Malo area you can explore Mont St.Michel, Chausey and Granville - all pretty close in a rib.

You can head west to S-Brieuc, St. Quay Portrieux, Binic and then Paimpol.

I might even join you. I know Geoff Campbell was thinking of a similar thing to do. Let me know if this helps.
Old 02 December 2002, 23:10   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Matiboy,

Brittany and boats go together perfectly! I bought my SIB with the intention of packing it into the car boot and taking it over, but haven't achieved that yet If you don't take your RIB over, you will regret it! We have taken holidays there for the last ten years, and every one's been fantastic. There are four things you need to start planning - Michelin 230 (Bretagne), the two Yachting Monthly Pilot books ("North Brittany & Channel Islands" and "West France"), and of course a chart - the Imray water resistant charts cover the area well, but depends on which area you intend to visit.

The character of the coast changes as you go aroung the Brittany peninsula. From the Channel Islands, nestling in the corner of Normandy and Brittany, as you travel west, there is the Emerald coast (St Malo-St Brieuc) and the Rose Granite Coast (St Brieuc - Morlaix) - I've not visited these two areas, but they look good in the books. Then as you head further westwards, you're out into Finisterre - like Cornwall but even more remote! The Abers are spectacular (Aber Wrac'h, Aber Benoit, Aber Ildut) and the Ile D'Ouessant is like the Scillies. The seas out here get quite rough though, even in mid-summer. You can take a day trip by fast launch (60' planing hull!) from Le Conquet to Ile D'Ouessant if you don't get a weather window. Rade de Brest is a huge expanse of water (French Nuclear subs based up here) and I'll be holidaying up here (at Port Launay, up the river from Chataulin) for part of next summer if plans come to fruition.

The Crozon Peninsula is arguably the most beautiful part of Brittany. Huge white cliffs rise out of the Atlantic, but leave beautiful beaches at low tide. Avoid Douarnanez - smelly commercial port (sardine canning factory) and then it gets rough and rugged as you head out around the Pointe du Raz.

Southwards it's a bit flat for a while until you get to one of the best windsurfing beaches in the area at Pointe de la Torche - and it certainly catches the weather out here! Then at pointe de Penmarch it starts to change (Eckmul lighthouse is a major local landmark). As you go Eastwards along the south facing coast, you'll notice the weather getting kinder by the mile. Loctudy is a commercial fishing port, but the next place is Benodet (busy and touristy) opposite Ste Marine (quaint, picture-post-card place) and the river Odet is amazing - no mud banks - just granite boulders on both sides. And incredible for fishing - there's a huge bass population. This is my favorite coastline from here eastwards - Isles de Glenan are my goal for one day (a bit like Keith's Orkney goal!). Beg Meil is a tourist resort. Fouesnant is a major marina and cider capital of Brittany. Concarneau is a historic walled old town, commercial fishing port and marina. Pointe de Trevignon has superb beaches, a harbour, weekly fish market and a popular slipway. Port Manech is one of my favorite places - a tiny harbour at the mouth of the tidal river Aven (like Salcombe a hundred years ago). Then further eastwards there are more islands - Ils de Groix and Belle Isle - both perfect for RIB expeditions.

From memory there are lots of launch sites (and Geoff's boatlaunch site covers some french slipways) but their attitude to boating is different. I don't think you'll find slipway fees, but of course you need an ICC, and the correct home&courtesty flags. And if you wonder why French boats all seem to have auxiliary engines - that's because their government run their equivalent of the RNLI, which IS NOT FREE! In fact they're likely to claim salvage

French launching technique also interesting - they don't like getting the wheel bearings wet, so lots of people use break-back trailers (using the Dave Mallet demonstrated technique of "over the side" - so you may find some launch sites, esp. along rivers, are just a low quay without slipway) or some people just bang on the brakes reversing down a steep slipway (like Pte de la Trevignon) and the boat flies off backwards. Great to watch!

However, you'll probably find that all the imfamous French bureaucracy is invisible because they actually love tourists - as there's hardly any industry in Brittany, it's their major income source.

And of course, the other good things are crepes, cider, and good wine for £2.50 a bottle

Enjoy!
Old 03 December 2002, 12:25   #4

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
We have towed various sibs and ribs to Normandy, Brittany, Vendee and Charente Maritime over the last 15 years, all with no problems (apart from trailer welding etc.). I have never had any problems with burocracy and the local ribsters are many and helpful. I have never been asked anything about ICC or SSR numbers (inland non tidal rivers and canals very different). Slipways are almost always free although there are many that suddenly stop with a sheer drop off the end at low-ish tide.
The atlantic swell is usually ok for ribs, there are lots of rivers and islands to explore and the sea temp is much better than here!
Two places stand out:
CONCARNEAU (the walled city) and surrounding district. You can circumnavigate the walled city in a rib and I recommend it - big marina, lots of free slips, plus the river Aven (leading to Pont Aven) is close by. We stay in a Haven campsite close by.
LA PALMYRE (close to Royan) and surrounding area. This is at the entrance of a large estuary leading to Bordeaux. Again loads of free slips and a variety of sheltered or coastal rib cruising waters. There is a lovely enclosed lagoon which is brill for watersports - all pure sand with no rocks.
Old 03 December 2002, 18:47   #5

Wow

pepper / alan

thanks for such a comprehensive responce

Alan we too would be staying at a french campsite in a mobile home, last year went to vendee but probably going to try Brittany this year

I would be looking for somewhere that is picturesque with an inlet / long river to explore as in reality with such young kids 4 & 7 I rarely take them out to sea for obvious reasons

Of course it would need a public slipway

I guess more interested in just being able to muck around in the boat up a river sunbathing, than bombing across anywhere rough which I could get kids into trouble.

This is why I end up spending so much time pottering up the Hamble as the solent can get bumpy even in a force 3 / 4.

The chap I bought the my boat from had a holiday home in Brittany and therefore boat appears to be SSR registered already which may help

I am sure many other people would consider this option as Brittany is so close to travel to that this could become a good source of info for others

Keep ideas coming and I'll get the map out !
Old 03 December 2002, 19:28   #6

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
If you need any books or charts let me know and I will let you borrow them

Alan P.

-- He who does not use charts anymore but has spent a fortune on them in the past and has more than he cares to think about
Old 03 December 2002, 19:40   #7

Hmmm

I wonder if I went onto a motorsport website forum for some info, would Michael Schumaker post a reply offering to let me borrow his tools for the weekend

Probably not, just shows what a usefull and generous forum Ribnet is

Cheers for the offer Alan
Old 03 December 2002, 21:45   #8

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
If by any chance you find yourself in St.Malo and you are low on fluel and if you haven't got a French credit card then forget about refuelling in the marina. Down there they just forget that we Brits may just cruise in and want to pay with our own plastic. What is wrong with our plastic anyway ?
This happened to us on the St. Malo cruise

Andre
Old 04 December 2002, 07:34   #9

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
Working in France, and having my home in the UK, I am up against this credit card problem all the time. In a nutshell, France in the last ten years has gone over entirely to the use of the cards with a 'puce' (The little gold microchip). This 'smart' technology enables any purchase to be made exactly as if using a UK cashpoint machine - ie by typing in a 4-digit code. So convenient and widespread is this technology that many retail outlets which do not do much business with non French customers (altho' St Malo fuel dock would not seem to be in this category!) no longer have the means / interest / competence to 'swipe' a UK card and produce a ticket for signature, which all seems to them terribly old-fashioned and complicated. I have to say, this does seem to be an area (along with motorway maintenance and rail transport) where our neighbours have got ahead of us in a big way! Further confusion arises because my UK cards are now equipped with a 'puce', which does not seem to be usable in their card readers... I daresay in time we shall catch up with this technology - probably round about the time when we go into the Euro!
Old 04 December 2002, 14:17   #10

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Les Sables D'Olonne is a good place further down the coast -easy launch and Rochelle ,D'Oleron etc within easy cruising distance;

I've been twice and found no trouble with the French sea cops;when they did pull me over in their 40 foot launch they were almost apologetic on realising I was a tourist;we had a chat and the amazing thing was that they were totally unfamiliar with the ICC certificate - they told me that in France you must carry a boat and engine manual;I had an engine manual but there is so little by way of "systems " on most RIBS that I had not bothered to bring the booklet telling me how to inflate and clean the tubes.

I'm thinking of leaving the boat in St.Malo for a couple of months next year to fully explore the Brittany region and the CI's -both beautiful and challenging I hope
Old 04 December 2002, 23:45   #11

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Re: Hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by matiboy
...would Michael Schumaker post a reply offering to let me borrow his tools for the weekend

Probably not...
I doubt he'd let you have a copy of the plans for his latest World Championship winning car either. Cheers Alan. You might not have made it all the way round, but you're certainly a winner.

Matt
Old 07 December 2002, 10:15   #12

Matiboy,

- have you booked anywhere yet?

If not, you probably need to get cracking - the seaside places get booked quickly. We often use "Chez Nous" who have cottages / gites and caravans.

It sounds like Morbihan would be ideal for what you want, but because it's so popular lots of people book year on year (we learnt to book 18mths in advance). Golfe du Morbihan is the huge inlet near Vannes which Charles described - there's loads of islands to explore (some with villages, some privately owned) and the city of Vannes at the northren shore has some beautiful medieval parts. At the exit to the sea, the currents are wicked (watch the yachties going backwards!) but you'll be OK with 50 horses. There's a huge marina at Port du Crouesty to the seaward of the eastern peninsula, where property prices are almost as unaffordable as the UK and holiday rentals accordingly expensive. Lots of new development around, unlike the western peninsula (Locmariaquer), where it's more remote. There's the French answer to Stonehenge up there too at Carnac (Les Alignements).

My preference would be to stay a little further up the coast to the west, where it's quieter and the rentals are more affordable, and to travel down the N165 to visit the surrounding areas.
Old 07 December 2002, 15:40   #13

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
PLEASE SEND INFO!

My ears have pricked up at all this talk of Brittany and slipways. If anyone knows of any slipways please please send them in to www.boatlaunch.co.uk as we often get asked about that coastline and it sounds fantastic. We should have a big update on Ireland before Christmas and northern France is top of the To Do list.

The attached picture is the slipway at the marina with a frenchman launching Dave Mallett style
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stmalomarina3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1452  
Old 07 December 2002, 16:48   #14

any other

pics of recommended harbours etc please post
Old 07 December 2002, 17:46   #15

Have a google search with a few place names - here's a some of the more interesting ones:

http://www.golfedumorbihan.com/

http://www.hku.nl/~ben/concarn.html

http://www.bretagne-celtic.com
Old 07 December 2002, 18:07   #16

Morbihan

certainly looks like it has lots of islands to explore

only now got to find out where it is ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	golfe1.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1453  
Old 07 December 2002, 18:11   #17

Morbihan

loads of islands and sheltered water, does anyone know if this dry's out at all at low tide ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cgolfe.gif
Views:	232
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1454  
Old 07 December 2002, 18:40   #18

Re: Morbihan

Quote:
Originally posted by matiboy
...now got to find out where it is ?
This should help a little...

Quote:
does anyone know if this dry's out at all at low tide ?
- Mrs Pepper reliably informs me that only the smaller creeks dry out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	map of france + arrow (lowres).jpg
Views:	583
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1455  
Old 07 December 2002, 19:56   #19

Pepper

we have seen a campsite in Baden through motours brochure who we booked with last year, have you been to this particular area ?

How would I find out if there are any slips in this particular area ?

Rather than take the rib on a trailer it might be easier to take a sib in roofbox with small outboard, I know of one which is currently lying around doing nothing which I can borrow

What is aprox distance / drive time from St Malo

It looks a lovely area with a huge sheltered inlet to explore
Old 07 December 2002, 21:51   #20

Matiboy,

I've never been to Baden - I assume that it's the place half way between Auray and Vannes?

If it's the Baden that I've seen on the map, I think this will be a good location. You'd be away from the busy presqu'il de Rhuys, but near enough to nip across to Port Navalo and enjoy lunch in the quayside cafe without worrying about parking on a busy summer's day.

I wouldn't worry about finding about slipways in advance, as it's a bit like the Hamble - lots of slips like Swanwick, Hamble, Warsash, etc... And the French look upon it as a RIGHT to be able to launch a boat and go fishing or maintain their lobster pots. And in fact I've had a quick surf (google again) and found you a slipway at Port Blanc, less than 5km away: Port Blanc, Morbihan - what a superb web site!!! - look at the link on the left ("La vie du port"), and then click on "Le port en image" when the sub-menu drops down. the first thumbnail shows you that the only problem you'll have is finding space amongst the dinghies.

Now, if you're considering taking a SIB instead of that lovely 5m RIB of yours, I reckon you shoud do a swop with me so I can take your RIB on holiday with me and you can take my SIB!

As far as journey times go, I'm not sure what it's like from St Malo, as we normally go on the Plymouth-Roscoff route. This is partly for personal reasons, as we meet friends & family in Plymouth, and partly to do the driving on "familiar" UK roads, than have a short journey in France. We've learnt to keep to the dual carriageways in Brittany for the arrival/departure journeys, as they are reliably quiet, fast and easy, and found that attempting to go cross-country can be slow and tiring (A-roads can be more like B-roads) . There are no toll roads in Brittany. We've also found that the Plymouth-Roscoff ferry times work well - outward journey at 3pm Saturday allows enough daytome travelling with a reasonably early start, and the 10pm arrival at Roscoff means that midnight to 1am arrival is sort of ok, but I guess that with children and going to a camp site, it could be unacceptable. An overnight en route could be better - we usually use Formule 1 or Premiere Classe as they're really dead, dead cheap (~£20 a room per night) and they're all out of town (usually on an industrial estate) so no problem parking, leaving luggage in car, or even leaving a trailer hitched. (Alternatively Ibis Hotels can be useful. There's one at Landivisiau which is handy for Roscoff. Not useful for much else, as Landivisiau is the most boring place in France, IMHO.) Coming back, we usualy take the 11pm sailing (allows time for a leisurely journey back up country) and book cabins. Arrival back in Plymouth is about 6am. And last time we did this there was a cabaret on the boat with an excellent illusionist.

Of course, we will expect a FULL rib.net report on your expedition!