Old 02 April 2013, 12:27   #1

Town: Swansea
Boat name: Space Hopper
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 75
Anyone from South Wales (Swansea)

Hi

I have been ribbing a number of years in and around Swansea but haven't actually been out with other people on their ribs too. We went across to Ilfracombe from Swansea last summer, something i have been wanting to do for a long time and it was great.

Going to be doing the same again this summer, was wondering if anyone one else wanted to meet up and make a day of it, or even just a blast around gower. Ilfracombe took about an hour to get across and there are plenty of pubs to greet you the other side :P

Be nice to meet up with some other ribbing enthusiasts.

Let me know if you fancy it

Craig
Old 02 April 2013, 14:47   #2

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Hi,

I posted a thread asking the same question on the SIBing forum. I have am getting a rib in the next month (3.6m with 30hp tohatsu) with a good top speed of 30 knots, would I keep up with you?

I launch from oxwich bay and mumbles.

Henry
Old 02 April 2013, 15:50   #3

Hi Henry

Yes you could keep up no probs, we didnt really rush across, i think we probably averaged about 25 knots, but its a nice crossing so i dont mind going slower if need be.

We will have to meet up when its a bit warmer!
Old 25 March 2014, 15:24   #4

Hi Henry

With the impending summer I am looking for some fellow rib followers to do some trips, Ilfracombe and Lundy island come to mind.

Was wondering if you still had yours?

Craig
Old 25 March 2014, 16:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctaggart View Post
Hi Henry

With the impending summer I am looking for some fellow rib followers to do some trips, Ilfracombe and Lundy island come to mind.

Was wondering if you still had yours?

Craig
i've actually upgraded to a 4m searider. Currently doing a little restoration project. I haven't yet bought an engine but I will have by the summer. I also have a friend who has a searider and I am sure he would be up for doing Swansea bay to Lundy or to Ilfracombe.

Looking forward to it, will have to see if anyone else wants to get involved

link to my restoration http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/searider...urb-61241.html
Old 27 March 2014, 12:05   #6

Looks good! Always nice to have a little project to keep us men busy. We bought a RibTec 5.2 metre a couple of years ago with a 75hp merc two stroke on the back. Spent a bit of money on it upgrading it and its looking good.

Put an A frame on the back and fitted some rear seating which is also a cool box, we also did some hull repairs last year, nothing major just a bit of a tidy up, although i did learn that its hard work sanding the hull!!!!

When we first bought it 2 years ago

Put an A-Frame on her last year so we could ski off the back and totally redone the electrics as they were horrific!

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps5a4e5426.jpg

The engine had a full rebuild too last year after losing compression on one of the cylinders, so while it was apart we gave it a total overhaul. New pistons rings, changed a few bearings and the power head was unserviceable so we put a new one in. Turns out the automatic oil feed wasnt supplying enough oil and it partially seized a piston. So the garage advice was to remove the automatic oiler and just do premix, so we always 100% sure its getting oil.

Suffice to say its a brand new engine, which i much prefer as I know how its been looked after and it gets serviced every year.

We changed the prop to a stainless steel one and increased the pitch as the old one was dangerously allowing the engine to over rev on WOT. She has gone from having a top speed of 25mph to 42mph, although to be honest i dont like going that fast its bloody scary.

Cant wait to go out on it again this year, we should definetly meet up and go around gower, would be nice to see how your getting on with yours.

Craig
Old 27 March 2014, 15:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctaggart View Post
Looks good! Always nice to have a little project to keep us men busy. We bought a RibTec 5.2 metre a couple of years ago with a 75hp merc two stroke on the back. Spent a bit of money on it upgrading it and its looking good.

Put an A frame on the back and fitted some rear seating which is also a cool box, we also did some hull repairs last year, nothing major just a bit of a tidy up, although i did learn that its hard work sanding the hull!!!!

When we first bought it 2 years ago

Put an A-Frame on her last year so we could ski off the back and totally redone the electrics as they were horrific!

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps5a4e5426.jpg

The engine had a full rebuild too last year after losing compression on one of the cylinders, so while it was apart we gave it a total overhaul. New pistons rings, changed a few bearings and the power head was unserviceable so we put a new one in. Turns out the automatic oil feed wasnt supplying enough oil and it partially seized a piston. So the garage advice was to remove the automatic oiler and just do premix, so we always 100% sure its getting oil.

Suffice to say its a brand new engine, which i much prefer as I know how its been looked after and it gets serviced every year.

We changed the prop to a stainless steel one and increased the pitch as the old one was dangerously allowing the engine to over rev on WOT. She has gone from having a top speed of 25mph to 42mph, although to be honest i dont like going that fast its bloody scary.

Cant wait to go out on it again this year, we should definetly meet up and go around gower, would be nice to see how your getting on with yours.

Craig
Sounds great, i'm still looking for an engine so if you know of any in the 50-60hp range near by give me a shout

Be nice to do a bit of touring of the gower and a bit of fishing with so company.

We have a caravan so are down on weekends and holidays, infact im down this weekend.

See you in the summer