Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 September 2015, 12:37   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 45
anyone ever used a company to transport a RIB?

Hi, as many of the RIBs for sale in the UK are on the South Coast, has anyone ever used a company to transport their trailered RIB to them?
There are negatives to this (price being a major one) such as not being able to see the boat in person, but if it was bought from a reputable dealer and you have seen one in the flesh yourself to know what it should be like these fears can be reduced.

In short, how much would you say it might cost to transport a 4m RIB from say Devon to Glasgow, some 500 miles.

thanks
__________________

__________________
miktek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 12:58   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hartlepool
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard petrol 9.8
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
I have....i used shiply and it give me quotes from reputable couriers, got a zodiac futura boat,engine and trailer collected from norfolk to the north east england, very cheap 130 it would have cost me a full day plus fuel... would definitely use again!
__________________

__________________
dazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 13:13   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo View Post
I have....i used shiply and it give me quotes from reputable couriers, got a zodiac futura boat,engine and trailer collected from norfolk to the north east england, very cheap 130 it would have cost me a full day plus fuel... would definitely use again!
wow, that sounds excellent

that must have been a good 200 miles.
How was it delivered? Do they put it on a flatbed or vehicle transporter for the long part of the journey then switch to a small van for the final mile? Or just tow it the whole way?
I get 24MPG in my 4x4, so picking up in Devon would cost me 3 tanks of fuel for the round trip = 240 at least. Then the time off work and a night in a hotel.
__________________
miktek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 14:34   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hartlepool
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard petrol 9.8
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
The lad who delivered mine had a long flatbed trailer, so in effect it was piggy backed! He also had one of them sit on tractor grass cutter so he's obviously picking up on route making a living.

As long as you and the seller are fairly flexible then it should be great. I had even cheaper quotes to get one picked up from south london...just under 100, all couriers have feedback just like e bay and they all submit their price to you!
__________________
dazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 14:42   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
miktek - there's at least one person on this forum that offers this as a service (I have forgotten his username for now - but searching for boat delivery will probably reveal him). I see the attraction, but unless I think it would be worth the hassle of a trip to where you are buying from just for the reassurance that all is well. If you can't spare a long weekend to meet the new love of your life, is it going to be a long lasting happy relationship!

The bonus of a trip somewhere far away is you get to spend the weekend playing with your new toy in different waters.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 14:53   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
miktek - there's at least one person on this forum that offers this as a service (I have forgotten his username for now - but searching for boat delivery will probably reveal him). I see the attraction, but unless I think it would be worth the hassle of a trip to where you are buying from just for the reassurance that all is well. If you can't spare a long weekend to meet the new love of your life, is it going to be a long lasting happy relationship!

The bonus of a trip somewhere far away is you get to spend the weekend playing with your new toy in different waters.
Hi, yeah I totally understand what you are saying.
If I was to go down this route (it's only an idea for now) I'd have to see many, many photos of the boat in the condition I should receive it in. Another possible idea would be to instruct a survey on the craft by a reputable firm.
In any case, I've created a dummy quote from 'Shiply' to see how much they would charge for about a 500 mile trip, with the boat being between 4.5-5m.

Thanks for your help
__________________
miktek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 14:54   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo View Post
The lad who delivered mine had a long flatbed trailer, so in effect it was piggy backed! He also had one of them sit on tractor grass cutter so he's obviously picking up on route making a living.

As long as you and the seller are fairly flexible then it should be great. I had even cheaper quotes to get one picked up from south london...just under 100, all couriers have feedback just like e bay and they all submit their price to you!
thanks for that!
__________________
miktek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 16:21   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 356
There are loads of people doing this type of work. I recently had a boat hauled 160 miles for 500 because you pay for the round trip. This was on a standard twin axle trailer.

The guy who did it, Ray at Central Boat Haulage, was awesome and very knowledgeable. He actually squeezed me in despite being incredibly busy because one of his competitors dropped me right in it. First guy wouldn't wait an hour for the crane and left without completing the job. He was 400 down on the day and must have spent 100 in diesel trailing an empty trailer round the country.
__________________

__________________
Portholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.