Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM SOMERS View Post
The boat is being used by RIB International in the Round Scotland Challenge this August and has been endorsed by their Editor on many occasions.
I thought they are using a searider for the round scotland challenge, in fact im sure they are.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2008, 08:57   #22

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
thats quite funny as the ribcraft 4.8 is only 23 deg at the transom.
And the Humber Assault is 30° but everybody says that its got a shallow vee. Obviously the depth of the vee is not everything !
Old 27 April 2008, 20:43   #23

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha
I've driven both - both seem good boats and capable enough but I bought the ribcraft - for me its a better all round setup and really well made

sounds like you've made you're mind up on the Valiant - just trying to get some agreement on here....

My vote is for the Ribcraft though - you'd probably get the extra money back when selling it on - the ribcraft seem to hold their value well
Old 28 April 2008, 20:00   #24

Town: saltash cornwall
Boat name: scokat
Make: ribcraft
Length: 585
Engine: 140 suzuki
HI, I owned a 4.8 for two seasons , great boat, resale was excellent, caught the bug and purchased a 585 ribcraft which I have now owned for 4 years, these boats perform to a very high standard in all sea states
at the end of the day you get what you pay for!
Old 29 April 2008, 10:37   #25

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
in my mind the Ribcraft would be the better choice. Has a great little hull on her, very good performance and sea keeping. console is well placed and the boat is balanced right. I took one round britain back on the RB4 Challenge. 3 Ribcrafts entered all of them 4.8s and all came home safe.

Other than that you have the choice from XS-RIBs, Ribtec's 455, Ribeye 500 A Series, MRLs range of itailian RIBs with british hulls. If your looking for the valiant styling, then its maybe something to consider. Edward from MRL imports them over then rigs them in southampton, changing all the small fixings etc to make them a craft which is suitable to the UK market and wont fall apart. Just an Idea.

Tom
Old 02 May 2008, 15:30   #26

Town: Villars
Boat name: Tally-Ho
Make: Scorpion
Length: 9m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 300xs
Interesting comparison with the A3. My memories of driving an A3 are that they have no sterring feel, ride and handling are certainly not with the best. They do have an Audi badge though which is probably why nost get bought

CraigH - You don't mention what use you will put the boat to?

I've got a Valiant 520 and for what i want to use it for, I couldn't find a better compromise between performance, space, and function. We've used it many times to go out to the Eddystone and it's performed without fault. I don't have jockey type seats becasue it's a leisure craft.

Horses for courses as they say.

Steve.
Old 03 May 2008, 00:16   #27

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Interesting comparison with the A3. My memories of driving an A3 are that they have no sterring feel, ride and handling are certainly not with the best. They do have an Audi badge though which is probably why nost get bought

CraigH - You don't mention what use you will put the boat to?

I've got a Valiant 520 and for what i want to use it for, I couldn't find a better compromise between performance, space, and function. We've used it many times to go out to the Eddystone and it's performed without fault. I don't have jockey type seats becasue it's a leisure craft.

Horses for courses as they say.

Steve.
Hi steve was it you we met in cawsand just off the beach last year , or maybe the year before come to think of it .The description of your boat rings a bell and i think it was nearly new back then, I think you had been fishing at the eddystone that day.
we would have been in our red 490 .
Old 03 May 2008, 18:27   #28

Town: Villars
Boat name: Tally-Ho
Make: Scorpion
Length: 9m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 300xs
Hi Ian,

Yes, I remember. Nice little sun spot there.

Been really pleased with the outfit. Ultimatley the console is too far back for serious conditions as it wants to land on it's bum so to speak. The family won't come out when it's like that though. But, the space in the boat is great for us o the best compromise for us.
Wish we had gone for the 90 e-tec for the added top end but still think the extra is a lot to pay over the 75. Amazed at the economy.

I've just taken the boat down to storage ready for the summer so hopefully bump into you.

Steve.
Old 03 May 2008, 23:27   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Hi Ian,

Yes, I remember. Nice little sun spot there.

Been really pleased with the outfit. Ultimatley the console is too far back for serious conditions as it wants to land on it's bum so to speak. The family won't come out when it's like that though. But, the space in the boat is great for us o the best compromise for us.
Wish we had gone for the 90 e-tec for the added top end but still think the extra is a lot to pay over the 75. Amazed at the economy.

I've just taken the boat down to storage ready for the summer so hopefully bump into you.

Steve.
Yes see you about hopefully . same as you mate the family enjoy it when its too lumpy , can't blame them really .

i never quite understood why the higher output version of the same engines cost so much more . It seems you pay per HP not for the actual motor .
Old 04 May 2008, 07:54   #30

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
I think the RC is the best RIB by far, even better than an Avon or an Osprey
Yeah, RC are very good boats, without doubt, but let's not get too carried away. RC have a very sorted production process, but they're not perfect. The 585 is nose light, try and blat one in 3ft of chop with a bit of trim on. She'll dance a merry jig.
How much experience do you have of Ospreys and Avons?
Old 04 May 2008, 15:35   #31

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
osprey, incredible hull,
Old 04 May 2008, 19:16   #32

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
i never quite understood why the higher output version of the same engines cost so much more . It seems you pay per HP not for the actual motor .

Doesn't make much sense, does it? I wonder if the manufacturers are subjected to significantly higher ('envioronmental') tax penalties based on the power output of each OB they produce.
Old 04 May 2008, 20:48   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Doesn't make much sense, does it? I wonder if the manufacturers are subjected to significantly higher ('envioronmental') tax penalties based on the power output of each OB they produce.
I never thought of the tax reason , good point . it seems to be the same with all vehicles though not just boats
Old 06 May 2008, 13:31   #34
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Hi Craig,

Here is a pic taken during the menai 480.SR test ride the other week. Have you managed to secure a test ride on the other RIBs yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim 12-04-08 151.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	34585  
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote