Old 01 November 2002, 16:44   #1
Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Anybody had success buying gear on web from states

If anybody has had any success buying gear direct from a US website please let me know

I get the impresion many US firms are not willing to ship to UK

Examples of cheaper gear are handheld VHF, gps , etc

matiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2002, 17:10   #2
Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I bought a handheld radio a few years back from West Marine, although we won't tell the RA that.

DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2002, 17:16   #3
Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
I've bought a few odd & sods from the States via the web over the past year with no probs. However, by the time carriage and customs duty ( ) have been added the savings may not be that much. Also, what do you do if it goes wrong?
Peter (nick, nick) T

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2002, 17:18   #4
Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Quite a few US based retailers I've looked at online refuse to ship electronics stuff outside of the US. Plus knowing what a lot of delivery companies are like with regards to the safe, careful handling of delicate goods, don't think I'd fancy chancing it anyway.

But yeah, the prices are generally much lower. For example the basic Garmin eTrex is about 130 over here, and in the States retails at about $130, which works out cheaper.

Matt (who needs fancy electronics for a SIB anyway) Brown

PS: Keith, are these brackets some sort of condition you get when you get into the world of SIBs? Can't seem to get rid of em...
narked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2002, 17:34   #5
Town: Berkshire and Devon
Make: Lodestar
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 5hp
Worst thing is when you get clobbered for duty. Customs seem good at knowing what they're looking for. They can sniff out software a mile away, not sure about electronics. I was browsing thru' Ebay this morning, and noticed lots of feedback from people who'd bought digital cameras from a Singapore trader who offered a good deal, but lots of buyers got stung by customs.

Last year my sister sent me a present from New Zeland which Parcel Force added 60 c.o.d. onto for duty paid... She'd been so thoughtful, I didn't have the heart to tell her of my misfortune!

)so how do these bracket things work?(
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2002, 19:18   #6
Town: N.C.
Always willing to help...

you can private message me and we could discuss what you want...cheers
sirzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2002, 01:30   #7
Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
matiboy, it can and, for me anyway, it does work.

I have used West Marine because, having been into one of their stores in Charleston, South Carolina, I know they are part of a very big chain. My experience of dealing on line with them is first rate.

For example, I ordered a Bennett trim tab rig, from in May this year and having paid by card on-line the stuff was with me in 48 hours.

The usual dollar for a pound exchange rate applies, so my thousands dollars bought kit including freight that would have cost a grand in the UK. That saving came to 360 quid before tax.

I did get clobbered for duty, freight tax and VAT which added about 130 quid making the nett saving about 230 - 23%. Not bad.

There are obviously down-sides to buying from abroad but if the purchase is big enough - say, a new SIB for Narked - it could be worth it. And try haggling. When I told them the saving wasn't big enough they increased the discount.

Check out

You can even phone them free on a UK number...

0800 895473 though I haven't tried this myself yet. They respond quickly and politely to emails.

Finally, I did check with Customs and Excise on what is taxed and what is not. Worth doing. Apparently flow meters are not taxed if imported from the USA. My next purchase is a Floscan fuel guage and I may buy that from West Marine. It's just a bit iffy because the thing is not that expensive and the saving may not be worth the hassle if it goes wrong.

Hope that's of help
Mike G
Mike Garside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2002, 03:12   #8
Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
PS: Keith, are these brackets some sort of condition you get when you get into the world of SIBs? Can't seem to get rid of em...

Well lets consider this. Which came first - the bracket or the SIB?

I think you'll actualy find that the sort of person attracted to brackets are the same sort as are attracted to SIBs.

Consider this about brackets, or to give them their full title Semantically Insertable Brackets or SIB's as they are known in the literary world:
1. Brackets are very soft, they have nice rounded edges
2. They are versatile, they do not need any special place to insert them. Just read around, find a nice looking sentence and insert your brackets.
3. They are inexpensive
4. They do not require many words to keep them going
5. Brackets can be carried around in your head. You do not require a large expensive dictionary to transport them about.
6. You can not read huge tracts with brackets, BUT you can put brackets where normal sentences can't go.

Compare to normal sentences, Regular Incomprehensible Bumpf, or RIBs as they are known in the literary world, and you will see just how useful brackets are.

Keith ((double strength)) Hart
Small boat - BIG truck
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2002, 04:54   #9
Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Folks

I have also looked at the states and agree once you add the import duty etc is not worth doing.

However !!

You can often buy cheaper from other EU countries and there is then no import duty, VAT etc to pay as long as you pay the duty required in the country of purchase.

Its great to see just how much we get ripped of in this country, great ant it

Regards Gary
Garygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2002, 05:10   #10
Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos

I have been reading your comments about bying staff from the US and that is expenssive due to UK import duty and tax.Over the years I have bought quite a few things (the latest being two state of the art racing seats for my new RIB with pre-pressurised shockers @ 30lbs, 4 point safety belts etc etc).
Please note that when you buy something from the US ask the supplier not to put a value on the package and to write on it the words either 'GIFT-NO VALUE' or 'SAMPLE-NO VALUE' in that way you avoid VAT, tax and the like in ANY of the European (EEC) States.

Hope I helped.

Manos is offline   Reply With Quote