Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 July 2018, 17:59   #1

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Anybody Else Using Dichloromethane - Take Note!

Yorkshire company fined after worker sustains chemical burns
Date:
16 July 2018
A rubber inflatable boat manufacturing and repair company has today been sentenced after an employee sustained chemical burns while cleaning down a boat using solvents at its factory in Hull.

Hull and Holderness Magistrates’ Court heard how, on 23 March 2016, a worker at Humber Fabrications (Hull) Ltd was tasked with cleaning the deck of a rigid inflatable boat using the solvent dichloromethane. The employee was using a fabric cloth soaked in dichloromethane to wipe and clean the deck of a boat being manufactured. During the work he began to feel light-headed and so took a five minute break. The worker returned to the boat, knelt down inside to carry on cleaning and subsequently collapsed. He was found sometime later by his colleagues lying in a pool of dichloromethane.

The employee was taken by ambulance to Hull Royal Infirmary, where he received treatment for chemical burns to his right underarm and back.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company failed to provide suitable control measures for the occasions when employees used dichloromethane to clean the inside of boats. The investigation found there was a failure to provide local exhaust ventilation, suitable respiratory protection or personal protective equipment. In addition, the company had failed to carry out an adequate risk assessment for the use of dichloromethane for cleaning boats and there was also a lack of instruction and training provided to employees for its use.

Humber Fabrications (Hull) Ltd of Wincolmlee, Hull was pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £10,300 with £2,214.10 in costs.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector James Harvey said: “This case reinforces the importance of controlling the risks associated with the use of dichloromethane, which is an incredibly hazardous substance. HSE promotes substituting dichloromethane for less harmful alternative products which do the same job.”
Old 21 July 2018, 02:47   #2

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Am I the only one who thought -
"I bet that stuff works great, might need to get some!"

Always Remember- SAFETY THIRD
Old 21 July 2018, 12:52   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
What is dichloromethane? I've never heard of it does it have another name?
Old 21 July 2018, 14:24   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
What is dichloromethane? I've never heard of it does it have another name?
Me either (but I bet Poly has!)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...11558716300231

The bloke in that report was a "4" on the Glasgow Coma Scale*
It appears to be a degreaser/paint stripper. One of it's really bad properties is that the liver converts it (in the bloodstream) to Carbon monoxide.

*I'm going to assume that a 4 is pretty grim
Old 21 July 2018, 15:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

The bloke in that report was a "4" on the Glasgow Coma Scale*

*I'm going to assume that a 4 is pretty grim
Never heard of the Glasgow coma scale either is that some relation to the effects of a similar no of bottles of Buckfast?
4 bottles of that would also be pretty grim[emoji6]
Old 21 July 2018, 18:23   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
It's only a two on the Salisbury coma scale!
Old 21 July 2018, 18:51   #7

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
sounds like nasty stuff Nick, is it similar to the solutions available for cleaning hypalon tubes? I remember some of the solvent degreasers we used in work for cleaning copper and aluminium cables before soldering were dodgy if used in confined spaces, they were banned years ago, maybe that's why I'm a bit spaced out
Old 21 July 2018, 19:39   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Me either (but I bet Poly has!)
I have, and I've used it - but never outside of a controlled environment! The idea of sloshing it around in a shed raised some eyebrows here. I've not bought any for ages but I don't remember it being cheap - but if you want to dissolve greasy stuff its very good at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Never heard of the Glasgow coma scale either is that some relation to the effects of a similar no of bottles of Buckfast?
4 bottles of that would also be pretty grim[emoji6]
Its an extention of the principles of assessing responsiveness you would learn on any first aid course. Typically first aid talks about Alert - Respond to voice - Respond to pain - Unresponsive.

It ranges from 3-15, with 15 being most of us here, and 3 being totally unresponsive (so dead people have a score of 3, but 3 does not mean you are dead). 4 may mean he was making noises or moved slightly in response to pain.
Old 21 July 2018, 20:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I have, and I've used it - but never outside of a controlled environment! The idea of sloshing it around in a shed raised some eyebrows here. I've not bought any for ages but I don't remember it being cheap - but if you want to dissolve greasy stuff its very good at it.

Its an extention of the principles of assessing responsiveness you would learn on any first aid course. Typically first aid talks about Alert - Respond to voice - Respond to pain - Unresponsive.

It ranges from 3-15, with 15 being most of us here, and 3 being totally unresponsive (so dead people have a score of 3, but 3 does not mean you are dead). 4 may mean he was making noises or moved slightly in response to pain.
Learn something new every day i work offshore so get regular first aid refreshers and never heard of Glasgow scale