Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 27 February 2002, 12:02   #1

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Anybody contemplating the Round Ireland cruise

being organised by those nice people at Rib International Magazine:

"Following the success of the RB4 Round Britain RIB Challenge, event organiser RIB Events has announced formal details for its 2002 offshore adventure, Round Ireland 2002, in association with the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. The event will run from July 27 to August 3 2002.

The Round Ireland RIB Challenge will be open to all makes and sizes of offshore RIB of 5.5m and upward though final entries shall be subject to all participating crew members and their vessels satisfying the screening of their applications by the Round Ireland Event/RNLI Safety Committees.

The Challenge will take in some 800 miles of the most testing coastal waters the North Atlantic region has to offer. Event to start and finish from Kilmore Quay, in County Waterford with legs to include; Baltimore, Kilkee, Newport, Killybegs, Cushendall, and Dublin. The event will also be an RNLI fundraising activity with all teams having to raise a minimum of '100 pounds at the time of submitting their entrance fee.

For further information please apply via email Jo Kemp, Round Ireland Event Coordinator, advertising@ribinternational.com no later May 31, 2002 for full event application papers. "

I ask out of idle curiosity and genuine interest!

Alan
Old 27 February 2002, 12:59   #2

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Been there and done that one back in 94. This is a tough trip depending on the time of year. Petrol boats will have an even tougher time due to the lack of facilities. Mid to late Septemebr seems to be the best time although there was a three day high in August last year. When Garth Henry organised the 94 run it was all done on an ordanance survey map because the chart details where so bad.I think that the Irish Rib Association (not to be confussed with the IRA) are organising another Round Ireland this year as well, so if anyone is intent on doing this and cannot find the time when Hugo is palnning his trip I would suspect that Alan Mc might know more.
Old 26 March 2002, 14:44   #3

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Rouind Ireland Cruise

Alan,

Hello, I've been giving some serious thought to entering this event, I am just trying to work out how much it will cost and the rest of the logistics. Whether or not I need sponsors that sort of stuff and if my boat will take the pounding.

If I am going to do it I need to do it soon before the bones get any older

Best regards
Stuart