Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 09 October 2006, 12:32   #1

Length: 3m +
Any tips fro climbig into a small rib from water ?

Hello, newbie here, have a small tender ( 3m inflatable with a 8bhp motor ) which I use up and down the river, whats the best way of getting into the thing from the water ?
Old 09 October 2006, 13:24   #2

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
i got a small sib, with a merc 4hp, theres no question bout it - ur gonna get wet! - i use mine in the sea, bit hairy sumtimes, I pull the boat in the water with the engine tilted so not to smash the skeg up, I m usually wearing a wetsuit anyway - start her whens its deep enough, wait a min or so to warm it up and im off -

if ur on a river hmmm I guess u could be clever and just jump off a bank and hope u dont get the bouncy castle effect and get bounced back in!
Old 09 October 2006, 13:31   #3

cheers for that, but what I actually ment was if I was in the water, what technique should I use to get back in, or would the thing flip or just be damn near impossable to do. I would be by myself so somkeone couldn't just pull me back in.

I was thinking grab the side, flick a leg over and try and "scooch" over the tube. Either that or go over the nose to prevent it fliping.
Old 09 October 2006, 13:41   #4

Town: Thurso
Make: Gemini Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Send a message via MSN to bobbyjoeufb
Not sure about smaller engines but the Geimin Inflatable I used to use had a 40hp on the back and you could climb in over the transom using the engine as a step.

If there is not one on the smaller engine, you could attact rope to the boat with a loop in it. When required, put the loop over the side of the tube and into the water deep enough to use the loop as a foot hold to help you get up and roll into the boat.
Old 09 October 2006, 13:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjoeufb View Post
Not sure about smaller engines but the Geimin Inflatable I used to use had a 40hp on the back and you could climb in over the transom using the engine as a step.

If there is not one on the smaller engine, you could attact rope to the boat with a loop in it. When required, put the loop over the side of the tube and into the water deep enough to use the loop as a foot hold to help you get up and roll into the boat.
Thats the kind of thing, awesome, thanks for the idea.

Any others ?
Old 09 October 2006, 15:04   #6

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Hold the boat. Push yourself down under the water and when you bob up use the momentum to haul yourself in.
Old 09 October 2006, 16:29   #7
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
I have a 2.8m with a 3.5HP.

I can get in from the side by grabbing the ropes on the side but you have to be careful not to topple the boat.

The girlfriend finds it easier to get in at the stern, grab onto the transom and use the cavitation plate as a step.
Old 09 October 2006, 16:33   #8
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
if you have life lines on the tubes get your bow line off and tie it on the opposite side to which you want to climb in, then place your body on the up wind side so as the wind helps to keep the lifting side down, with the bow line tied to the downwind side put it under the hull and your foot in it. it wont help you get in but should help to keep the rib steady and from flipping back on your head. then you got to try and get your body in by pulling and swearing lots.
i have been in a few times on small ribs its always fun.
is yours a rib or an inflatable? if its the flappy floor your up some creak with out a paddle. if you flip them they are so slippy you cant get a hold.

enjoy fun times
Old 09 October 2006, 16:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop View Post
if you have life lines on the tubes get your bow line off and tie it on the opposite side to which you want to climb in, then place your body on the up wind side so as the wind helps to keep the lifting side down, with the bow line tied to the downwind side put it under the hull and your foot in it. it wont help you get in but should help to keep the rib steady and from flipping back on your head. then you got to try and get your body in by pulling and swearing lots.
i have been in a few times on small ribs its always fun.
is yours a rib or an inflatable? if its the flappy floor your up some creak with out a paddle. if you flip them they are so slippy you cant get a hold.

enjoy fun times

Flappy floor, I think the idea of putting a length of rope with a foothold oi it over the transom is probably goingto be the best idea.
Old 09 October 2006, 17:02   #10
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
just my thoughts, when i have been in the drink there has been 1 or more people to help.
Old 09 October 2006, 17:24   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
Flappy floor, I think the idea of putting a length of rope with a foothold oi it over the transom is probably goingto be the best idea.

Problem is that the rope loop will want to swing under the boat. It is do-able, but not as easy in practice as it is on paper (or monitor, as the case may be.)
You're probably better off (from a bruished shin perspective) of trying that over the tubes; from the transom, use the motor as a semi-step (i.e. don't put all your weight on it; just enough to steady yourself as you use handholds to pull yourself up.)

jky
Old 09 October 2006, 17:50   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Biggles's way is the easiest. It's about as graceful as a hippo in a tutu though-you'll always end up on the floor with your legs in the air

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2006, 12:47   #13

Town: Hong Kong
Make: Walker Bay Genesis
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 25
Look at these.

http://www.clevel.com/seasteps.shtml

We use these (for snorkelling from 3.4m rib). Got them from West Marine in US (delivery was quick by UPS and charges were resonable).
Old 12 October 2006, 13:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkett View Post
Look at these.

http://www.clevel.com/seasteps.shtml

We use these (for snorkelling from 3.4m rib). Got them from West Marine in US (delivery was quick by UPS and charges were resonable).

They look perfect, do you think there is any difference between this a a rope with a loop init ? I think I could probably make those.
Old 12 October 2006, 14:19   #15

Town: Bala
Length: no boat
They look very similar to "etriers" used by Rope Technicians for Aid Climbing.

The ones that Rope Tech's use have a more rigid strip of fabric at the bottom of each loop so that they stay open and it's easy to poke your feet into each hole. I'd imagine with rope, the loops would tend to collapse in?

If you have two - the technique for climbing them is to keep your knees inside them, and your knees directly above your ankles. Keep your legs as straight as possible - so use small steps one-at-a-time... it's far less tiring than trying to do big steps.

Cheers, WMM
Old 13 October 2006, 15:14   #16

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
I have a small aluminum ladder (2 steps) that I hang over the side when we're swimming. I hang it just ahead of the self-righting frame, so we can use the frame as a handhold.

When we are diving, we clip out tanks and belts off on lines over the side, then just haul ourselves in using the life lines. We do have the advantage of using fins. My tubes are 24" so it's still a pretty good lift.
Old 14 October 2006, 01:38   #17

Town: Hong Kong
Make: Walker Bay Genesis
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 25
I would think that rope loops would not spread the pressure on the sole of the foot when you put your weight on it to lift yourself up into the boat. Maybe OK if wearing some footwear.

Also the width of the canvas spreads the load on the tube - rope will not do that.