Old 22 October 2013, 18:55   #1

Length: 5m +
Any Ribcraft Owners...

I'm becoming increasing keen on the Ribcraft 4.8 with a 60hp, use would only be family pottering around Poole harbour & Bournemouth bay, the occasion fishing afternoon and a bit speeding about if the water was flat enough so that I dont ruin the remaining functional discs in my spine !!!

Looking at possibly buying new if I cant find a good used one and wondered if there were any owners of the same boat that would be kind enough to give me some feedback on:

a) the boat
b) the company (and experiences with)

Thanks in advance, any feed back is appreciated.
Old 22 October 2013, 19:32   #2

Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Snap! I had the pleasure of a factory tour when our Sailing Club bought one of the Olympic 585s
That convinced me to get a Ribcraft..... somehow. The build quality was impressive.
Impulse (cheap) EBay purchase a couple of months ago!
Now I have a 4.8 that turned out to be in pretty good nick although some tidying required.
I'm also interested in the views of the Rib Collective!
Old 22 October 2013, 19:37   #3

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
I don't own one, but I do use one occasionally (formerly with a Mercury 40, now with a Honda 50) and would like to use it a lot more.

It's always seemed a very capable boat. The most I've handled it in was a nasty, short 6ft swell and it'll cope with that and surf easily. I don't recall getting particularly wet on that day either.

Ours is set up with a single seat, so the internal layouts will probably be different, but we end up with lots of deck space (enough to use as a dinghy racing committee boat with three race officials plus equipment if the need arises).

The only thing I'd change about the boat itself would be the width of the console where my knees want to be. It's quite wide and can get a little uncomfortable after a whole day sat at the helm (six hours of not moving from the seat), but the controls are at a good height for standing up as well.
Old 22 October 2013, 19:44   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
I've owned several boats, 3 which were ribs and 2 of these were Ribcraft.
I've owned a 5.45 and currently have a 7.8
For build quality, durability, ride, practicality I have found them excellent.
I nearly bought a brand new 6.4 when I ended up with the nearly new 7.8. I found Ribcraft very professional and helpful to deal with.
Their open trial weekend is also very useful to try boats you might be interested in one after another in the same conditions, very useful.

My only advice would be to go as large as you can (very very rarely have I heard wish I'd bought a smaller boat, but plenty wish they'd bought bigger) that said make sure you can confidently use it safely.

Hope that helps :-)
Old 22 October 2013, 19:55   #5

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Ribcraft are great boats; I have a Pro 6.8m. They're very accommodating and easy going at the factory - Dorian is a real trooper. I visited twice when I was buying my boat and was made to feel very welcome. As it happens, I'm thinking about down sizing to a 4.8 myself.
Old 22 October 2013, 20:18   #6

Town: Saltash
Make: Ribcraft 4.8 shiny
Engine: ETec 60. Very shiny
MMSI: 232017023
Hi. Brought one new in March
Very impressed with sea handling in a range of seas. Happy to chat thru the buying experience, costs and customer service etc.
if you are south west area happy to give you a try ride.
PM me with your number if you want a chat.
Old 22 October 2013, 20:19   #7

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
The RC 4.8 is probably the best sub 5 mtr out there, best with in built fuel tank as stability and handling is increased.
ideally better with a 60 four stroke as the 55 litre fuel tanks have all taken 70 litres to fill. should give you a range 110 miles or more if driven carefully.

I've had a few now and all have have been brilliant, no stress cracks and nothing to go wrong, built like the proverbial!
Many options with regards to specification if new, like hens teeth for a loaded second hand one. maybe best to speak to Jason Purvey for figures etc
Im also looking for one
Old 22 October 2013, 20:26   #8

Town: Leicestershire
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Tohatsu 70 HP 2 st
I've been looking for a decent seconhand Ribcraft 4.8 for sometime now but I'm in no rush so holding out for the right one to come along

They mostly seem to come with a single console and a 50 hp and I'm looking for double console with a 60 hp, an frame if poss and commercial spec would be good but they are few and far between

Another choice would be a Ribquest 4.8 but I have never seen one for sale second hand
Old 22 October 2013, 20:36   #9

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I'm not sure an RC4.8 will meet your needs - seating for a family will be an issue -but that's true of most ribs of that size - fine if only 2-3 of you will be out at any on time, so consider the configuration carefully.

As others have said talk with Jason at Ribcraft & scope out exactly what you want , then see who can provide it.

I went for a 5.3 - very capable boat and one of the smallest that will allow a 2x2 single jockey configuration.

Be careful what you mean by "just pottering about" - that's how Matt H started & look where he ended up
Old 22 October 2013, 20:38   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I bought a new 4.8m in 2010. It's used in the North Sea and trips to the west coast (Hebrides) once a year, and quite honestly has exceeded my expectations, especially in poor weather.

I couldn't afford Ribcraft's full build, so opted for a basic 4.8m and I rigged it myself. The boat came with a double jockey console. I opted to go for under seat fuel tanks (2 x 25 litres) rather than an under-deck tank as it suited my needs and my budget. That said, the glass-fibre fuel trays are expensive for what they are, but convenient for refuelling.

I also specified additional hypalon wear patches, grab handles and a windscreen. Since I've had it, I've added a bespoke 6' stainless steel light pole (which also houses the Metz antenna), stainless steel navigation lights on the console, usual engine instruments such as a trim gauge, and tachometer and added an auxilliary 4hp engine.

Engine-wise, I wanted a 2-stroke engine. I do my own maintenance, so wanted a no-nonsense approach compared to modern 4-strokes. The engine is a mint 2006 Tohatsu M60C running a standard 15" pitch aluminium propeller. I tweaked the engine to 70hp (uses the same block) and its a true work-horse.

This boat will run fine with 3-4 adults, but for normal use 2-3 up is fun. It's easy to tow, and can be garaged in a domestic garage (unless you opt for Ribcraft's A-frame) which is the dog's danglies.

Ribcraft as a company are okay to fine to deal with. In my opinion they cater for the top-end market where money isn't an option and customers choose a full rigged boat. I like good communication with a build of any sort, so unless Ribcraft have changed dramatically, it will be you doing the chasing, so be warned.

plus points
Capable boat, well built, deep v hull suits most UK sea conditions, easy to launch and retrieve, looks good.

down side
Expensive from new, basic without extras, jockey console limits seating (the temptation to go up to 5.3m is worth investigating), communication could be better.

When I spec'd my boat I also looked at Ribquest, and their 4.8m. I even visited their Sheffield factory, and was impressed with the level of attention and detail. Something to consider.

Any queries - let me know.
Old 22 October 2013, 21:24   #11

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Great RIB's/Hulls
Very Robust Pro Build throughout the Range...little less Stylish than some.But for hard use and Good Sea-Keeping they take some beating!
If you go new, the Bespoke Options are many and varied..
I would say look at a lot of Set-up's/Configurations and take your time to decide WHICH SIZE RIB you want/need... and how YOU it want Rigged to suit your type of Boating...Happy to help if you pm me.
Plenty of good advice on here too.
The Guys at Ribcraft are always pleased to give a Factory tour too,which is a good insight,and enjoyable.
Good Luck.
(Nice 4.8 with 60 Yam 2stk in the For Sale section at the mo)

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2013, 21:57   #12

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
All the RibCraft 4.8's Ive seen in photos seem to have the steering console so far forward ... it looks weird.

Has anybody operated a RibCraft 4.8 with a tiller handle? I wonder if the bow rise is so high that you might not be able to see ahead without the seating console to raise you up...
Old 22 October 2013, 22:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
All the RibCraft 4.8's Ive seen in photos seem to have the steering console so far forward ... it looks weird.

Has anybody operated a RibCraft 4.8 with a tiller handle? I wonder if the bow rise is so high that you might not be able to see ahead without the seating console to raise you up...
Maybe you should try DRIVEING one Sometime

Old 22 October 2013, 23:02   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
I've only ever seen the Ribcraft 4.8m with single or double jockeys. It would be impractical to run it with a tiller, considering most engine configurations are in the region of 60hp. My Tohatsu isn't a light-weight, even for a 2-stroke at 120kg. In addition, the forward driving position is perfect for keeping the bow down if you're out yourself. If you were at the transom the boat would be very difficult to control in my opinion. I wouldn't say the boat bow rise is particularly noticeable. It gives a fairly dry ride even when the going gets tough. Here's a side on shot of mine. That's my brother... cheery isn't he!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	86604  
Old 23 October 2013, 06:46   #15

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, certainly seems that Ribcraft have a few fans here !

I originaly wanted a 6m - 7m boat but the costs for birthing are so rediculously expensive down here that at least with 5m or less I had put it on the drive or in the garage and also take a cheaper seasonal birth rather than a full 12 month dry stack or marina birth. Seems that cost per meter becomes better value the bigger you go but I'm pretty sure that 5m max will be ideal.
Old 23 October 2013, 07:28   #16

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
If you can stretch to 5.3 - either RC or similar you get a lot more options for seating and consoles etc.

Personally I don't like the all in one console/jockey set ups, I like to move around the boat more easily.

Deciding the spec of my boat took a long time, but was worth it.
Only regret in hindsight was not fitting a bigger chart plotter / positioning it differently, but there will always be compromises on a smaller boat.

Decide what you think is vital, what is "nice to have" arrange some tests - really important to try some variants before shelling out lots of dosh.

Do pm me if I can help more
Old 23 October 2013, 07:51   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
If you can stretch to 5.3 - either RC or similar you get a lot more options for seating and consoles etc.
If you want a small RIB for family use then a Ribcraft 5.3 with side by side seating takes a lot of beating. It has a proper deep V hull that punches well above it's weight.

Unlike most boats this size it will seat four people properly, plus has room for extras standing (or sitting on the tubes) for short trips in good conditions.
Old 23 October 2013, 08:21   #18

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I have helmed a RC5.3 (Aquahound owned by lakelandterrier) and it was a superb rib. Handled like a much bigger boat. If I was looking for something that big the RC would be on my shortlist.

Chris

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2013, 08:33   #19

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
I have helmed a RC5.3 (Aquahound owned by lakelandterrier) and it was a superb rib. Handled like a much bigger boat. If I was looking for something that big the RC would be on my shortlist.
If there was decent priced 5.3 RC with side by side jockeys I'd be buying it . This and the 5m ribeye are the only 5ish m boats I've found with the option to get side by side - which for me would be essential.
Old 23 October 2013, 08:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
If there was decent priced 5.3 RC with side by side jockeys I'd be buying it . This and the 5m ribeye are the only 5ish m boats I've found with the option to get side by side - which for me would be essential.
The R.C 545 is a Hell of Good Boat for the length and takes side by seating very easily Pete.Also Has a Very Deep V (Unlike the 5.3) and is Dryer rider than a 585!...ALSO takes a Large Outbourd if you want some realy Good performance!.

Tags
rib