Old 23 October 2013, 17:17   #21

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTTu View Post
I'm becoming increasing keen on the Ribcraft 4.8 with a 60hp....................
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
The RC 4.8 is probably the best sub 5 mtr out there, best with in built fuel tank as stability and handling is increased.
ideally better with a 60 four stroke as the 55 litre fuel tanks have all taken 70 litres to fill. should give you a range 110 miles or more if driven carefully.

.........................Im also looking for one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
I've been looking for a decent seconhand Ribcraft 4.8 for sometime now.........
.................I'm looking for double console with a 60 hp, an frame if poss and commercial spec would be good but they are few and far between
A friend who has emigrated is selling his 2005 Ribcraft 4.8m.

Basic summary is:

4.8m Ribcraft, Blue tubes, white hull c/w Mariner 60Hp 4-stroke.
Single console jockey seat.
In built fuel tank
Double A Frame
DixonBate Rapide unbraked trailer.
Various bits and pieces of electronics and chandlery

Needs a small amount of tidying up as been sitting for a while.....ideal winter tinkering

He's looking for around £7,900 for the whole package.

I can gather more information and pictures for anyone that might be interested.
Old 23 October 2013, 17:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville View Post
A friend who has emigrated is selling his 2005 Ribcraft 4.8m.

Basic summary is:

4.8m Ribcraft, Blue tubes, white hull c/w Mariner 60Hp 4-stroke.
Single console jockey seat.
In built fuel tank
Double A Frame
DixonBate Rapide unbraked trailer.
Various bits and pieces of electronics and chandlery

Needs a small amount of tidying up as been sitting for a while.....ideal winter tinkering

He's looking for around £7,900 for the whole package.

I can gather more information and pictures for anyone that might be interested.
I'd be interested if you can either post or PM

Thanks !
Old 23 October 2013, 18:14   #23

Again, many thanks to all those who posted so quickly on this thread. Its encouraging to see that there is such alot positive comments about the Ribcraft boats, no doubt they read this forum too so they must love it when they see stuff like this, better than paid advertising !!

After all thats been said I'm open to looking at a 5.xx perhaps that extra size will be worth it, although I was wanting to keep to 5m max as it helps keep the cost of birthing down and it makes it possible for me to keep at home out of season. I'll put my hands up to being a fair weather boater, the kids and wife hate the lumpy stuff and my bad back is not keen on dropping off the top of 6ft swell. The reality is that it would very much be a "nice day" toy which was taken round to the beaches in Poole and a bit of exploring around Poole Harbour, Studland Swanage etc.

Any ideas or suggestions please let know.

Thanks
Old 23 October 2013, 19:17   #24

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
A couple of 5.3s for sale here. Not sure about the canopy on the DoneDeal one.
2010, Suzuki 100hp, 3-seats
http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/ribcraf...0hp-57074.html

2006, Suzuki 90hp, 4-seats
Rib Ribcraft 5.3 For Sale in Cork : €13,500 - DoneDeal.co.uk

Love spending other people's money.
Old 23 October 2013, 20:41   #25

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
If there was decent priced 5.3 RC with side by side jockeys I'd be buying it . This and the 5m ribeye are the only 5ish m boats I've found with the option to get side by side - which for me would be essential.
I think your idea of "decent price" and mine might be different. I'm always open to an offer but it would have to enable me to replace with something even better - difficult - and definitely not a SR from Matt H.

Seriously, though, I agree that side by side seating is important and makes any trip more enjoyable - communication is easier, it feels more social and if you've got children you're not forever checking behind to see what they're upto or even still there. Others may see that as a disadvantage.
Old 24 October 2013, 03:01   #26
RIK

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Five-o
Make: Tornado 645
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury Optimax 150
Quote:
Again, many thanks to all those who posted so quickly on this thread. Its encouraging to see that there is such alot positive comments about the Ribcraft boats, no doubt they read this forum too so they must love it when they see stuff like this, better than paid advertising !!

After all thats been said I'm open to looking at a 5.xx perhaps that extra size will be worth it, although I was wanting to keep to 5m max as it helps keep the cost of birthing down and it makes it possible for me to keep at home out of season. I'll put my hands up to being a fair weather boater, the kids and wife hate the lumpy stuff and my bad back is not keen on dropping off the top of 6ft swell. The reality is that it would very much be a "nice day" toy which was taken round to the beaches in Poole and a bit of exploring around Poole Harbour, Studland Swanage etc.

Any ideas or suggestions please let know.

Thanks
If your wife and kids don't like the lumpy stuff then go for the biggest rib you can afford,
My friend had a bought a 4.8 I said I would like to get a rib ,my wife and youngest one did not like it , it's to rough the said , I managed to get them to Ribcrafts demonstration day . You have just missed that it was last weekend. After trying the boats I ended up getting the go ahead to by a 585 . Then my friend had been out on my boat A few times , he then went and bought a 6.4.
It's not good if your family are not comfortable on the boat
The Poole - Swanage coast is great for boating ,I spend a lot of time in Swanage on holiday
How far do you live from the coast , I trailer my boat about , this gives you a lot more options and places to visit
Good luck with what ever you decide on

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 24 October 2013, 18:25   #27

Town: London
Boat name: the boat
Engine: 70 Outboard
Side by side seating on a 4.8

I would agree with other forumites - if you have the space and can afford it - the bigger the better. But if like me you don't have the space, you might like to know that it is possible to have side by side seating on a Ribcraft 4.8 - I know - I have one which was built to my Spec. (Actually it is based on a 5.0 hull which is the same profile as the 4.8 but slightly longer.) I believe there is only one other around. It is a compromise - you get used to moving around by standing on the tubes rather than walking on the deck, but when seated, it is fine. I have just two seats and a diving bottle rack behind. There would be space to fit another two jockey seats instead of the rack. There is a copy of the CAD drawing on the Ribcraft website. PM me if you would like more details.

I would echo all the earlier good comments regarding build quality, attention to detail.
Old 24 October 2013, 18:38   #28

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerib View Post
But if like me you don't have the space, you might like to know that it is possible to have side by side seating on a Ribcraft 4.8 - I know - I have one which was built to my Spec.
Go and post some pictures please. I'm sure other members would be interested to see your boat. Thanks.
Old 24 October 2013, 21:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIK View Post
If your wife and kids don't like the lumpy stuff then go for the biggest rib you can afford, My friend had a bought a 4.8 I said I would like to get a rib ,my wife and youngest one did not like it , it's to rough the said , I managed to get them to Ribcrafts demonstration day . You have just missed that it was last weekend. After trying the boats I ended up getting the go ahead to by a 585 . Then my friend had been out on my boat A few times , he then went and bought a 6.4. It's not good if your family are not comfortable on the boat The Poole - Swanage coast is great for boating ,I spend a lot of time in Swanage on holiday How far do you live from the coast , I trailer my boat about , this gives you a lot more options and places to visit Good luck with what ever you decide on Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
I live about two minutes drive or 15 minute walk to Poole harbour so I really dont want to trailer a rib, it would have to go into one of the local (painfully-expensive) marinas, unfortunatly i have limited time evenings and weekends so i need a "turn the key and go" setup to make it all worth it for me.

I know someone with a 4.5m Apex Rib and its good but I know the waters round here pretty well and that a 6m+ would be ideal, it can get quite scary round Old Harry in small boats, I get a bit nervous when its rough round there.

Arrrghhh !!! It so hard to know what to do. I think I'll get round and look at some boats over the next few weeks. The guys who sell Brig and the Ribeye folks have both offered me sea trials and they are both ribs I'd be interested in as well as the Ribcraft.

Too much choice me thinks !!!
Old 24 October 2013, 22:33   #30

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
It's not difficult.....take every opportunity to trial potential boats, enjoy the time on the water burning non-paid for petrol, then evaluate the market...simples.
You must consider the family and their wants / needs. else you'll never use the final boat.
Old 25 October 2013, 06:51   #31

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Be prepared for you partner to lose interest in the boat fairly quickly. I know this sounds really sexist but a lot of people sell their boat because their wives or girlfriends can't be bothered to go out in it anymore. My wife has been on my (sorry, "our") boat only once this year and even then I had to bribe here with a night in the Old Government Hotel in St. Peter Port. And she hasn't been on the jet ski once since "we" bought it.
Old 25 October 2013, 07:01   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Be prepared for you partner to lose interest in the boat fairly quickly. I know this sounds really sexist but a lot of people sell their boat because their wives or girlfriends can't be bothered to go out in it anymore. My wife has been on my (sorry, "our") boat only once this year and even then I had to bribe here with a night in the Old Government Hotel in St. Peter Port. And she hasn't been on the jet ski once since "we" bought it.
I'm well ahead of you on that one ! She didn't like my last boat at all and the kids got bored after about 10 mins out from the marina !

This is going to be 95% my toy, 5% trips to the beach. I did actually think about a jetski at first but a bit limited for me when I thought about it hard. I suspect that most of my water time will be on my own with mates and their boats. although my lad is now old enough to get a bit more out of it.
Old 25 October 2013, 20:40   #33

Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
RIBase
Quote:
I'm well ahead of you on that one ! She didn't like my last boat at all and the kids got bored after about 10 mins out from the marina !

This is going to be 95% my toy, 5% trips to the beach. I did actually think about a jetski at first but a bit limited for me when I thought about it hard. I suspect that most of my water time will be on my own with mates and their boats. although my lad is now old enough to get a bit more out of it.
Old 25 October 2013, 20:51   #34

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
You mentioned earlier that you contemplated a jet ski at one point. I think you should seriously consider buying one over a rib. My Yamaha FXHO is every bit as seaworthy as my boat (pound for pound), is very fuel efficient (0.7 litres per nm), is bl**dy fast and has taken me everywhere my rib has been and more. Check out my YouTube channel for the relevant videos. I only wish I had bought a ski years ago; believe me, they're the best kept secret in boating.
Old 27 October 2013, 18:45   #35

Took me a while to find a suitable photo - but here it is

Ribcraft 5.0 with side by side seating and dive bottle rack. It works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010350.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	86710  
Old 27 October 2013, 19:03   #36

Length: 3m +
If you are still considering other models I gather Osprey have a new facility down your way and I've never heard a bad word said about an Osprey...
Old 07 January 2014, 08:19   #37
RIBnet supporter

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne
Boat name: El Presidente
Make: Humber Assault
Engine: Outboard, 70hp, 2st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerib View Post
I would agree with other forumites - if you have the space and can afford it - the bigger the better. But if like me you don't have the space, you might like to know that it is possible to have side by side seating on a Ribcraft 4.8 - I know - I have one which was built to my Spec. (Actually it is based on a 5.0 hull which is the same profile as the 4.8 but slightly longer.) I believe there is only one other around. It is a compromise - you get used to moving around by standing on the tubes rather than walking on the deck, but when seated, it is fine. I have just two seats and a diving bottle rack behind. There would be space to fit another two jockey seats instead of the rack. There is a copy of the CAD drawing on the Ribcraft website. PM me if you would like more details.

I would echo all the earlier good comments regarding build quality, attention to detail.
I'm looking at buying a used Ribcraft 4.8. If I bought this one would it be possible to change the layout to 2 x side by side jockeys in the rear. Alternatively would I be able to fit a bench seat behind the 2 existing jockey seats?

Am I being too ambitious? Is the 4.8 just too small for my needs? Any advice from a 4.8 owner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	984
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	88898   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	88899  
Old 07 January 2014, 08:38   #38

Town: Deventer
Boat name: .
Make: Avon
Engine: outboard
We use a 4.8 with a Yamaha F60efi at our beach-lifeguard team at the North sea. It is one of the better boats we have! The only thing wich has gone broke, is the backsupport of the co-driver seat. The pipe used on that is a little thin. It is in the "relax mode" since a couple of years. Have been using the boat for 5 years in heavy seas at the beach, but it still looks like new exept for this seat support..
Old 07 January 2014, 09:00   #39

Town: Poole
Boat name: Blue Ocean
Make: Ribeye 600
Engine: Yam 115
Hi STTu, it sounds like you are in a similar position to me last year. I wanted a rib big enough to take the family, wife, toddler and dog, but also one that realistically I spend 95% of my time on my own or with mates. I am also 2 mins walk from Poole harbour and had little time to actually use it, so needed to be easy and ready to go.

I ended up with a Ribeye 600, and contrary to alot of opinion on here, it has been great and met all my needs. You will likely find one cheaper than the Ribcraft too. Unless you are going to push your boundaries, it will handle anything you will be out in around Poole. A 4.8 may be a little tight with more then 2-3, unless you are happy for some to sit on the tubes.

I save myself £2000 a year by keeping it on the trailer on my drive. I can now leave my drive, and be launched in 20mins, took me alot longer for the first 5 tries while working out the little nuances.

You could also use a summer boat park for some of the year but i think that is about £1000. If I had pots of cash, the dry stack is the way to go.

You are welcome to come have a look if you like.

Andy
Old 07 January 2014, 09:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I'm looking at buying a used Ribcraft 4.8. If I bought this one would it be possible to change the layout to 2 x side by side jockeys in the rear. Alternatively would I be able to fit a bench seat behind the 2 existing jockey seats?

Am I being too ambitious? Is the 4.8 just too small for my needs? Any advice from a 4.8 owner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Base on my experience with a similar sized boat (see my earlier post on this thread), I think you can fit two jockey seats side by side provided you are happy to accept that moving around the boat is a bit tight. Once you are seated, it is fine. Whether it is easy or economical to convert the boat you are considering is another matter. Probably depends on how practical you are.

Tags
rib