Old 15 June 2010, 16:00   #1

Length: 7m +
Any one out in Solent last sunday ?

Anyone out in the solent last sunday in the afternoon ? I expereinced crappy weather, blowing south east force 6, went to southampton and cowes and then back to Poole, took ages to get back to Poole slamming into waves, Im wonderring wether im a wuss, I had to slow down to about 14knots and it was still horrible until I got past Hengisbury Head.

Whats the best way to handle rougth weather ? slow down to try and power through it ?
Old 15 June 2010, 16:39   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
You're not a wuss! you go at whatever is comfortable for all on board. Speed will depend on boat length and wave frequency, ie distance between waves, plus of course wave height and angle. It can sometimes help to go at a slight angle in to a sea to reduce frequency/length between waves and it will also reduce the rate of climb up each wave face. Just be careful as in a chop you may then get lots of spray over the side or worse in larger waves it can push you over if turned beam on.

Also, trim up with a following sea to raise the bow so as not to stuff the back of a wave. Move any weight a little further back perhaps. Vice versa heading in to the sea, you don't want to be blown bow over stern as youcome off the top of the wave after climbing the face.

No real answer, play around and build up speed. Sometimes in a chop you can skip across the tops subject to boat length and sufficient frequency.

Enjoy learning, no one is a master!
Old 15 June 2010, 16:42   #3

Town: bournemouth
Boat name: ribbed for pleasure
Make: bwm
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Anyone out in the solent last sunday in the afternoon ? I expereinced crappy weather, blowing south east force 6, went to southampton and cowes and then back to Poole, took ages to get back to Poole slamming into waves, Im wonderring wether im a wuss, I had to slow down to about 14knots and it was still horrible until I got past Hengisbury Head.

Whats the best way to handle rougth weather ? slow down to try and power through it ?
wuss!!!!!

i was out and it was choppy! had another day out with the gemini toobs which result (as usual) in me limping home with only 3 tubes inflated! from bournemouth peir back to christchurch harbour ! ive found going at a slow to moderate speed helps but ive had no training and expect im doing it wrong!
Old 15 June 2010, 16:43   #4

Town: bournemouth
Boat name: ribbed for pleasure
Make: bwm
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
only joking bout the wuss !
Old 15 June 2010, 17:16   #5

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
I wasn't out, but it was blowy where I live (50 mins North of Portsmouth). Personally I don't like choppy conditions, it's no fun.

It's the same with skiing, give me a pisted run of any difficulty and I'll be fine, not moguls which are about survival (for me) rather than fun.

Other more 'Ramboesque' characters will disagree of course.
Old 15 June 2010, 18:12   #6

Town: Fareham
It's all down to experience with a particular setup.

Try going out in less than friendly conditions with a more experienced friend and try a few different things. Experiment!

Going fast in a short chop following sea can be very demanding and very exhausting, but will be much more comfortable for you and the crew. You find yourself constantly changing throttle positions over each wave, powering up when going down a wave (to lift the bow) and then lifting off when going over the crest to keep the bow down. Each wave is different and throttle positions should be matched to the conditions. You'll only get this with practice but some RIB's take more skill to control than others.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2010, 18:29   #7

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Bam Bam
Make: Zodiac YL-380-DL
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
It's all down to experience with a particular setup.

Try going out in less than friendly conditions with a more experienced friend and try a few different things. Experiment!

Going fast in a short chop following sea can be very demanding and very exhausting, but will be much more comfortable for you and the crew. You find yourself constantly changing throttle positions over each wave, powering up when going down a wave (to lift the bow) and then lifting off when going over the crest to keep the bow down. Each wave is different and throttle positions should be matched to the conditions. You'll only get this with practice but some RIB's take more skill to control than others.
Andy is right, use the throttle to give stability and headway and watch the waves. I learnt this when Chewy took charge of my small rib in a real heavy swell off Whitby, he's a genius and I took in every move that he made. Thanks to that I'm now quite confident in a swell but still need to get out there and practice.

Just noticed the size of your boat and I'm sorry if I sound a bit of a twot but I suppose the same applies to any size boat... In a swell you either press on regardless and be uncomfortable or you learn to do it safe and right.
Old 15 June 2010, 21:20   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post

Have done the same Cowes-Hengistbury run in F8 and like you down to 5knots at some points. Usually worse with wind over tide (worth checking even if you are not 'affected' by tides at Poole end).

It sounds sensible to slow down to me - very much the thing to do, along with angle off the waves to make them longer & power up & down as needed.

I'd just build on the practice & watch/learn from others as said.