Old 02 December 2016, 19:30   #1

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
Any information on this RIB - Piranha Ribs Techno Marine P10

Just wondering if anyone knows about the build quality and seakeeping of this RIB? Doesn't look like that much deadrise...

Cheers!

2012 Piranha Ribs Techno Marine RIB P10 Power Boat For Sale -
Old 03 December 2016, 16:58   #2

Town: Lismore
Boat name: Jinty J
Make: Rib-X 535
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 Etec
Be very careful purchasing any RIB which has come from this supplier.
I would strongly advise that you check carefully that it complies with the RCD, and has proper documentation that shows compliance. Also check that it has a Hull ID number that carries the correct information.
I am presently pursuing Piranha Ribs Ltd in court as I was sold a new RIB that does not comply with the RCD and is not safe to use, being prone to flooding.
CJ
Old 25 January 2017, 14:04   #3

Brief update

Piranha Ribs Ltd have shut up shop on Hayling Island, pulled their website, and done a runner.
The RIB that I was sold, under the grand title of a Piranha P550 Club Rescue, has proved to have serious manufacturing and fitting out defects, and to have originated in China, not Poland as I was told. The boat that I was sold is unsafe to use and due to this can not be offered for resale.
Worryingly there are others out there who have been sold these RIBs and there is no interest by the authorities in putting in place a safety recall, as would be the case for most products found to have inherent safety issues.
I would urge anyone thinking of purchasing a used Piranha RIB to tread very cautiously, and to anyone having the misfortune to own a P550 Club Rescue, may offer my commiserations.
CJ
Old 03 February 2017, 09:04   #4

Town: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejay View Post
Piranha Ribs Ltd have shut up shop on Hayling Island, pulled their website, and done a runner.
The RIB that I was sold, under the grand title of a Piranha P550 Club Rescue, has proved to have serious manufacturing and fitting out defects, and to have originated in China, not Poland as I was told. The boat that I was sold is unsafe to use and due to this can not be offered for resale.
Worryingly there are others out there who have been sold these RIBs and there is no interest by the authorities in putting in place a safety recall, as would be the case for most products found to have inherent safety issues.
I would urge anyone thinking of purchasing a used Piranha RIB to tread very cautiously, and to anyone having the misfortune to own a P550 Club Rescue, may offer my commiserations.
CJ
Piranha have indeed disappeared.

Ceejay - What precisely is wrong with your boat that makes it unsafe? What would it take to rectify?
Old 03 February 2017, 10:02   #5

Any information on this RIB - Piranha Ribs Techno Marine P10

This is a very long and sorry tale, but I will keep it brief for now.
The RIB was shown to me at the London Boat Show in Jan 2015, and I was told by the gentleman who I spoke with that it was made in Europe, Poland to be precise. He was personable, seemed to know his stuff, and extolled its' virtues and presented it as a highly desirable product of great quality. He told me that he was present at the show to assist the owner of Piranha Ribs Ltd with sales, but was not in fact an employee of the company. What really put me at my ease was that he said that he was an RYA certificated power boat instructor, ran his own sea school and is associated with the RNLI, being a launching authority for his local inshore lifeboat, all of which is true.
When I got the RIB home, two months after I was promised it, it became apparent that it had been poorly fitted out and I spent some time tightening fittings, installing washers where none had been fitted and changing plain nuts for locknuts. The propellor was entirely the wrong pitch for the outfit, and had been fitted without the shaft having been greased. At my own expense, I had to buy a prop 4" lower in pitch to allow the engine to reach its' optimum max rev, as Piranha Ribs lied to me about the availability of Evinrude supplies at short notice.
Ultimately it has proved to be the case that the RIB does not comply with RCD, has a serious flooding problem due to five separate issues connected with its' construction, has a false and totally meaningless Hull ID number, is not of the dimensions that were specified in advertising information given to me and is in fact of Chinese origin, not Polish.
I have been to court and obtained a decree for the return of my money, but as Piranha RIBs Ltd have shut up shop and done a runner, it is far from certain that I will actually receive any refund. One of the original directors is now running a new business from the same location at Sparkes Marina as Piranha Ribs were.
The RIB that I have could not be made safe, or be made compliant with the RCD without significant financial outlay, and is effectively scrap. Many of the fittings are of low quality, for example, the steering wheel is already heavily corroded and has recently been identified to me as being designed to be fitted to a car. The electronics are wired in non marine cable. Furthermore the fuel tank filling hose and breather hose are not fire proof, and are in fact designed to carry water.
The boat is only fit to be scrapped, and it would be entirely inappropriate to offer it for sale, given its' dodgy build and fit out.
I would never have discovered the truth surrounding this disastrous purchase without having received invaluable advice and support from Nick Vass of Omega Yacht Services, who has put countless hours of his own time into assisting me, and to whom I will always be indebted.
I am also grateful to Colin Baldwin of Rib-X, who is in the process of fitting out one of their 535 RIBs, using my engine, at a favourable cost as a gesture of goodwill, which, following on from my recent experience, has shown me that there are good people out there. I will shortly have the privilege and assurance of owning a British made RIB, having visited the premises where it was built and having spoken with the people who have constructed it. It's difficult to place a price on the peace of mind that this gives.
Old 03 February 2017, 10:12   #6

Wow that is quite some tale ! Makes quite sorry reading. I feel your pain.
Old 03 February 2017, 10:25   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Try your insurance company, you "might" be covered, also credit card company if you paid even a small amount towards the boat on card, deposit etc. I now make a point of paying a small amount of any major purchase on my credit card, doing so can cover you for the whole amount, even if the balance is paid by other means.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2017, 10:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Try your insurance company, you "might" be covered, also credit card company if you paid even a small amount towards the boat on card, deposit etc. I now make a point of paying a small amount of any major purchase on my credit card, doing so can cover you for the whole amount, even if the balance is paid by other means.

I haven't used a credit card for years, so never gave it a thought.
Wise now though [emoji106]
Old 24 March 2017, 11:44   #9

Town: Emsworth
Boat name: Not names
Make: No boat yet
Length: 4m +
Engine: N/A
Wow looks like I had a close shave. Very nearly bought a Piranha 4.2 on Ebay sold as practically new. Hesitated after Google didn't bring up anything on the company and Companies House data showed all the directors as having resigned.
Old 24 March 2017, 12:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhmunro View Post
Wow looks like I had a close shave. Very nearly bought a Piranha 4.2 on Ebay sold as practically new. Hesitated after Google didn't bring up anything on the company and Companies House data showed all the directors as having resigned.
Yes Piranha have gone under.

Presume this is the boat?
Rib Boat . 4.2 metre complete package.( New boat.) | eBay

It is cheap...this thread is a little worrying. BUT - you could always get a survey done on it which would also be quite cheap. I wouldn't write it off straight away...
Old 24 March 2017, 13:39   #11

That's the one. Literally round the corner from me. I am tempted and the wife likes it so that's a huge bonus�� How would I go about getting it surveyed? Also the engine seems quite old to me but I guess it's a Honda so it will be OK for a while yet.
Old 24 March 2017, 17:34   #12

Despite what the advertiser says, I would put serious money on this being a cheap and nasty Chinese import.
I base this on personal experience and knowledge of the person who supplied it as new. It's likely that the quality of the fitting out leaves much to be desired.
Trust me, the guy who was the public face of Piranha was a conman, a crook and a fraudster and knew next to nothing about what constituted a well fitted out and safe RIB.
If you would like professional advice, I'd advise you to give Nick Vass of Omega Yacht Services a call.
Old 24 March 2017, 18:26   #13

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
if the original director is back trading at the same location. dump it back at the site and block all the doors until you get some sort of rebate,, dont get mad get even
Old 24 March 2017, 18:32   #14

Think I might give it a wide berth after all! BTW took a trip down to the bottom of Hayling this afternoon to check out Piranha HQ. Looks like they made a swift exit.
Old 25 March 2017, 17:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhmunro View Post
Think I might give it a wide berth after all! BTW took a trip down to the bottom of Hayling this afternoon to check out Piranha HQ. Looks like they made a swift exit.
Haha you had your back to my rib when you took that pic. Mine's the orange one on trailer 6feet behind.

Tags
rib