Old 09 February 2007, 11:30   #11
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
My feeling is that as battery capacity and current delivery has increased for a given physical size of casing, they have become less reliable.
What kind of betteries were they? Regular (i.e. "normal") cranking wet cells? SLA's? AGM's? GelCell?

My personal opinion is that batteries are getting much more specialized, and the different construction techniques and physical make-ups make them somewhat more fragile than, say, automotive batteries from 30 years ago (which, I suppose, means I agree with your statement.)

Alternate construction types (especially Gel Cells, but to some extent AGM's as well) benefit in longevity from careful matching of both the load and charging rates. I don't know if the failure rates (mechanical/electrical failure) are higher than they used to be, or if they're simply easier to kill. I suspect it's the latter.

My boat has a pair of "marine" cranking batteries (supposedly a bit more robust than a standard auto battery, but not really a true deep-cycle battery); seems to work fine for what I ask of them (actually, one battery would, as well, but it came with the pair, so that's what I use.) I could probably save a bit of space by going to a pair of AGM's, but will defer that decision until I actually start having problems with the current batteries.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2007, 11:40   #12
Town: Salisbury/Poole
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
These in MVHO are the bees, however not cheap.

Brian C
Harbour Sea School & APS Marine Centre
ashbypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2007, 13:36   #13
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
Split Battery system

The system I have gone for is the Merlin Split charging system with an automatic VSR relay that will charge the cranking battery and then the 'House' battery without any manual switch turning.

Then I am getting one of these small AGM cranking batteries

and an AGM house battery (the 80ah version of this one)

The main reason is that I am really short on space in the console but due to the small size of these batteries I can fit both in with room to spare. Plus I like the idea of a 5 year warranty and no maintenance.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 16:42   #14
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Which brings us back to Chris's batteries. I used to use Bosch batteries in the boat and in my vehicles. Strange things. They die without warning and won't accept a charge, hence the necessity to pull start. I swapped them for Exide, not my choice but when you're away from home and you need a battery, you need a battery. Anyway, the main one lasted about 3yrs and the backup was still good when I sold the boat. I now use Fulmen and I've had failures there too. They hate being partially discharged for any length of time, but I've also got one which is 5 years old and still good.

My feeling is that as battery capacity and current delivery has increased for a given physical size of casing, they have become less reliable.

Now, back to Wogue Rave's pulling......

Interesting point as to why modern batteries fail, as a kid I was always around a garage, when customers complained about none charging symptoms, one of the things carried out (after the customer left with a new battery) was to turn the replaced one upside down wash it out to removed the build up resting at the bottom, refill with correct mix, from memory this worked 95% of the time it would perform like a new battery. It was the material at the bottom that would build up and short the plates.

This was the norm in that particular garage many years ago, I don't know if it would work today as technology has moved on. Could save someone on here a couple of bob.
IBWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 17:54   #15
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
For most batteries technology has NOT moved on!!!

Tried this once - ended up wrecking a brand new pair of trousers - looked like moths had been at them. Cost of the trousers and cost of the acid - may as well just buy a new battery!!!
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 18:44   #16
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Yeh, I tried it once a long time ago but it wasn't successful. Talking about batteries, the one on my car has failed this week and it's just two years old. It appears to be a duff cell. It's had a couple or three almost complete discharges during its life but I would have expected a decent battery to withstand that. I might consider something a bit sturdier as a replacement.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2007, 01:51   #17
Town: South East
Make: Valiant DR520
Engine: Yamaha 75
Yeah I had a battery that must have been on its last legs and sometimes had to rely on pull starting. I used to bring one of those power pack things from Lidl. Totally useless!!! Pull cord anyday!

keelhauled is offline   Reply With Quote