Old 15 July 2013, 10:08   #1

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Any experience with rotomoulded plastic boats?

Looking at buying a new boat & the rotomoulded plastic boats appeal to me - why you ask well I hate fibreglass & wood in boats full stop, bloody awful stuff

Anyway the likes of the Funyak rib style boats, Rigiflex, Samboats etc appeal, has anybody any expereince or advice, we currently have a 16ft dory sports boat twin seater console which is very very practical sizewise, easily seats 5 & with a 90hp does 40+mph if required. However it weighs 1000kg so is not light.

These poly boats appear to be light, so fuel savings with a smaller engine would be good, just wondered what they are like to live with etc

Yes they make ones that look like ribs
Old 15 July 2013, 10:16   #2

Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
We have several Funyak 3.9m boats at the yacht club I instruct at. They have 15hp 4 strokes on the back, but only just get up onto the plane and really needs someone sat at the bow to keep it down. Would probobly be much better if they had the small centre consoles on them but I guess that would eat into deck space....

They sure are hard wearing, and they are indeed nice and light, im just not sure I could justify the 1800quid for one.....
Old 15 July 2013, 10:19   #3

I would like something in the 14-16ft range, as that fits in my garage, would have to be centre consoled.
Old 15 July 2013, 10:44   #4

Oooh just found this, looks about spot on for our needs - No pricing info though...

Pioner 17 Supersport | Sands Marine
Old 15 July 2013, 13:51   #5

Town: Bransgore, Christchurch
Boat name: Clementine
Make: Ribtec 535
Engine: 2x Mariner 40 (6E9)
MMSI: Handheld no DSC
RIBase
There is a Funyak on eBay at the moment item# 251299587178
Old 15 July 2013, 13:55   #6

Town: Huntly
Make: Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 Suzuki
Have a look at this looks like a rib and a vee hull don't know the price but seen one at Caley 2 weeks ago and looked good

Pioner - Pioner 17 Touring - the rigid boat with space, safety and stability
Old 15 July 2013, 14:06   #7
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
poly on hear has funyak with 15 hp I believe, I seem it out playing and looks good and pretty fast and easy to launch and recover
Old 15 July 2013, 14:23   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I remember Triumph (Trophy - same company I think) used to have a rotomolded PE sport fishing boat; heard they had a lot of problems keeping hardware bedded in the material. Don't recall hearing anything after the first couple of years of production; that could be good or bad, I suppose.

jky
Old 15 July 2013, 16:34   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
poly on hear has funyak with 15 hp I believe, I seem it out playing and looks good and pretty fast and easy to launch and recover
Its a 20HP 2 stroke, with centre console. Will get on the plane no problems even with 4 adults on board. Max speed 22 knots - but for its size that's fine.

Internet not great here - but I can get photos etc. of it in action this week if it helps.
Old 15 July 2013, 18:18   #10

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
I run 4 Logic Marine (also known as Triumph) 17ft dories as hire boats (RYA Powerboat Training Courses) and frankly they are pretty amazing boats. They are worked really hard and are pretty much indestructable. (search triumph or logic boats and watch them welly them with sledgehammers and tow them around behind a truck but not on a trailer!!) We have 15Hp on the back but they are rated to 90Hp which i think would be pretty scarey. We haven't had much issue with fittings and have never used the moulding materials/tools we have to fix them. Depending on the 'job' they can be a really good option

Regards, Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 19:18   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel View Post
I run 4 Logic Marine (also known as Triumph) 17ft dories as hire boats (RYA Powerboat Training Courses) and frankly they are pretty amazing boats. They are worked really hard and are pretty much indestructable. (search triumph or logic boats and watch them welly them with sledgehammers and tow them around behind a truck but not on a trailer!!) We have 15Hp on the back but they are rated to 90Hp which i think would be pretty scarey. We haven't had much issue with fittings and have never used the moulding materials/tools we have to fix them. Depending on the 'job' they can be a really good option

Regards, Paul
That's very impressive testing!!

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Old 15 July 2013, 20:34   #12

Town: Madrid (Spain)
Boat name: MAGO DE ONS
Make: ZAR 53
Engine: SUZUKI DF140
Also check Pioner - Pioner - the best rigid boats for work or leisure
Old 15 July 2013, 21:11   #13
RIBnet admin team

if you search my posts you will find some that list the main rib style rotomolded boats (as at a few years ago). As paul says they certainly fill a particular use when you want low maintenance / robust etc. i also wrote a long pm or email to someone a while back that i can probably unearth if you are serious.

jky rightly mentions that fixing things to PE hulls is different from normal although good suppliers should be able to advise the best options (nothing factory fitted has come loose on mine, and I've had more issues with cheap 'not really stainless' screws than anything i have fitted.

if you are in Scotland at all feel free to drop me a line and you can take mine out to see if it does what you want. It has bench seats (only option at the time) but a jockey variation is not available.
Old 15 July 2013, 23:09   #14

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I was very tempted by a Mac before I bought the Vipermax.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2013, 10:51   #15

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
I had rented a 4.8? Polycraft a few years ago on the Great Barrier Reef. Pretty indestructible apparently but it was strange watching the floor flex like on a SIB.

http://www.polycraft.com.au/model-ra...by/frontrunner
Old 16 July 2013, 11:03   #16

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Plenty of examples of sit on top kayaks having gear added, hatches, fish finders, rod holders etc. may not have the same forces applied to having a ski pole added though.
Old 23 July 2013, 20:32   #17

Town: West Coast
Make: Various
Engine: Outboard
Whaly Boats

Does anyone know if the Whaly 370 or 435 are self draining? Does anyone have any experience of them?
Old 23 July 2013, 20:57   #18

Looking at a picture of the 270 it looks like there is a through transom bung simillar to the FunYak. When underway you can pull it out and it should drain. They are only about 1" diameter so they do get clogged with sh1t. Think minature elephant trunk. BUT an elephant trunk can be raised while on the plain with a string from the console. Much harder to get bung in when underway and as soon as you stop and move to the stern to fit it you push the back down and it floods a wee bit....

Poly has a bilge pump fitted.
Old 23 July 2013, 21:02   #19
RIBnet admin team

Ashton, to be genuinely self draining the internal deck would need to be above the water line at rest, fully loaded (with engine on etc). I think that is unlikely (based on my Funyak and most ribs). Looking at the pics online it appears the whaly has a (approx) 25 mm drain plug in the centre of the transom. The funyak is similar (as are many smaller ribs/sibs) and if you remove the bung once moving (ideally) on the plane then the boat drains really quickly - although the Funyak drain is a bit bigger (40mm?); [I've stuffed properly once and 12"+ of water drained in probably 90 seconds - and I had come off the plane whilst I recomposed myself!]. I have added a small bilge pump for use when not moving (although actually its more useful when I am moving in some waves and don't want to go back and remove the bung).

I think with the transom design on both the whaly and funyak you couldn't add elephant trunks easily - as you would need to cut through the hull (and reseal it) not just the solid part of the transom to get them at the level you want. You could probably add something like the duckbill or ping pong ball type self bailing valve - but they aren't renowned for sealing properly.
Old 23 July 2013, 21:15   #20

Town: West Coast
Make: Various
Engine: Outboard
Whaly

Thanks Poly,

Im looking for something that i can leave on a swinging mooring without it filling up! I believe the Pioner Multi fills to just below the false ply deck with the bung out. We have a Rigiflex Cap 400 (Great durable boat), however its difficult to remove the bung when you get out to the boat on a swinging mooring.