Old 08 November 2002, 14:41   #11

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Dont do it

Scotty I antifouled my last rib but I would not recomend to do it again,I painted it white, it oxidised and went green, looked terrible aswell. To be most effective the more copper in the paint the more effective the antifoul product, ie reds and orange can hold more copper particles,true it makes the growth easier to remove but takes the look from the polished hull and will without a doubt reduce your speed.It is not so easy a job to do on the trailer and when you go to sell it it almost looks as if you are hiding something under the paintwork.Instead drive your rib from Howth to Malahide Marina and have her sling washed on their travel hoist in punts they used to charge 25 punts.All it means is that cleaning the hull is not so easy, but it is still possible to do, I often get cleaning the hull in my drysuit and with a scrubbing brush, while on its berth, and remember with less sunlight over the wintertime the serious growth is more a summertime problem.

Old 08 November 2002, 15:14   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
My Ribtec came antifouled (second hand rib) a year ago. To date the antifouling is still in good condition despite the rib spending most of its time sat on its trailer . Th paint hasn't cracked or dried out. Think its International "Interspeed" so its the hard wearing type. Even the little trailer rollers don't seem to mark it to badly. However it means the boat can sit in a marina without worrying about nasty things growing on it. As I said you will only leave an unpainted boat in a marina once for any length of time.

Pete

Old 09 November 2002, 08:00   #13

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
A while ago when I used to sail yacths there was some "electronic" antifouling set ups around where you put almost like a collar round the boat and connected it up to a control box and it was supposed to stop your boat getting fouled.

Dont know if they are still around or worked well but this could be a ideal solution. (assuming they dont cost a fortune).

Does anyone remember them ?, and have a info if they are still around ?.

Regards Gary
Old 09 November 2002, 09:22   #14

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Re: Dont do it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gavin
[B]I often get cleaning the hull in my drysuit and with a scrubbing brush,

Gavin,
My wife thinks your offer of cleaning our new boat is very generous and it changes her views of "southsiders"

ha ha

Old 09 November 2002, 14:34   #15

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Scotty lets hope it doesnt get any growth on it so,one rib keeps me busy enough,however it is important to keep it weed and barnicle free,I was in western Marine last week and a guy had left in his rib for a service and with the Pro Open they simply removed the tubes for cleaning, thats a bonus and saves the knuckles to some extent, but as as you know its the hull and motor that have the nooks and crannies to keep clean.Is this your first rib, or have you had a different type of boat before and did you antifoul then?
Old 09 November 2002, 16:18   #16

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Spend the money and buy a decent International Marine High speed antifoul + Outboard /outdrive sealer. If you put it on properley you can leave the boat on a trailer or in the water for as long as you like with no problems.
Alaan P
Old 10 November 2002, 06:20   #17

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Priddy
Spend the money and buy a decent International Marine High speed antifoul + Outboard /outdrive sealer. Alaan P
Alan,
Thanks for the advice. Can you post more details of this high speed antifoul ?
Thanks,

Luke.
Old 10 November 2002, 09:56   #18

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Luke. Contact your local International Marine depot for full information but in short the finish of the antifoul is a smooth as the gel coat hence NO SPEED reduction. Unfourtunatly we have the new breed of super cats to thank for the development of this antifoul. Alan P