Old 23 November 2013, 10:35   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Antifoul and retrofitting A-frame advise please

Have found 2006 Avon 560 + 115hp Opti package for sale and planning to view Sunday afternoon, know little about it to date but it appears to be a good package and competitively priced. Think it's been used a lightly used toy for big yacht.

However! ... There is always a compromise when buying second hand and already aware of a couple which I would to make hence would welcome advise on both

Firstly it has been anti fouled, have always dismissed any boat with anti foul, don't need it as boat will be kept on trailer, what's it covering? Looks naff, affects performance would appreciate others views as to if its a compromise worth considering??

Secondly, need a high tow point for wakeboarding but the A frame looks like it is just an arch which will not be suitable, would it be easy to retrofit standard Avon A frame which I know is rated? And anyone on here that could do the job and suggest overall price?

Any advise welcome

Cheers .....
Old 23 November 2013, 11:01   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
guess if it looks like a good deal when you are sat on it tomorrow then cleaning the anti-fouling off is just a dirty job to do, if hull looks fine under it you could just put up with it, or re anti-foul if it won't polish up. if the existing A frame is using the Avon mounting points then should be an easy enough to change over, or you could go the other direction and get an A frame built to your spec, may cost you a bit more but at least you get what you want and you can spec it to your own design, I can recommend Mark at Marine Fabrications for any stainless work but there are others on here that can build you an A frame to your spec too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010350.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	87775  
Old 23 November 2013, 12:01   #3

Thanks Chris ..... Just spoken to the owner he also mentioned anti foul can be removed, wasn't aware this was possible and would be a bit concerned what mess would be leave behind? Sounds like the boat has been just left standing in marina and bit grubby which if reflected in price don't mind as long as it will clean up.

The guy is a bit vague! ... Couldn't even tell me if trailer was coaster or bunker! How many hours etc, can anyone on here advise about Opti's? ie can you get engine report by plugging into PC same as ETEC's??

So .... Thread has now expanded, any advice on Opti's, cleaning products, anti foul removal, retrofitting A frames (estimated cost particularly appreciated)
Old 23 November 2013, 12:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
Thanks Chris ..... Just spoken to the owner he also mentioned anti foul can be removed, wasn't aware this was possible and would be a bit concerned what mess would be leave behind? Sounds like the boat has been just left standing in marina and bit grubby which if reflected in price don't mind as long as it will clean up.

The guy is a bit vague! ... Couldn't even tell me if trailer was coaster or bunker! How many hours etc, can anyone on here advise about Opti's? ie can you get engine report by plugging into PC same as ETEC's??

So .... Thread has now expanded, any advice on Opti's, cleaning products, anti foul removal, retrofitting A frames (estimated cost particularly appreciated)
there's load of vague but very genuine owners out there, so don't let that put you off, I always think that face to face you soon pick up if are talking to someone who is straight, if not walk away as there are plenty of ribs out there!

good luck tomorrow and keep us updated on progress
Old 23 November 2013, 13:20   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Yachts don't antifoul their deck toys - no need. It's been lying in the water somewhere OR it was antifouled to cover up repairs.

Antifoul is a barsteward to remove. If the hull was keyed to ensure adhesion, then you have that "damage" to deal with too.
Old 23 November 2013, 13:51   #6

Thanks Wilk ... Confirms what I thought, definitely been lying around marina (and still is) don't think it comes out very often as the owner can't be sure of the colour of anti f
Old 23 November 2013, 13:57   #7
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Antifoul is a barsteward to remove. If the hull was keyed to ensure adhesion, then you have that "damage" to deal with too.
I have no experience actually doing it, but I heard the epoxy barrier coat under the anti-foul is the tough part. Especially if they sanded it pretty hard with 80 grit before applying it!
Old 23 November 2013, 16:33   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I've done it (removed Antifoul) from two Hulls now...used the stripper,and apart from the mess,and Time.. no problem at all..And WHILE Boats were on their Trailers...Both had been 'Key'd' and by using thinners it soon came out of even deepish scratches...polish with Compound.. then T-cut and Wax..Sorted
Only time I can see it being an issue is if it's been applied to hide or disguise damage of some kind,of course you wont know till you get it orf!..
Improves performance,looks 100% better, and makes it easier to maintain/clean Hull. Go for it!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2013, 16:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I've done it (removed Antifoul) from two Hulls now...used the stripper,and apart from the mess,and Time.. no problem at all..Both had been 'Key'd' and by using thinners it soon came out of even deepish scratches...polish with Compound.. then T-cut and Wax..Sorted
Only time I can see it being an issue is if it's been applied to hide or disguise damage of some kind,of course you wont know till you get it orf!..
Improves performance,looks 100% better, and makes it easier to maintain/clean Hull. Go for it!
glad you said that Maximus, I was beginning to doubt myself Jeff & Sandy Hutcheon bought a 6mtr Cobra this summer that had been antifouled, he spent a few days cleaning it off and it looks fine underneath I certainly wouldn't let antifouling alone put me off buying a rib, obviously you need to feel confident the hull is ok but if the rest of the rib looks genuine and the seller is ok when you meet him at the rib, then it's got to be worth a look at least. buying anything 2nd hand is a risk, but there again buying new aint always straight forward is it
Old 24 November 2013, 18:29   #10

Viewed today and not for me :-( sound boat but anti fouled right up to tubes and looked a mess, that said genuine seller and sound boat which just needs a good clean up so if your happy with re doing anti foul would be worth considering, asking price is 13.5k but he will drop, it's not advertised on Internet so if anyone is interested drop me PM
Old 24 November 2013, 19:15   #11

good choice to walk away, if it doesn't feel right it's not for you, there are plenty out there n it's a good time of year to be looking good luck finding the rib for you