Old 06 April 2006, 10:58   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
another stoopid question!

Lifejackets....

Currently using one "borrowed" from work because the cost of buying one locally was silly (best part of £300!!) and you can buy a decent one for less than £100 mail order.

So I need to order a couple...

Am I right in thinking the "harness" quoted with many jackets (as in the jacket is supplied "with harness" or "without harness") is a safety harness so you can tie yourself to the boat? so not essential?

In fact on something with an outboard, possibly not even desirable ... visions of being "reeled in" by the prop if the line got caught in it!

What do you all use, harness or no harness?

Ta
Old 06 April 2006, 11:01   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
I believe the harnes is the bit that goes between your legs to stop the Life Jacket riding up should you go into the water.

I use the harness version lifejacket, with automatic inflation.

Old 06 April 2006, 11:22   #3

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Great White
Make: Searider 5.4/Dory 13
Engine: 90hp(Rib),30hp(Dory)
No, the bit under you're legs is the crotch strap. You should ALWAYS wear this (MOB lost in sydney-hobart by slipping out the bottom of his inflated lifejacket), as the lifejacket is useless without it. It also makes it much easier to be pulled back on board.

The main difference usually is in the standard of buckle used and the addition of a "D" ring on the front that you can use to clip yourself on with. I always go for harness if possible, as it is also useful for the odd dabbling in yachts. I would never use a standard harness on a RIB for the reason you gave, but mainly that if I fall out I want to be well clear of the following blender, rather than being pinned right in it. Although I have never tried myself, A short line (max 2ft) may be good to keep the driver attached to his position, so he cannot even fall near the edges of the boat, but for what we do this is unnecessary (as safety boat we wear buoyancy aids - easier to swim and better body armour).
Old 06 April 2006, 11:31   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatfish
No, the bit under you're legs is the crotch strap. You should ALWAYS wear this (MOB lost in sydney-hobart by slipping out the bottom of his inflated lifejacket), as the lifejacket is useless without it. It also makes it much easier to be pulled back on board.

The main difference usually is in the standard of buckle used and the addition of a "D" ring on the front that you can use to clip yourself on with. I always go for harness if possible, as it is also useful for the odd dabbling in yachts. I would never use a standard harness on a RIB for the reason you gave, but mainly that if I fall out I want to be well clear of the following blender, rather than being pinned right in it. Although I have never tried myself, A short line (max 2ft) may be good to keep the driver attached to his position, so he cannot even fall near the edges of the boat, but for what we do this is unnecessary (as safety boat we wear buoyancy aids - easier to swim and better body armour).
As DogCatfish (first Codprawn, now Dogcatfish?!) says a harness is designed for yottie use where you want to 'clip on' to a lifeline if say you are working on the bow handling sails. You dont want to be clipped on to a RIB at all (apart from the killcord of course.) as falling out and being dragged along at a rate of knots is going to most likely ruin your day.
Old 06 April 2006, 11:35   #5

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
As Dogcatfish has said a harness is the D ring at the front of the lifejacket. The straps that go through your legs are to prevent the lifejacket from riding over your head.

The harness D ring is woven into the webbing. I would say their is no point spending the extra money unless you are going tp playing around on yachts as well. Noted what people have said about falling overboard and having a harness attached to the boat, and getting chewed in the prop. This should not happen as the kill cord would stop the engine first.

I say to people a harness could become a real problem in a capsize situation, as you would not be thrown clear of the boat, but instead the you would be under the boat in the darkness and totally disorientated, which would make it hard to unclip the harness.

Simon
Old 06 April 2006, 11:43   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatfish
No, the bit under you're legs is the crotch strap. You should ALWAYS wear this ...
..we wear buoyancy aids - easier to swim and better body armour.
Absolutely. In an open boat I mostly wore both the buoyancy aid and a manual inflate life jacket.

In my cabin boat I've not standardised on either and I've even somethimes gone without (I can't quite sus the best solution.) but I always wear the buoyancy aid at the harbourside.
Old 06 April 2006, 11:46   #7

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Great White
Make: Searider 5.4/Dory 13
Engine: 90hp(Rib),30hp(Dory)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins
I say to people a harness could become a real problem in a capsize situation, as you would not be thrown clear of the boat, but instead the you would be under the boat in the darkness and totally disorientated, which would make it hard to unclip the harness.
Simon
This shows the importance of getting a proper harness line made up, for whatever you use it. All of the approved ones should have quick release on both ends, so that even if you cannot see, or the other end is inaccessable, you only need to find your chest and from there it's easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins
Noted what people have said about falling overboard and having a harness attached to the boat, and getting chewed in the prop. This should not happen as the kill cord would stop the engine first.
This assumes the driver fell out. If a passenger fell out of your boat, think how long it would take to spot it, think about it, and then kill the engine. I would say either: make sure your lifeline prevents you from getting near the egde; OR you can fall completely clear and detached.
Old 06 April 2006, 12:00   #8

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Noted what you say, and yes they are quick to release when you are not disorientated and panicking in the dark in a capsized rib. Why do you think the RNLI, Marine Police etc not use them.

I would advise against any form or harness in a open powered boat.

Simon
Old 06 April 2006, 19:25   #9

Thank you, excellent answers as always

I am trying to find one place that can supply everything I need so as I can do an order for everything, so what I get will depend on what is available. At the moment Mailspeed Marine seem to do everything except for hypalon cleaner for the tubes so I guess it may be one of theirs.
Old 19 April 2006, 06:02   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
if you want

Stephen send me a list of what you need and I'll find out the trade prices and order it all from our suppliers, you can then arrange for a Courier to collect it or I'll ship it out to you.

Your lifejackets seem very costly to me
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2006, 07:33   #11

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Aladdins cave have a well reviewed lifejacket - the Ocean Safety - for £70 on their website:

http://www.ekmpowershop.com/ekmps/sh...&productid=223

I'd certainly look at this one if I was in the market...

Also, as previously stated - crotch straps are a must, but a harness is only of use on a yacht - NEVER CLIP ON TO A RIB!
Old 20 April 2006, 08:32   #12

Town: Exmouth, Devon
The only problem you might have getting lifejackets mail order is with delivery. Technically they are classed as 'dangerous goods' by most carriers for purposes of air transport. This is due to the pressurised CO2 canister. And yes, they do check because I had some turned back! DHL are probably most difficult for this, others may be easier. Although I couldn't possibly condone it, you might be more fortunate with regular post - costs £10-12 airmail. Or you could wait a few weeks/months for surface delivery . . .
Old 20 April 2006, 11:18   #13

I have the delivery angle covered, I can get haz cargo shipped to the container stuffers that do all the other orders for the company I work for (which imports loads of stuff) and they can make the necessary arrangements.

Having said that ... you can buy CO2 canisters here anyway, are they all the same fitting? if not what do you have to look for?