Old 05 May 2003, 16:15   #31

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Well done Pete - yep, it is an American trailer that had come with a previous boat.

Someone bought it for 12,950

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2003, 17:03   #32

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Since you haven't changed your profile can we safely take it that it wasn't you ? Not sure 13k was a bargin though. There is a 6.5 Scorpion for that money, all be it with a 90 hp.

Wonder if the new owner is one of us ?

Pete

Old 05 May 2003, 19:18   #33

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Not me I'm afraid. Not in the market for a new toy just yet although the scurvy crew keeps asking for a bigger boat for a softer ride - wimp.

Also I like roller trailers not bunks.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2003, 01:57   #34

Town: Alton
Boat name: Arrow Flight
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 175 EFI
MMSI: 235026883
A lemon?

Well someone had to buy it guys!!

It seemed like a good price to me too. The owner explained to me the US trailer connection and your correct in that. However being the newbie I didn't spot the roller bit. It's also single axle which I don't like.

Going down for a run later today with view to completing the sale.

Your comments noted on the fuel tank set up. No doubt you'll have all have some suggestions on how this might be improved.

I'm just very pleased that by the end of today we could own our first rib!!

Now the learning begins.

Colin
Old 06 May 2003, 02:10   #35

No definately not a lemon. Humber are good hulls that survive well in the the dive boat role which is by far the hardest test for a rib. The Merc 175 EFI are proven and there are lots of V6 engines about incase you manage to break it or run aground so spares shouldn't be a problem. But do give it a good run before you part with the readies and ask the the extras, ropes electronics, manuals, spare prop ? full fuel tanks, you can only ask.

Speed should be about 45 mph ish.

Pete
Old 06 May 2003, 03:49   #36

Thanks Pete. Re-assuring!

Next issue is storage. Not enough space at home for long term storage and concious of insurance apsects of driveway parking.

So...any thoughts on Hamble to Chichester options. Sparkes marina are talking 2.5K for year round dry boat storage. (I'm 20 mins up the road from you Pete in Alton, Hants.)

I will be looking around over the next few days but any ideas welcome.

ATB
Old 06 May 2003, 04:01   #37
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
You could try Northney Marina at the top of Hayling Island. They have a good slip and all tides access. As far as I know they don't do dry berthing as such, but they do have a secure boat park.

You're about 40 minutes from the sea (and the harbour patrols do carry speed guns!), but it could take you that much longer to get to Sparkes by car anyway.

John
Old 06 May 2003, 05:00   #38

Ref storage have a chat with Stuart (Wavehumper), he might be able to do you a deal or if not then Saxon Wharf in Southampton will be cheaper. Also Drivers Wharf although they have to crane in and out could be an option. Other possibilites are Ocean Ribs at Portchester.

Bet Stuart would be interested in that trailer if you wanted to change it.

If you are after dry storage, ask if Lurcher can do you a deal, he is just round the corner from you in Four Marks.

The fuel tank question depends on how the console is fixed. Is it held in with self tappers or glassed in ?

Pete
Old 06 May 2003, 06:17   #39

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
If it's the deluxe console, which it does look like from the picture, then it's the same as mine. I have a fixed 90L fuel tank under the console which came pre-fitted when I bought the boat..... it's just about the right size for what I need, but to be honest, I don't think you'd get anything larger in there.

The console is held down by many many screws, and I think it's sealed down as well - when I've got a couple of inches of water in the boat, it hasn't wept through into the dry area under the console.

If you decide to put some stuff into the top of the console, be prepared to get through many blades - mine was a nightmare to cut into

-Alex
Old 06 May 2003, 12:01   #40

"You could try Northney Marina" ..........thanks John, I'll add it to the list.

"Ref storage have a chat with Stuart (Wavehumper)" .......same, thanks Pete

"Bet Stuart would be interested in that trailer if you wanted to change it" ........just done a launch/recover and it was OK Pete, but the run to Penzance worries me with only two wheels and unbraked, so I'll bear Stuart in mind.

"If you are after dry storage, ask if Lurcher" ........ Pete, if Lurcher is who I think he is, he's helping me collect it tomorrow from Hythe.

"If it's the deluxe console, which it does look like from the picture" .....sounds like it Alex. I think its the convenience factor of one tank and gauge which appeals rather than 4 x plastic 20ltr cans using fuel level sight strip in the cans and changing pairs half way through. But until I've learned a deal more about how all this works I think I can live with it.

The screwing and bonding is as you describe and Humber confirmed the attachment method when I spoke to them today about adding new pod seats. Your comment noted about the console cutting and blades.

Weather was good and test run seemed fine, clocked 55mph Pete, using hand held gps, so that seems in line with your estimate. Boat was in excellent condition, so had to do it! Parted with the shekels and looking forward to the first outing, whenever that might be!

Console is bare apart from rpm, trim and temp.... so thoughts turn to 1) Radio 2) Compass 3) Sounder etc. Anyone know a good chandelry or is the web cheapest? Any particular brands favoured in the hi-tech wiggly amps world?

ATB

Colin