Old 11 August 2012, 19:28   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Another busy day ...

for lifeboats and coastguards ...

I think everyone thought today was like the last few days...but it wasn't ! It was a decent Easterly down here and solent CG seemed to be very busy on the radio ( I could only hear thier side ).

Quieter in Poole until mid afternoon then it was mayhem - a bad jetski collision , missing swimmers, sinking dinghy , broken down RIB and only the last two involved me .

When I have a shower and a beer I'll explain all ....

Anyone else out and seem to think it was hectic out and about ?
Old 11 August 2012, 19:38   #2

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Jetskiis always seem to bring it on them selves!! Out in Swanage the other day with one about 30 meters to my left as i was overtaking. Without even a glance or look over his shoulder he does a full 180 to the right, basically heading straight for me, causing me to cut sharply away! They never seem to have any sense
Old 11 August 2012, 20:24   #3

Length: 7m +
I was walking near durdle door, saw a young chap climbing the door, he swam out from beach than vertical up the far side, stopped half way up and missed footing causing a number of bowling ball size rocks to fall down near swimmers in the water, he eventually made it to the top, no climbing gear apart from trainers and a pair of shorts. Absolute idiot, I thought he was going to die. No one else on the packed beach and cliff seemed at all concerned. People amaze me.
Old 11 August 2012, 20:27   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Pete was our Skipper today, these are some of the pictures

From the description of the jetski accident, I dont think one of them will be walking again soon or at all ... No one deserves that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2065.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	71116   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2066.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	71117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2067.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	71118  
Old 11 August 2012, 20:29   #5

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
sinking dinghy , broken down RIB and only the last two involved me .

When I have a shower and a beer I'll explain all ....

Anyone else out and seem to think it was hectic out and about ?
We were out yesterday in herne bay and yet again jet skiers managed to forget every single rule going. When we were skiing and i fancied a rest (fell in) i felt the need to hold one ski in the air as a group of jet skiers came towards me. Not a nice feeling.
Out of interest. Did you rescue a sinking dingy and then break down. Ha ha. Smiley face.

Ps really need smilies on the phone app....... writing the expressions just doesnt cut it......
Old 11 August 2012, 20:36   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
Jetskiis always seem to bring it on them selves!! Out in Swanage the other day with one about 30 meters to my left as i was overtaking. Without even a glance or look over his shoulder he does a full 180 to the right, basically heading straight for me, causing me to cut sharply away! They never seem to have any sense
Can't tarnish them all with the same brush but the thing is: it's a quick and cheap way for anyone to get on the water and do 50mph with little or no experience and sometimes that is all too apparent.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2012, 20:45   #7

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Can't tarnish them all with the same brush but the thing is: it's a quick and cheap way for anyone to get on the water and do 50mph with little or no experience and sometimes that is all too apparent.
Yeah i know its not every single one, alot of them are fine. Its just a few that seem to be a hassle.

Hope everyones ok involved in the accident though!
Old 11 August 2012, 20:46   #8

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
No not our RIB ....
Old 11 August 2012, 20:51   #9

I felt pics of the injured skier & sinking dinghy were not appropriate.

Am sure the ski accident will become wider knowledge in due course, but for several reasons I dont want to get into it ( hasten to say none to do with me or Steve ).

The dinghy was a fireball ( or something) who snapped his rudder off in the entrance to Poole harbour and was totally swamped . One of the two crew was not happy at all as their safety boats were oblivious, but she seemed pleased when we pulled up

The Rib I had seen earlier in the day inside the harbour with the crew looking at the engine and not going far very fast . an hour later they had made it out into studland bay & they were still loking at the engine and starting to take the cowl off. I had chat and they too seemed very pleased to see us next to them, and it seemed they had spun the prop bushing ( the only thing that made sense to me - revs and gear OK but no 'go' ) we left them for ten minutes making 1knot back to Poole, but the swell was really quite big for that bit of Studland due to the easterly . I had a niggle in my head so went back and found them really not doing well with one of thier passengers quite cold and miserable ( who transferred to the ILB when it came out) , We tried to tow but didn't have a long enough line for the weight of the boat and the swell ( I guess about a 3m swell & 6 people/250 yam and a biggish hard nose osprey ) and after not long it parted .

So we stayed with them until the ILB turned up.

Have to give credit to the Poole station today ....out all afternoon but still smiling when we left them to it . FULL respect .
Old 13 August 2012, 10:56   #10

Poole Lifeboat Station

fuller info from the RNLI ...

turns out the ILB was out again later in the evening !!!
Old 13 August 2012, 12:53   #11

The majority of JetSkiers can be a real pain, ive lost count of the times Ive had to shout at them to move away from my stern, they are like wasps buzzing around your stern to jump the waves. Ive even had numerous incidents of them passing dangerously close to my bow, with one person deciding to fall on in front of me causing me to do an emergency turn and power down.

Only last weekend I was coming in from sandbanks ens of the channel approaching poole harbour, one jet ski doing about 40knots in the 10 knot channel in view of the harbour patrol vessel in the entrance and then another jetskier towing a young lad on a ring going across the channel from one of the beaches in between large powerboats.

Perhaps I need a water cannon LOL
Old 17 August 2012, 09:11   #12

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Trixie
Make: Scorpion 8.5m
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
Jet Skiers get a pretty bad rep... and as a Jet Skier myself... it is often deserved.

Even Jet Skiers hate jet skiers ! dangerous idiots - PWCforums

They are known as ebay skiers, buy a ski for £1,200 Thursday, ride it Saturday (in jeans with no training, Life jackets) crash it Sunday.

Speedy recovery to all involved however and good work with the rescues PeterB
Old 17 August 2012, 10:01   #13

Dont get me wrong there are a lot of nutty /daft/ dangerous jetskiers out there. I consider myself as 'educated' haveing owned one for 4 years or so.

Especially in Poole harbour - Baiter park slipway is a mecca for them ! Speeding , no idea etc .

However there are still a lot of competant and safe skiers out there. The ones involved in the accident I know were not of the that kind - I am sure the MAIB will look into it and some googling will reveal what I mean .......
Old 17 August 2012, 21:27   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
The ones involved in the accident I know were not of the that kind - I am sure the MAIB will look into it and some googling will reveal what I mean .......
Does the MAIB do anything other than investigate, report and make suggestions or can they directly change the Law? Be good if they could!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 22:45   #15

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Does the MAIB do anything other than investigate, report and make suggestions or can they directly change the Law? Be good if they could!
According to some, Education, not regulation is what is needed

Personally I think some people are just not going to learn until you hit them with sanctions....

Old 17 August 2012, 22:56   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave

No the maib dont make or enforce law. Only elected politicians make laws, either through new acts of parliament or statutory instruments (which are granted by ministers under powers of some acts). The mca can influence new laws and provide guidance on interpretation or implementation of existing ones, and the maib can make recommendations to the mca, and probably the ministers on new regulations.

However new laws are probably not required: almost certainly there are existing common law or maritime offences in the most serious cases, it needs the mca and/or police and the cps to take a more robust stance. Any new law would require enforcement resource, which could be deployed now anyway.
Old 20 August 2012, 12:46   #17

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
[QUOTE=tonto;482218]Personally I think some people are just not going to learn until you hit them with sanctions....
QUOTE]

...or another jetski!
Old 20 August 2012, 13:19   #18

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
According to some, Education, not regulation is what is needed

Personally I think some people are just not going to learn until you hit them with sanctions....

Shirley your not suggesting that everyone who has a boat should pass a competency exam before being allowed on the water.

One day your life will flash in front of your eyes...Make sure it's worth watching!
Paul Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 15:53   #19

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Don't know yet...
Make: Arctic 22
Engine: 2x 150 etecs
I don't see why there shouldn't be some form of basic requirement. We all have to have a licence to drive a car and the car must be insured, so why not boats?

Some boat accidents will happen no matter how well trained the crew are, but with a little training most of the other accident statistics could be reduced.
Old 20 August 2012, 18:48   #20

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Trixie
Make: Scorpion 8.5m
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcd22
I don't see why there shouldn't be some form of basic requirement. We all have to have a licence to drive a car and the car must be insured, so why not boats?
Well needed ! Would be quiet costly to manage tho.... Maybe they should introduce boat tax to help cover the cost