Old 24 November 2004, 18:39   #1

Town: Hemel Hempstead
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8.1
Engine: inbord diesel 300hp
anodes

Does anybody know where to get the zinc rod that goes into a Yanmar engine anode???
Buying a set of these for £80 and replacing the ones on the leg as well gets expensive.
Has anyone else found these dissolve very quickly when the boat is moored up, I keep it in the Hamble or Island harbour I.O.W and already replaced one set this year and now need a another. Can any help!!!
Old 24 November 2004, 19:08   #2
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
I assume your engine is attached to Mercruiser drive? If so make sure it has a Mercathode unit (It replaces the anode where the Power trim pipes split to the rams). Make sure it is working correctly. There is a test that any Mercruiser centre can do for this. Also make sure there aren't any other irregularities in the wiring that could cause the engine/drive to be permenantly live which will cause anodes to corrode very quickly.

How bad are they whan you replace them? We only replace anodes that are over 1/2 corroded.

The bloke anodes do tend to errode quicker then the ones on the drive (I think because they use a brass nut to hold the anode in the Aluminium block).
Old 24 November 2004, 20:49   #3

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Hi Sharkey
I have a customer that i have changed his anodes 4 times this year alone, he has twin Volvo duo prop outdrives, stainless props, on permant shore power with the cable dangling in the water and backed up to a pontoon post, all these contrubute to erroding anodes, Oh and what are the anodes like on the boats around yours as this does not help either.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2004, 14:40   #4
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
No 341 in a series of daft questions...

On a marina based boat (so in the water 100% of the time), but not used as often as I would have liked (42 hours in the last 4 months ) - would you expect the anodes on the drive to corrode quicker, slower, or in about the same time as the engine anodes?

My outdrive anodes definately need replacing - but the whole lot is due for a service in 8 hours - although I don't know how long it will take me to get to the 50 hr mark.

Also - is changing the engine anodes difficult, or is it just one out and one in?

And finally, referring to the first post - is there an alternative source of anodes? £192.16 every 4 months is going to add up.........

Dylan...
Old 22 December 2004, 15:58   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: TBA
Make: TBA
Length: no boat
Engine: TBA
Try Keypart, seem to remember seeing some at the London Boat Show.

http://www.keypart.co.uk/

George