Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 February 2010, 16:12   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Anchoring outside a drying harbour

I am sure there was a thread on here describing this technique, but now I cant find it. Can anyone help, please?

Essentially I want to be able to anchor my boat "offshore" and without getting wet, proceed to the shore/dockside. And then, more importantly, to be able to recover it the next morning without getting wet once again.

There is such a technique using a running line thru a pulley/carabiner, isnt there?

This is not an idle request. I intend to cruise thru the Inner and Outer Hebrides this year and need to know this technique.
Old 07 February 2010, 17:54   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Brian as one who uses the system on the west of scotland I can advise that it is as simple or complicated as you want to make it. Basically it is an appropriate anchor with raiser to bouy with a loop mechanism either ring/carrabine or rope just below the water line. You then run your slip rope to the shore looping it thru the ring thus also allowing you to attach your boat. You then can pull your boat out to the bouy and then attach the shore end to a permanent fixing on shore. Hope this helps.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 18:11   #3
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Essentially I want to be able to anchor my boat "offshore" and without getting wet, proceed to the shore/dockside. And then, more importantly, to be able to recover it the next morning without getting wet once again.
iyve sean dis tekniqe az wel

ifn i reemember correkly i fink itts corld........

...........gow an bi a dingy

wiLf

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 18:43   #4
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Jambo-thank you !

wiLf - I have a dingy, but I am trying not to take/use it in that environment. But thank you for your kind words.
Old 07 February 2010, 20:05   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Engine: 115 hp
knot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Hi Brian as one who uses the system on the west of scotland I can advise that it is as simple or complicated as you want to make it. Basically it is an appropriate anchor with raiser to bouy with a loop mechanism either ring/carrabine or rope just below the water line. You then run your slip rope to the shore looping it thru the ring thus also allowing you to attach your boat. You then can pull your boat out to the bouy and then attach the shore end to a permanent fixing on shore. Hope this helps.

J
I would also be tying a great big knot in the line just in case somebody sees the rope but cant see whats on the end of it at least if the rope is undone the boat wont just drift away.
Old 07 February 2010, 22:21   #6

I am also interested in having my boat off shore, so have I got this right,anchor over the stern attached to bouy with ring, tie one end of rope to stern, back through ring on the bouy then back to shore, then back to bow?
pull on one rope to move the boat to shore ,pull stern line to pull boat to bouy.
I was caught out before with a falling tide ,and also with a rising tide , so this would be helpful
Old 08 February 2010, 10:09   #7

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
The line from the bouy to the shore is independent, it goes thru the ring/carrabine and forms a loop to the shore fixing point. All you do is attach your bow painter to the loop and pull out to bouy and vice-versa for coming to shore. For ease I always put a loop in the main line for ease and it forms a stop at the bouy.
Hope this helps.
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 11:20   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I think this is what Jambo is describing?

It does mean there is a rope fairly close to the surface of the water though which may be a hazard in some places. I've seen a similar approach described where the lines run back to the anchor rather than the bouy - so keeping them submersed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	running mooring doodle.jpg
Views:	1244
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	49071  
Old 08 February 2010, 11:56   #9

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I think this is what Jambo is describing?

It does mean there is a rope fairly close to the surface of the water though which may be a hazard in some places. I've seen a similar approach described where the lines run back to the anchor rather than the bouy - so keeping them submersed.
if floating lines going to be a problem ,,, lead line,, rope used by some crab fishermen and long liners and gill netters would be ok for keeping it submerged ,, its basicly normal polyprop rope with a string of lead pellets woven inside so it sinks to the bottom ,makes good anchor rope too,
Old 08 February 2010, 12:45   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
if floating lines going to be a problem ,,, lead line,, rope used by some crab fishermen and long liners and gill netters would be ok for keeping it submerged ,, its basicly normal polyprop rope with a string of lead pellets woven inside so it sinks to the bottom ,makes good anchor rope too,
But surely the rope needs to be fairly taught to keep the boat at the mooring and not drifting back to shore in an onshore blow? Its not so much a floating rope problem as a 'taught' rope problem.
Old 08 February 2010, 15:16   #11
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Polwart

Perhaps, in your diagram, if the painter was not put thru a ring (as I think you describe), but tied to the running line, this would pull the boat out to the anchor, and as long as the shore end of the line was firmly fastened in some way, this would solve problem 1. i.e. the boat drifting back to shore.

I dont foresee any way of solving problem 2 i.e. floating/submerged line fouling an incoming/outgoing boat EXCEPT pulling the line as tight as the tide allows and attaching a floating marker(s) along the line itself, though this is not an elegant solution.
Old 08 February 2010, 15:53   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Brian, click here.

I'll also add that if you're hand pulling your Scorpion and the wind is against you, you may not manage, indeed, the boat may take you off your feet and the whole thing will go pear shaped. With my present boat I've stopped doing it for that reason and I use a dingy. If I feel the weather may be dodgy I also lay a line from the anchored rib to the shore to which the dingy is clipped. It's a long way from the Outer Isles to Canada if the wind is offshore and you miss your target. I use a 6mm polyester rope which sinks. A long length is stowed on a reel and takes up very little stowage space on the boat. BTW, there are so few boats in the Islands that a floating rope is unlikely to be a problem unless you are anchoring in the vicinity of a harbour.
Old 08 February 2010, 15:57   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Polwart

Perhaps, in your diagram, if the painter was not put thru a ring (as I think you describe), but tied to the running line, this would pull the boat out to the anchor, and as long as the shore end of the line was firmly fastened in some way, this would solve problem 1. i.e. the boat drifting back to shore.
sorry I think that is my drawing skills. It was meant to be as you / Jambo described with the painter fixed to a secure point/loop in the running line. The drift to shore comment was if you made the running lines slack enough to sink - then the boat would be free to drift.

Quote:
I dont foresee any way of solving problem 2 i.e. floating/submerged line fouling an incoming/outgoing boat EXCEPT pulling the line as tight as the tide allows and attaching a floating marker(s) along the line itself, though this is not an elegant solution.
I have seen it decribed elsewhere along the lines in this new doodle. The side of the rope which doesn't go through the anchor can be slack (and so sink) until you want to pull the boat back in.

I've never tried this so it may be that it gets fouled on rough bottoms too easily or rope chaffs etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	running mooring doodle 2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	49072  
Old 09 February 2010, 13:03   #14
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
JW says:
"If I feel the weather may be dodgy I also lay a line from the anchored rib to the shore to which the dingy is clipped. "

Wise words indeed, Jeff. Ones I shall take account of. I never thought of rigging a dingy line to my shore line via a carabiner. Could make getting back to the boat v. swift in the right weather conditions!