Old 18 October 2014, 08:06   #1

Town: Phuket
Length: 4m +
Anchoring at this beach for an overnight stay?

Hi there!

I'm planning to stay for a few days at a nice resort owning their own "private" beach (the photosphere was taken by me during a previous stay).

The resort is "OK" with anchoring my boat there.

As stated in my other posts, I'm really new at boating/anchoring and somewhat inexperienced - or at best really unsure of myself!

How to safely anchor? Do I need a second anchor? As you can see on the photosphere, there's already a rope going from the beach to the water for their own "taxi boat"...

And please, don't laugh at me!

Old 18 October 2014, 10:03   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I certainly wouldn’t laugh Andaman ... We all learn off each other ..but I would be a liar to say I wasn’t envious of the stunning location .

I often stay overnight in remote places and have to think of what Im going to do with my boat.

Yours is just a small RIB ..so for peace of mind.. I think I would just beach it for the night. If possible..using the tide to leave it high and dry ..then refloat it in the morning. (Assuming tide times are suitable)

To anchor it..you will need to provide more information.. ie ..how you intend getting ashore if you anchor off shore. How tidal is the bay..is does it go out far.. how exposed to swell ... is the wind direction changeable etc.

If I anchor off a bay..I have chest waders to get ashore dry. I throw an anchor over the front of the boat into the water (You should always keep the bow into the waves..even just landing on a beach..jump out and turn the bow quickly into the waves..if you dont..one can come over the back and swamp your boat) Once the front anchor has caught on the bottom ... I will take another rope from the rear of the boat...as I wade ashore .. and tie it off on the beach. I always like a line tied to land. The sea anchor has a good lump of chain attached to the anchor..to absorb the shock of swell pulling on it. You also have to consider how deep the water will be when you want the boat back if using chest waders.

Beware.. Swell can displace the front anchor..so that is why I beach it if possible. If I have to leave it overnight in water..I would look for a very sheltered place..like a harbour or river mouth. Anchoring and leaving the boat overnight on an exposed beach is my last option.

Sea anchor over front in this photo..and also a rope from rear of boat ..tied onto the shore (a large rock)

Hope that helps you a little... others may add or offer other ideas...but these suggestions work for me.

Old 18 October 2014, 10:17   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Depends on how far the tide goes out etc, but I have one of these below works very well.

Origional "Anchor Buddy" 14 ' Streches to 50' 4000lb capacity Blue #AB4000-RB | eBay

If you search youtube you should find some good examples of how it is used.

HTH
Old 18 October 2014, 10:26   #4
RIBnet supporter

This vid gives you a good idea how to use it

Old 18 October 2014, 10:29   #5
RIBnet supporter

This also

Old 18 October 2014, 10:53   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I also use an anchor buddy with my rib. Very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2014, 11:24   #7

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hey...interesting system..and its why I didn't laugh..I have learned something new too.

Can anyone confirm that anchoring as shown in the second video with an anchor buddy is the recommended way ?

Im not familiar with that system but was always taught not to have the stern to the anchor . A swell coming from the open sea will swamp the boat ? In vid No two..the stern is anchored to the open sea ..although I appreciate its a mill pond

Learning to Set and Retrieve an Anchor Is an Important Safe Boating Skill | Boating Safety

Just one of many links warning about stern anchoring.. but that is using a conventional rope..perhaps because the anchor buddy stretches..its ok ?
Old 18 October 2014, 11:45   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I agree with you. Bow to wind and sea

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2014, 11:59   #9

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Will it works against wind 4-6 BF and some waves ?
Idea is really great but if one man can stretch it what happens against wind ?
There is "normal" thermal wind in Greece called "Meltemi" and if you stay boat near beach (even 10m far from a beach) which is pebbles or stones usually maybe strong wind can stretch this line ?
Old 18 October 2014, 13:29   #10

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Can anyone confirm that anchoring as shown in the second video with an anchor buddy is the recommended way?
I may be in the minority, but having owned and used an Anchor Buddy, along with seeing them used many times, there is no way today I would use one even on a lake. If they can stretch enough to reach shore...well then they can stretch enough to have your boat wind up on shore in a heavy wind. I have seen it almost happen to someone Else's boat, except we ran down and pushed their boat away from shore, then yelled at them.

The way I do it now is to use a larger pulley attached to a buoy, and pull the boat out to the anchored buoy, then pull it back to shore with a stern line. Of course if the shore isn't too step I just wheel up.

Depending on some help and what not, a few of those inflatable rollers would bring the RIB right up onto shore.

Here is one video of how things can go wrong. There is a better one of a sailboats RIB that flips on a beach in the tropics when the water goes from glass to breakers. Unfortunately I can't seem to hit the key words.

Found it! Watch from around 1:50 seconds on.

Tags
anchor, beach, mooring