Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 October 2014, 12:06   #1

Town: Phuket
Length: 4m +
Anchoring at this beach for an overnight stay?

Hi there!

I'm planning to stay for a few days at a nice resort owning their own "private" beach (the photosphere was taken by me during a previous stay).

The resort is "OK" with anchoring my boat there.

As stated in my other posts, I'm really new at boating/anchoring and somewhat inexperienced - or at best really unsure of myself!

How to safely anchor? Do I need a second anchor? As you can see on the photosphere, there's already a rope going from the beach to the water for their own "taxi boat"...

And please, don't laugh at me!
Old 18 October 2014, 14:03   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I certainly wouldn’t laugh Andaman ... We all learn off each other ..but I would be a liar to say I wasn’t envious of the stunning location .

I often stay overnight in remote places and have to think of what Im going to do with my boat.

Yours is just a small RIB ..so for peace of mind.. I think I would just beach it for the night. If possible..using the tide to leave it high and dry ..then refloat it in the morning. (Assuming tide times are suitable)

To anchor it..you will need to provide more information.. ie ..how you intend getting ashore if you anchor off shore. How tidal is the bay..is does it go out far.. how exposed to swell ... is the wind direction changeable etc.

If I anchor off a bay..I have chest waders to get ashore dry. I throw an anchor over the front of the boat into the water (You should always keep the bow into the waves..even just landing on a beach..jump out and turn the bow quickly into the waves..if you dont..one can come over the back and swamp your boat) Once the front anchor has caught on the bottom ... I will take another rope from the rear of the boat...as I wade ashore .. and tie it off on the beach. I always like a line tied to land. The sea anchor has a good lump of chain attached to the anchor..to absorb the shock of swell pulling on it. You also have to consider how deep the water will be when you want the boat back if using chest waders.

Beware.. Swell can displace the front anchor..so that is why I beach it if possible. If I have to leave it overnight in water..I would look for a very sheltered place..like a harbour or river mouth. Anchoring and leaving the boat overnight on an exposed beach is my last option.

Sea anchor over front in this photo..and also a rope from rear of boat ..tied onto the shore (a large rock)

Hope that helps you a little... others may add or offer other ideas...but these suggestions work for me.
Old 18 October 2014, 14:17   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Depends on how far the tide goes out etc, but I have one of these below works very well.

Origional "Anchor Buddy" 14 ' Streches to 50' 4000lb capacity Blue #AB4000-RB | eBay

If you search youtube you should find some good examples of how it is used.

HTH
Old 18 October 2014, 14:26   #4
RIBnet supporter

This vid gives you a good idea how to use it

Old 18 October 2014, 14:29   #5
RIBnet supporter

This also

Old 18 October 2014, 14:53   #6

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I also use an anchor buddy with my rib. Very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2014, 15:24   #7

Hey...interesting system..and its why I didn't laugh..I have learned something new too.

Can anyone confirm that anchoring as shown in the second video with an anchor buddy is the recommended way ?

Im not familiar with that system but was always taught not to have the stern to the anchor . A swell coming from the open sea will swamp the boat ? In vid No two..the stern is anchored to the open sea ..although I appreciate its a mill pond

Learning to Set and Retrieve an Anchor Is an Important Safe Boating Skill | Boating Safety

Just one of many links warning about stern anchoring.. but that is using a conventional rope..perhaps because the anchor buddy stretches..its ok ?
Old 18 October 2014, 15:45   #8

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I agree with you. Bow to wind and sea

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2014, 15:59   #9

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Will it works against wind 4-6 BF and some waves ?
Idea is really great but if one man can stretch it what happens against wind ?
There is "normal" thermal wind in Greece called "Meltemi" and if you stay boat near beach (even 10m far from a beach) which is pebbles or stones usually maybe strong wind can stretch this line ?
Old 18 October 2014, 17:29   #10

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Can anyone confirm that anchoring as shown in the second video with an anchor buddy is the recommended way?
I may be in the minority, but having owned and used an Anchor Buddy, along with seeing them used many times, there is no way today I would use one even on a lake. If they can stretch enough to reach shore...well then they can stretch enough to have your boat wind up on shore in a heavy wind. I have seen it almost happen to someone Else's boat, except we ran down and pushed their boat away from shore, then yelled at them.

The way I do it now is to use a larger pulley attached to a buoy, and pull the boat out to the anchored buoy, then pull it back to shore with a stern line. Of course if the shore isn't too step I just wheel up.

Depending on some help and what not, a few of those inflatable rollers would bring the RIB right up onto shore.

Here is one video of how things can go wrong. There is a better one of a sailboats RIB that flips on a beach in the tropics when the water goes from glass to breakers. Unfortunately I can't seem to hit the key words.

Found it! Watch from around 1:50 seconds on.

Old 18 October 2014, 17:47   #11

Hey.. great minds think alike Peter C...I was looking for that video too..the tropic sea one :-D

I was also going to add...

Thanks Jambo ..I suspected that Video was not a good example of securing a boat off a beach in an exposed bay ... and even if it was the way the boat buddy worked..it was worth pointing out to the OP that it is not a good practice to have the main anchor tied to the stern. It does look a good system if connecting the anchor and boat buddy to the bow though.

I cant comment of the boat buddy stretch in a wind MatfromPoland ..but I wouldn’t be too happy anchoring and leaving a boat 10 meters or so off an exposed rocky beach with F4-5 winds and swell .. even with a conventional anchor system unless I had no other option. The anchor dragging would be my worry.

If it was a regular spot that I was visiting..and the bay was sandy as in the OP,s photo ..I would prefer to put in my own mooring if at all possible. I do this when Im on holiday for a few nights. At the lowest tide .. I will sink a three foot galvanised iron screw into the sand .. Attach a lump of heavy chain ..then a rope to a buoy.

IMO Far more secure for a small boat than an anchor that I don’t know how well it has gripped the bed. No need for a rope to shore either as the boat will always point into wind and wave on its own.
But I need a small inflatable to get out to the boatwhen the tide is in. I also have to make sure that when the tide goes out..there are no nasty rocks within the radius on the mooring buoy ..in case the boat settles on them as the sea runs out.
Old 18 October 2014, 21:48   #12
RIBnet supporter

An alternative to the Anchor Buddy.

Beech Buddy
Old 18 October 2014, 22:41   #13

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Duh! I just realized the OP is in Phuket...anchor the boat offshore with conventional ground tackle then swim in wearing your shorts Water is warm enjoy the swim. It is actually what we do on the California coast but we wear a drysuit and fins.

This is pretty much how I do it too, as shown in the post above.

Old 19 October 2014, 05:21   #14

Quote:
Yours is just a small RIB ..so for peace of mind.. I think I would just beach it for the night. If possible..using the tide to leave it high and dry ..then refloat it in the morning. (Assuming tide times are suitable)
I doubt the resort would let me beach it. Moreover, it would require 4-6 man to beach it IMO. And I'm so afraid of scratching the gelcoat.

Quote:
To anchor it..you will need to provide more information.. ie ..how you intend getting ashore if you anchor off shore. How tidal is the bay..is does it go out far.. how exposed to swell ... is the wind direction changeable etc.
The water is warm and not so deep, we can get ashore by water

Quote:
... I will take another rope from the rear of the boat...as I wade ashore .. and tie it off on the beach. I always like a line tied to land. The sea anchor has a good lump of chain attached to the anchor..to absorb the shock of swell pulling on it. You also have to consider how deep the water will be when you want the boat back if using chest waders.
You're confirming my first thoughts. I strongly need a long rope to attach to the beach.

In that precise case, do you think I can attach to the (already installed) rope going from the beach to the water? How?
Old 19 October 2014, 05:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post

Beech Buddy
I used the same technique in front of renting apartments in Greece.
But owner dived barrel filled with cement ... There is a chain between this barrel and buoy.

Another vote for anchor attached to bow.
Below mentioned my inflatable (anchor on the back, 10kg, rope 11m, deep 2m)
and rope between bow and rocks on the beach.

I have made 2 mistakes.
1. Anchor attached to transom (but it seems to be natural when beaching)
2. rope stretched between bow and rocks (you need to have some rubber or leave slack)
So you have a picture before:
Before:

Meltemi has started and first waves caused water flows over transom and one of the biggest (1m) wave lift boat up and put it gently in the center of the beach:

It is inflatable and I have transom wheels so after 2 hrs when wind calms it was not a problem to drag boat to Sea and continue trip.
I have used below mentioned anchor (rubber anchor for inflatables 2x5kg)

In 2015 I will use RIB HIGHFIELD OM540DL and have headache "how to anchor near wild beach". Beaches are mostly pebbles in Greece.
Old 19 October 2014, 06:47   #16

I have learned some things after this:

1. Use shock-absorber/damper or elastic line for anchor and moor ropes.
2. Anchor on bow
3. Rope length for anchor have to be 6 x depth (this rule you can find on tests for motor boat licence in Poland 5 - 6 x depth)

Both items can helps boat flows over waves and do not lift anchor.

3. Avoid open bays or exposed on wind/waves.

Sometimes it is really hard when you find fantastic place without people not to stay and snorkel :

4. Always Anchor and moor together (please remember about my case and use some rubber or very elastic line like like LIROS MOOREX or LIROS PORTO). I saw rubber dampers on moor line but I wonder if rubber can be exposed to salt water.
Old 19 October 2014, 08:40   #17

I never tried to beach my RIB yet, but how many guys should we be to do so?
Old 19 October 2014, 08:55   #18

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Mat you need to add some chain to your anchore to keep the line down on the sea bed, this will then do the job of the dampening the anchore line
5 metres for your new rib and a Bruce type anchor of 5kg would give you some thing that is not going any ware 5 x water depth if leaving over night, but for a beach stop 3 X water depth will be plenty.
Stern line to beach works well but remember to either mark it or weight it down so not to cheese off other boaters!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2014, 08:59   #19

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post

Beech Buddy
This is just a running morring which works well I have used it before but it is a right faff and with tide going in or out you need a lot of rope + again the rope needs to sink out of other boats props!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2014, 09:04   #20

@Nick - many thanks. I have planed to buy Bruce type of anchor. Many people in Croatia found it as perfect solution. I was thinking about chain - many thanks for explanation why I need it. You have solved all my concerns in one post

@andaman - perfect configuration: 2 persons. Skipper seat in front of console and one crew member put anchor to water.

I did it in SIB alone but I keep anchor near me:
1. turn back to beach
2. put anchor to water (gently)
3. go back to beach
4. turn off, tilt engine (remember to have always kill kord and not lose it)
5. jump to water and go to tight rope to beach

It is what I did on SIB full of kids. On RIB be better to have some help (one person at least)

Tags
anchor, beach, mooring