Old 23 August 2007, 19:19   #1

Length: 3m +
anchoring and fixings?

Hi Guys,

never anchored my RIB before, was looking at buying 5m of 8mm chain, 15-20m of 14mm nylon rope and attatch it to a short lead line on the d ring on the bow. The anchor i was planning on using was a delta or bruce.

Thing is im terrible with knots so was considering trying to use hooks with nuts (eg: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-8-MM-316-G...QQcmdZViewItem

Obiovusly these will still need to be tied together so how can i best do this??? (eg the rope to bow, anchor rope to bow rope, anchor rope to chain, then chain to anchor! Can i use the Caribina between each fixing as well?) Are their any fittings i can buy to avoid all this knotting - i can see my RIB floating off due to poor connections!

thanks!
Old 23 August 2007, 20:00   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Sammy,

I'm absolutely useless with knots as well.

I've learnt how to do one without thinking that seems to do most jobs. As you realise they are difficult to learn so just start with one and then learn another later.

I think its time I learnt another one this weekend.

Certainly don't think your the only one with a boat that can't tie knots.

Nick R.
Old 23 August 2007, 20:13   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
What size RIB is it? You should have more than 1 anchor if its a big boat. I would go for longer rope as well. I would use a small Bruce as a picnic anchor and a Delta with chain for emergency if you have room for them.

As to knots I am useless as well - I just tie a loop in the end of the rope and use a normal shackle to connect to the chain. I also use a shackle to connect the chain to the anchor. I have "moused" the emergency anchor but don't bother with the working one. Just do it up really tight with an adjustable spanner.
Old 23 August 2007, 20:20   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
This might be useful to you guys

I use Karabiners for tying up for ease of use solo but not those ones with eyes-in my experience they fray the rope. I don't trust the eyes very much either.

The only knots I use regularly are the bowline, round turn and 2 half hitches, the reef knot,figure 8 and the dolly knot (which is awfully good for tying tarps down and boats to trailers if the ratchet fails.

My next task is to learn to splice.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2007, 20:26   #5
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
What size RIB is it? You should have more than 1 anchor if its a big boat. I would go for longer rope as well. I would use a small Bruce as a picnic anchor and a Delta with chain for emergency if you have room for them.

As to knots I am useless as well - I just tie a loop in the end of the rope and use a normal shackle to connect to the chain. I also use a shackle to connect the chain to the anchor. I have "moused" the emergency anchor but don't bother with the working one. Just do it up really tight with an adjustable spanner.

I use a grapnel for beach anchoring as I can bury it with only 2 prongs out and it won't spear anyone if they fall on it. They actually hold quite well when buried 6" down on a beach and they do hold quite well on rocky ground if you need them to.
My main anchor is actually quite small but holds really well-it's a 2kg Danforth with 5m of chain and 35m of rope.

Old 23 August 2007, 20:57   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Before I got the new RIB, used to secure the rode using a butterfly knot (useful when you need a loop that can be tied quickly and untied after it takes a load.)

See if I can do this without pictures:

Take the line, and twisting it, form a loop (bight) slightly larger than you need the eye to be. Twist it again, so it crosses itself twice. Now, take the bight, and feed it over the two crossings, and back through the "eye" that the two crossings form. Pull on the bight to tighten.

To loosen, take the two "wings", and force them down along the running parts and the whole thing will open up.

Use a large carabiner (preferably a locking one; standard gates can open up when you least expect it), or better yet, two of them to secure the eye to the boat.

BTW, I had 200' of rode, for temporary anchorages in up to about 100' of water. Dicey on rough days. Now have 400', for temp anchoring up to about 150'.

jky
Old 23 August 2007, 22:32   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I brought a small book a couple of years ago that shows lots of knots and how to splice various types of rope.

Its very satisfying to splice your first eye in the end of a bit of Braid on braid.

Mind you, I still need to refer to the book each time I do it.

Nasher
Old 23 August 2007, 23:45   #8

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
Connecting ground tackle to boat.

Wha?

Put key in ignition, turn clockwise, listen for roar and go!

Get boatyard to deal with ground tackle. You're on your own after the roar part. I'm at a safe distance...

Tomas
Old 24 August 2007, 02:04   #9

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Get boatyard to deal with ground tackle. You're on your own after the roar part. I'm at a safe distance...
Tomas
Me Bad...Sorry

What I should have said: A continuing interest in seamanship is at the core of safe and pleasurable boating. Rigging an anchor line is basic to that skill set given the consequence of having the boat and anchor go their separate directions.

The cost of "Chapman's Nautical Guide, Knots" a comprehensive "how to" for knots and rigging, is less than 20USD. It is widely available from online book sellers. (See Shackle Splice Page 91 and Chain Splice Page 102)

The satisfaction of being armed with basic skills is half the pleasure of going to sea to say nothing of the greater liklihood of coming back alive! Weather reading, Navigation and Rigging skills are the holy trinity. You are headed in the right direction looking for advice.
Old 24 August 2007, 02:20   #10

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Try this it is free
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexbo...matedknots.com
Old 24 August 2007, 02:28   #11

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Animated knots

Try this site - I think it might have been been posted before. I find it easier to follow than books.

http://www.animatedknots.com/

JKY, Is this the knot you've described? A new one for me, and looks an excellent knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/
Old 24 August 2007, 02:30   #12

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Hi Limey, posted while I typed. I meant it has been posted a while ago, not 10 seconds ago!
Old 24 August 2007, 18:16   #13
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post

I beat both of you to it

Old 24 August 2007, 20:44   #14
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyGardens View Post
...never anchored my RIB before, was looking at buying 5m of 8mm chain, 15-20m of 14mm nylon rope and attatch it to a short lead line on the d ring on the bow. The anchor i was planning on using was a delta or bruce...
The minimum suggested by the MCGA is 10m chain and 30m line - which is what I've got, and occasionally I could do with some more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyGardens View Post
Thing is im terrible with knots so was considering trying to use hooks with nuts...
Dude - not on your own at all!! Decide on the lengths of line/warp you want, find a website that shows you how to do an eye splice - and sit down and do it all in an evening!! That way you can securely link your lines/warps to a carabiner and not worry about it.

Do a search on here on 'rope' & 'splice' - and you'll probably find the thread I started about 3 years ago on the same subject - and the websites that are suggested are brilliant. Pictures and everything. Not as complicated as you might think.

On my mooring, everything is secured with carabiners - main and safety lines.

HOWEVER - you'll need to learn some knots to shorten the anchor line when you are out and about!! I tie my painter to my anchor line to secure the boat when at anchor (with the end of the anchor line secure incase my knot falls apart) - I use a double sheetbend for temporary stuff, and a bowline for longer stuff. To date - I have kept posession of my boat!!

Hope this helps!!

D...
Old 26 August 2007, 11:42   #15

wow thanks for the great responses guys, really has been invaluable so thanks for all your inputs!

Armed with animatedknots, and the info provided here i will be ordering the rigging and learning some knotting skills!

It seems the splice is a very popular one, would this be a suitable choice for most (all) of my rigging (as i plan to use detacable fixings such as caribanas/shackles for quick link ups). As you say DGR i'll learn some extra ones for temporary riggings...

thanks again guys!