Old 24 May 2007, 10:17   #1

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
anchor weight and chain length

Hi all,

I have a humber 5.3 with a 90hp. I never anchor in more than 2m of water (usually sand / pebble bottom). What would be the optimum anchor style, weight and chain length taking into account limited deck space?

thanks........

Old 24 May 2007, 12:37   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
For safety's sake as big as possible and as much chain as possible. The hobby fishing guys use the length of the boat in chain.

You might need it to hold you still after an engine failure so 'optimum' isn't an option-it should be heaviest practical to stow.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2007, 16:13   #3

Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Anchor weight, rope length etc

If it is all chain, it's recommended to have at least 4 times the max depth of water you'll encounter.

If it's a mixture of rope and chain, it's recommended to have at least six times the max depth.

E.G. With 30m of mixed chain/ line, you could conceivably anchor in 5m of water...

The more length of scope you let out, the more the shock absorbing effect.

The 'bruce' anchor is a good type, with good holding in mixed conditions

For the size of boat you're talking about, you'd probably find a 5kg or slightly bigger would be ok.

I don't know what size of lockers you've got aboard, but it is a good idea to keep the anchor/line combination in some sort of dry bag, and I've packed this with an old camping mat, to stop the thing damaging the inside of the anchor locker when going over waves.

Cheers
Old 24 May 2007, 16:58   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Depends why you want to anchor. If it's just for a spot of fishing or having a picnic then a 5kg Bruce with just rope will be fine.

If your engine cuts and you want to ride out a gale then you need some heavy chain and a bigger anchor - i carry 2 for this reason.

A good compromise would be a 6kg Delta. It has about as much holding power as a 10kg Bruce from what they say. The original one is quite expensive but the copy works just as well.

http://www.boatgeardirect.co.uk/id14.html
Old 24 May 2007, 18:23   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Danforth type anchor works very well in sand/shingle, but they're an awkward shape and difficult to store if you have a small locker hatch. They also have a tendency to jam your fingers, after which, you'll probably swap it for a Bruce
If you're only in 2m max of water and it's only for short stops while you're aboard, a folding grapnel with a 2-3 metres of 6mm chain should do the job - really easy to store in small lockers
Old 24 May 2007, 19:48   #6

Folding grapnels are great for kelp or rock but not much else. i was horrified to discover I could easily pull my 7.5kg grapnel through the sand with one hand!!!
Old 25 May 2007, 02:37   #7

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Personally I use a 15kg CQR style for my 5.4 SR. then I have 4m of chain and 40m of rope.

Never had drag problems on any bottom.

Ian
Old 25 May 2007, 04:24   #8

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopic View Post
I have a humber 5.3 with a 90hp. I never anchor in more than 2m of water (usually sand / pebble bottom).
Hi,

I have some 6mm chain coming back from a guy who is upgrading to 8mm, if you would like a deal on some let me know?

As for hooks, the folding type are really only good as a backup - as has been said they drag through anything other then heavy week or craggy rocks. When it comes to weight remember that an anchor is a machine not a leaden lump - if you get a good design you will be fine with something like a 7.5kg; the key really is to use ample chain/rope.

Mind you, when it comes to anchors there is one opinion for every pebble on the beach.
Old 25 May 2007, 07:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
Personally I use a 15kg CQR style for my 5.4 SR. then I have 4m of chain and 40m of rope.

Never had drag problems on any bottom.

Ian
I am not suprised. That combination is fine for a 35ft ketch!!!
Old 25 May 2007, 08:55   #10

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopic View Post
Hi all,

I have a humber 5.3 with a 90hp. I never anchor in more than 2m of water (usually sand / pebble bottom). What would be the optimum anchor style, weight and chain length taking into account limited deck space?

thanks........
5.3 Destroyer, 90hp. I have the optional 'raised bow locker' with hatch. I have a 6kg (I think) Delta, 5m 8mm chain, 5m 6mm chain, 20m 14mm anchorplait. Also have 20m 16mm anchorplait aboard in case I need more.

The main rode stows easily in the locker with the chain and anchor sitting on top of the rope as a cushion. I think the extra 20m would just about fit in also.

I do a lot of anchoring, spend much time ashore sometimes with the boat out of sight and a bit exposed, so I like to be sure. The 10m of chain plus the anchor is about as much as I can comfortably manage to pull up vertically (i.e. from 10m depth).

The Delta is easy to handle and stow and has excellent performance, holding really well even before I added the extra 8mm chain.