Old 26 June 2010, 09:59   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Anchor warp

Looking at the minor bits n' pieces for the new barge ... apparently it now has the bouncy bits around the outside though I am still waiting for a photo.

Mooring lines are easy but is there any reason why I should not use normal 3 strand white nylon for anchor warp? I'll need to source an anchor and some chain + warp, I can easily source 10mm 3 strand white nylon at a good price, which I figure should be ok? It may not be quite as easy to handle as octoplait but the cost of that seems a bit silly, I don't know anywhere that sells it locally, and I only use it once in a blue moon anyway, it's mainly 'just in case' - I think I anchored about 3 or 4 times in four years with the Humber as you don't exactly hop in and go snorkelling in these waters.

Also I'm not sure how big the anchor locker is on a Vipermax - anybody know offhand roughly how much rope/chain will fit in a 5.8m's anchor locker? If it will fit I was looking at getting about 50m of rope and maybe 6m of chain plus the biggest anchor that will fit through the hatch (which doesn't look like it will be very big) - any practical suggestions or hatch dimensions would be great

Possibly a silly question - but how / where does a Vipermax anchor locker drain out? If you put a wet rope in there sooner or later you will end up with a puddle in the bottom, and I hadn't thought about it until a moment ago but there is no drain bung...?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2010, 13:48   #2

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I have a 6.8m Ribcraft and use a 9kg CQR anchor with 15m of 8mm chain and 50m of three-ply 12mm rope.
Old 26 June 2010, 21:42   #3

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
on my shakey hull the anchor locker drains down through a pipe that exits the hull about 3ft back from the anchor locker and is covered by a kind of half clamshell stainless type thing that would let water out when underway, i suspect yours may be similar.
Old 26 June 2010, 22:14   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
50 metres of rope, 6m of chain not a problem. If you go for a plough (CQR) the folding arm will allow a fair size anchor to go through into the locker.

With regards to rope choice, I find that a proper warp wont end up in a knotted up mess like normal rope.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2010, 07:29   #5

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
My only thought is that 10 mm is quite narrow to grab onto when recovering the anchour. Hence I went for 12mm 3 ply.

Ian
Old 27 June 2010, 10:59   #6

Town: Fareham
50 meters of warp won't be a problem, I reckon you'll get away with a 5 kg plough anchor, I use a fixed one and it just goes into the locker, but I would suggest a hinged one as Chris suggests as it'll guarantee to fit.

As for a drain hole....You'll have to fit one yourself as it's completely sealed. I put a bung in the rear but have never needed to use it yet to drain water.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2010, 11:47   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
3 ply should be ok for normal overnight anchoring but if you are going to anchor up for long periods or days on end at the same place and the boat swings or moves around with the tide it can start to unravel the twist and then cause tangles even with swivels fitted .
Old 27 June 2010, 12:09   #8

Thanks all

I would not risk leaving it anchored overnight as the only insurance policy I can get here will not cover boats under 8 metres left unattended at anchor or on a mooring, but even if it did the wind can get up so quickly here that I still wouldn't risk it. It's just for the odd hour here or there and just in a few metres of water, and emergency use.

I might just ask Roy to get the biggest anchor that will fit in the locker and ship it in the boat, and then sort out the rope and chain when I get it here. Choices available in our shop are 10mm and 24mm and I think the 24mm might be overkill

Old 28 June 2010, 10:24   #9

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Why not ask Roy to get the rope you would like and drop that in the locker as well. IBS from Falmouth did this for me when I bought my boat from them and had it shipped to the Scillies (admittedly a slightly shorter journey than your boat faces but the same principle).

Ian
Old 28 June 2010, 21:58   #10

Yeah I could do, just a bit wary about too many mobile items on the boat to go walkies on the long journey down or more accurately while it's sitting about at each end.

Old 28 June 2010, 22:02   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
. IBS from Falmouth
Ian
No longer in existance. pm for any further info.
Old 29 June 2010, 15:32   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Mooring lines are easy but is there any reason why I should not use normal 3 strand white nylon for anchor warp?
Nope.

Quote:
I'll need to source an anchor and some chain + warp, I can easily source 10mm 3 strand white nylon at a good price, which I figure should be ok? It may not be quite as easy to handle as octoplait but the cost of that seems a bit silly
Should work fine. Substantially cheaper as well. Easy to splice, easy to find, and easy on the pocketbook.

10mm is a tad over 3/8, so should be good to about, oh, 6m or so. If you go much larger on rope, you sort of negate the stretch factor, and get a lot of jerk and snatch when anchored in swell. Makes it kind of rough on deck hardware. 3/8 isn't that hard on hands when retrieving the hook.

jky