Old 22 March 2007, 11:33   #1

Town: Uphall
Boat name: Iona
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235053483
Anchor - type and size

Might have been covered before .... but ...

I got a 2kg bruce anchor with my rib (Zodiac Pro open 550) which to my mind is too small for anything apart from a temporary hold. So i intend to buy a bigger item so I can moor safely when neceesary, and keep the smaller one on board for emergencies, when the larger one is in use.
I was thinking of a 5kg bruce. Would this be sufficient?
Old 22 March 2007, 14:04   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A 5kg would be fine but remember to use some chain as well.

You might wish to look at the Delta anchor - basically it's a CQR with a welded shank - no pivot. Only problem with the Delta is the cost but there is a solution.

This company sells the Delta and they have just started importing a copy which is a 1/3 the price. Doesn't look as good but will work the same.

http://www.boatgeardirect.co.uk/id14.html
Old 22 March 2007, 18:06   #3

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Has any one tried the folding grappling anchors? If so what are your thoughts for holding power and suitability for a 6.5M.
Old 22 March 2007, 18:14   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Do not waste your time and money. They are not anchors just hooks. However, I used to use one to stern anchor off a beach, but you have to dig a hole and bury it to make it work. Small and handy, as a back up, but no good for proper anchoring.
Old 22 March 2007, 18:50   #5

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Do not waste your time and money. ....
....except on rocks and wrecks... they hold just fine then.. but recovering them can be a tad tricky.. even with a tripping line.
Old 22 March 2007, 18:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie144 View Post
Has any one tried the folding grappling anchors? If so what are your thoughts for holding power and suitability for a 6.5M.
In sand I can drag my 10lb folding anchor with ONE hand - really suprised just how bad it is - having said that though it will hold the RIB for fishing etc in reasonable conditions. As Jono says on rock etc they can grip VERY well and they are also good in kelp etc. To be honest I would stay away from them. The Delta looks the best all rounder to me.
Old 22 March 2007, 20:24   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Codprawn - What anchor do you use in the Burry Inlet?
Old 22 March 2007, 21:39   #8

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
I like the look of these http://www.hydrobubble.com/ , never tried one but they came top in sailing boat magazine test a while back.

Tim
Old 22 March 2007, 22:16   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Do not waste your time and money. They are not anchors just hooks.
I've always used them, and not had any problems.

There are certainly better anchors available, but they're easy to stow and for occasional use they are OK. If you do get one though, make sure you use plenty of chain (I used 10m which did the job).

John
Old 22 March 2007, 23:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Codprawn - What anchor do you use in the Burry Inlet?
I use a folding grapnel for everyday use with just rope but it is next to useless - except off Worms head where it's rocky.

For emergency use I currently have a large danforth with heavy chain. That will soon change as I just bought a GENUINE unused Bruce anchor - 7.5kgs for £26 - quite a bargain.

I will prob use the danforth with just rope for every day use now. Then again I could probably use some sort of pole and just stick it in the ground!!!

Have you seen they are actually starting dredging this week - something to do with the fact the harbour is almost unusable unless you have a hovercraft.....
Old 22 March 2007, 23:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I've always used them, and not had any problems.

There are certainly better anchors available, but they're easy to stow and for occasional use they are OK. If you do get one though, make sure you use plenty of chain (I used 10m which did the job).

John
I don't think the chain will help much(except for some extra drag) - the purpose of the chain is to keep the pull horizontal - I tried it at low tide on the beach and the anchor was SO easy to drag - only 1 fluke ever sticks in the sand - try it - it's scary!!!
Old 23 March 2007, 00:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I use a folding grapnel for everyday use with just rope but it is next to useless - except off Worms head where it's rocky.
I've always used a 5kg grapnel & 5m chain with no problems on sand and rock. Bought a 5kg Bruce (copy) last summer and first time I used it, it grabbed a bunch of kelp and dragged like hell. It's been fine otherwise

Quote:

For emergency use I currently have a large danforth with heavy chain. That will soon change as I just bought a GENUINE unused Bruce anchor - 7.5kgs for £26 - quite a bargain.

I will prob use the danforth with just rope for every day use now. Then again I could probably use some sort of pole and just stick it in the ground!!!
Danforth seems to be the anchor of choice with local fishermen - ok if you've got space to store one.

Quote:
Have you seen they are actually starting dredging this week - something to do with the fact the harbour is almost unusable unless you have a hovercraft.....
The harbour entrance has really changed over the last few years. That used to be flat mud out there - it's like a big sand dune now! Due to lack of 'flush out' from the harbour to clear all the sand away.
Old 23 March 2007, 00:12   #13

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
The purpose of the anchour is to hold the chain and teh purpose of the chain is to take up th eslack whilst riding at anchour and thus it is the chain that does more work than the anchour.
If you are relying on the anchour to hold the boat and letting a mooring line go taught, the wave action on yanking teh boat will either break teh mooring line by snapping or else jerk the anchour causing "crabbing" of anchour to leeward.
With regard to Yachts which have more of a TUG jerk on the line due to weight and windage, the general rule when flaking out anchour chain is 3-5 times max depth (including Tide please). I would be inclined to leave 5, anymore than this is possibly being unkind to other neighbours.
Obviously one uses their common sense which is all to uncommon.
You do not do this under impending gale as you couldnt leave enough, you would need to find sheltered anchourage or in the case of bigger boats, head out to sea and ride it out.
In any event, there has been much written and more to come about this aspect of seamanship. Finally, ones choice of anchour depends very much on the type of floor. most boats shold accomodate for Sand and Rock (two different anchours, not at the same time). changing just the anchour with a maused or non loosening shackle. Aways have plenty of chain. It makes great ballast also and can be moved to suit boat ballast when required.
Finally, if using a collapsing anchour or grapnel type, do be careful when burying in sand that Barbs are not going to expose to people. It does not take but a small wave to wash one free or exposed.
The Sand plough (a small one with)"your same chain" is most useful for many of these uses.

Thats my lot (my experience is more to do with yachting than ribbing)
Old 23 March 2007, 00:33   #14

Who wrote that for you?
Or, have you had your spell-check repaired?