Old 30 June 2019, 19:35   #1

Length: under 3m
Anchor recommendation pls

Hi All,

About to launch our RedBay Stormforce 7.4 (250 Suzuki) for her second summer in Co. Galway. What little anchoring we do, is off fine sand beaches (with rock & heavy weed). Last year, the supplied grapnel tended to drag around on the weed. So, looking to upgrade.

Welcome thoughts on the best anchor & chain (type & size).

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9237.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	129907
Old 30 June 2019, 20:33   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have a 7.5kg CQR plough anchor with 6m of 10mm pump chain & 30m of 12mm anchor plait. Way over spec for what I need, but it’s served me well over 4 boats. Plenty of chain is the key. If I was buying the same again, the only thing I’d change is the chain, probably go for 8m of 8mm. The only reason I have the daft heavy pump chain is it was spare off a job & “laying around”[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 21:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have a 7.5kg CQR plough anchor with 6m of 10mm pump chain & 30m of 12mm anchor plait. Way over spec for what I need, but it’s served me well over 4 boats. Plenty of chain is the key. If I was buying the same again, the only thing I’d change is the chain, probably go for 8m of 8mm. The only reason I have the daft heavy pump chain is it was spare off a job & “laying around”[emoji6]

Thanks Dave. How do you find storing it and lifting over the tunes?
P
Old 30 June 2019, 21:12   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Have been impressed with my Bruce anchor in a range of seabed’s from sand/mud to shingle chain is key to getting it set right.

Not sure how heavy you would need for a 7.4m

https://www.marinescene.co.uk/manufa...bruce-anchors/

5kg might not be up to the job 7.5kg May be overkill sure they don galv ones as well if stainless is OTT

https://www.marinescene.co.uk/produc...hor-galvanised
Old 30 June 2019, 21:16   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb33 View Post
Thanks Dave. How do you find storing it and lifting over the tunes?
P

It stores in the anchor locker ok, I put some rubber matting in the bottom to protect the hull from the anchor when it gets rough. I have reinforcement around the tubes at the bow so not a problem. You could have a mat that lays over the tubes to protect them when pulling the anchor up.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 30 June 2019, 21:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It stores in the anchor locker ok, I put some rubber matting in the bottom to protect the hull from the anchor when it gets rough. I have reinforcement around the tubes at the bow so not a problem. You could have a mat that lays over the tubes to protect them when pulling the anchor up.

Thanks Dave. Year 2: still learning [emoji849]
Old 30 June 2019, 21:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Have been impressed with my Bruce anchor in a range of seabed’s from sand/mud to shingle chain is key to getting it set right.

Not sure how heavy you would need for a 7.4m

https://www.marinescene.co.uk/manufa...bruce-anchors/

5kg might not be up to the job 7.5kg May be overkill sure they don galv ones as well if stainless is OTT

https://www.marinescene.co.uk/produc...hor-galvanised

Thanks [emoji120]
Old 30 June 2019, 21:40   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
So...

I carry a 10kg CQR and a 7.5kg Grapnel (c/w sh1t loada chains and many meters of warp)

but for your application I'm going to suggest you try a 5kg Bruce style (you can't buy an Original) with 10m of decent chain and whatever warp you fancy (can't beat P-D's plait).

The only anchor I actually regularly use is the one from my SIB, a 2.5kg Bruce knockoff on 12m of 8mm warp and some 4m of light chain. I use it to hold the 10m, 2.75t RIB during lunch breaks and photo sessions when over sand and mud in currents and waves. Bizarrely it hasn't let go yet....
Old 30 June 2019, 21:54   #9

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
One thing to think about is how you are going to store the anchor. Make sure the anchor dimensions fit in your anchor locker.

Jimmy Green Marine has a good selection of anchors to browse at.
Old 30 June 2019, 21:56   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Paul,

Whilst you plan to only anchor on nice sandy beaches, what happens if the boat breaks down and you are being swept towards a cliff?

There are a whole series of modern anchors which will out perform the likes of the CQR / Bruce, which are mostly copies etc. Whilst we have a yacht now the risk is just the same, although we could perhaps sail out to sea.

Storage needs thinking about and of course budget comes into play. So the new generation anchors available in the UK are likely to be:

Spade
Rocna
Manson Supreme
Mantus
Fortress
Kobra 2

The Spade, Mantus and Fortress will dismantle with the help of a spanner. After selling Old Spice which used a genuine Bruce and second Fortress we bought the yacht. On the yacht we ditched the CQR copy as rubbish and bought a Delta 10kg. That was upgraded to a 10kg Rocna 5 years ago. We also carry a FX16 spare anchor because it can be disassembled. Each manufacturer gives sizes for boat length but the Rocna website goes on to explain why and covers chain length. Whilst clearly biased to yachts and power boats carrying one good anchor and chain rope would be good advice. If you then chose a second smaller anchor to walk ashore and dig into the beach fine, but please carry one good anchor.

Steve (SV Panope) over on Crusiers Forum has done a huge amount of testing for no commercial benefit so worth watching his videos.

Old 30 June 2019, 22:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Paul,

Whilst you plan to only anchor on nice sandy beaches, what happens if the boat breaks down and you are being swept towards a cliff?

There are a whole series of modern anchors which will out perform the likes of the CQR / Bruce, which are mostly copies etc. Whilst we have a yacht now the risk is just the same, although we could perhaps sail out to sea.

Storage needs thinking about and of course budget comes into play. So the new generation anchors available in the UK are likely to be:

Spade
Rocna
Manson Supreme
Mantus
Fortress
Kobra 2

The Spade, Mantus and Fortress will dismantle with the help of a spanner. After selling Old Spice which used a genuine Bruce and second Fortress we bought the yacht. On the yacht we ditched the CQR copy as rubbish and bought a Delta 10kg. That was upgraded to a 10kg Rocna 5 years ago. We also carry a FX16 spare anchor because it can be disassembled. Each manufacturer gives sizes for boat length but the Rocna website goes on to explain why and covers chain length. Whilst clearly biased to yachts and power boats carrying one good anchor and chain rope would be good advice. If you then chose a second smaller anchor to walk ashore and dig into the beach fine, but please carry one good anchor.

Steve (SV Panope) over on Crusiers Forum has done a huge amount of testing for no commercial benefit so worth watching his videos.

Thanks Pete. Great advice. Inherent in my post, but not stated, was its ability to hold in a safety situation. In this respect, I’m guessing most you quoted will be superior to the weedy grapnel I’m currently carrying. Will research your suggestions throughly. [emoji108]
Old 01 July 2019, 05:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
One thing to think about is how you are going to store the anchor. Make sure the anchor dimensions fit in your locker.

Thanks, Guy. Yes: been worrying about that. The small grapnel is already tight in the bow locker.
Old 01 July 2019, 07:02   #13

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Yes, sorry - I've re-read the posts and you've already asked PD about storage.
Old 01 July 2019, 07:59   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Paul,

But a 7m open RIB and a Yacht are not the same Pete7, and the circumstances of their use are generally different too. The OP wants an upgrade from a grapnel for beach mooring a RIB, not a storm anchor for a heavy displacement vessel. Anything is better than a grapnel and it needs to be something he can easily store and deploy. You'll remember from your past that RIBbers, despite the knife in the teeth publicity, tend to put to sea in light breezes and avoid the stuff that yachties thrive on.
Old 01 July 2019, 08:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
But a 7m open RIB and a Yacht are not the same Pete7, and the circumstances of their use are generally different too. The OP wants an upgrade from a grapnel for beach mooring a RIB, not a storm anchor for a heavy displacement vessel. Anything is better than a grapnel and it needs to be something he can easily store and deploy. You'll remember from your past that RIBbers, despite the knife in the teeth publicity, tend to put to sea in light breezes and avoid the stuff that yachties thrive on.

Thanks Will. I see both sides. I’m putting to sea in only the lightest of breezes. But it’s the Atlantic and with my kids. So, it needs to be up to the job of holding us if I (as a newbie d*ck...) discharge the battery while fishing (etc.). As you say, I need to be able to easily and safely deploy to beach and apply the sunscreen.

Thanks for your guidance - really appreciate it!
Old 01 July 2019, 08:07   #16

RIBase
As a very general rule. 1kg of anchor + 1m of chain/metre of RIB.
Old 01 July 2019, 08:08   #17

Anchor recommendation pls

Anyone used the Fortress Anchor FX11? Like the fact that it’s lightweight aluminium and folds down. Seems good value.
Old 01 July 2019, 08:45   #18

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Well, I politely disagree and here is why. Your rib is the same length as my yacht and I bet the weight isn't that much different, we weigh 5000kgs. Both could be subjected to the same sort of incident which requires you to anchor in less than ideal conditions perhaps until help arrives.

Your's and Paul's 7.4m rib are quite capable of long distance cruising and are hopefully properly equipped. It might not even be your boat that needs help, but a fellow rib owner or even a yacht I note he is also operating in Co Galway, that's quite an exposed coast.

The big problem "safety" is difficult to sell, though Ribnet over the years has done a stunning job of encouraging folk to wear lifejackets and carry VHFs etc even in good conditions so the forum should have a gold star for this.

How much is a 7.4m rib worth these days, north of £20k. Is it worth £200 for a good anchor and rope/chain rode. That is for the owner to decide, but it's a one off purchase that will last the life time of the rib.

Paul, the FX11 will be an excellent choice as its light and dismantles. Add some 6mm chain and the remainder of the rode in rope. Fortress give the details but you will need at least 5:1 ratio of rode to depth, this is really important. Oh and please do go and practice using it.

https://fortressanchors.com/resource...choring-guide/

Plan on using the ribs painter to connect to the anchor rode rather than run a rope or chain over the tubes, which is horrible. It also seems to allow the rib to ride to waves better rather than over the top of the tubes set up.

Pete
Old 01 July 2019, 09:24   #19

Town: always under way
It slightly depends on whether this is for lunch stops or more permanent anchoring for a longer run ashore. If you're just running the anchor up the beach in wading depths then you can get away with a lot less.

I've just put a 7.5Kg Bruce into a heavy 7.8m boat with 12m of 8mm chain, on 60m of 14mm 8 plait.

I also carry a 7.5Kg folding grapnel kedge on 12m of 6mm chain and 40m of 10mm 3 plait line. This line can then be tied to your main in emergencies (doubled up?).

The usual rule of thumb is 8:1 ratio of water depth to anchor rode. So I'm thinking 8m of water with a max fall of tide of 5m gives me 3m under the keel. 8m water = 64m of rode with decent amounts of chain.

If you want more weight on an anchoring setup you can run a weighted traveller down the rode on another line. A lead dive belt run through a fat bit of smooth plastic pipe should travel down even when it gets to the chain. The extra weight will keep the chain angle closer to the seabed thus helping 'bite' and pull angles PLUS providing more damping for the whole rode.

I've lost a number of grapnels over the years but if nothing else they are passenger friendly if deck stowed because they fold the sharp bits up! Also, the kedge is really only to stop swing in narrow zawns or geo's. I'll cry more about the chain than the anchor if I lose this one too................
Old 01 July 2019, 13:14   #20

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
I bet the weight isn't that much different, we weigh 5000kgs.
What sort of RIB you are talking about ?
My 8.6m diesel RIB does not even weight half what you mention .