Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 24 May 2008, 18:09   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 45
anchor points?

Hi, thankfully managed to secure fore and aft mooring points for my little 3.8m Zodiac Futura SIB whilst on holiday.

At the bow I'm going to use a short painter line spliced to D-Ring, a caribina with nut attatched to warp line by some sort of rolling knot, and i'll also tie the end of the warp somewhere else as a precaution.

What about attatching the second mooring line to the rear of the boat - any suggestions where it should go?

Thanks very much!
__________________

__________________
AndrewUkR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 18:28   #2
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,267
RIBase
Couple of options. On the Zodiac - there should be an alloy engine mounting plate with a loop-section for securing a steel or rope lanyard to the engine. I've tied a rope to this in the past.

You could also use the towing eyes on the transom (by rigging something up). For obvious reasons - don't be temped to tie-off on the moulded grab handles.
__________________

__________________
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 18:30   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 45
and also looking into knot tying. Would a bowline on a bight be a suitable method of adding a loop to a point in my warp line, which could then be fixed to a caribina on my painter line at correctl length?

I presume if one end of the warp is anchored, and the other end is attatched to the boat any loop will be secure as both ends are fixed. What do other people use in this situation?
__________________
AndrewUkR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 01:54   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewUkR6 View Post
and also looking into knot tying. Would a bowline on a bight be a suitable method of adding a loop to a point in my warp line, which could then be fixed to a caribina on my painter line at correctl length?

I presume if one end of the warp is anchored, and the other end is attatched to the boat any loop will be secure as both ends are fixed. What do other people use in this situation?
If I understand you right, you have a painter line attached to the bow D ring and are then proposing using a second, separate, 'mooring' warp attached to this painter. We just use the painter directly for the bow mooring line. Why not keep it simple?
__________________
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 05:15   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
If I understand you right, you have a painter line attached to the bow D ring and are then proposing using a second, separate, 'mooring' warp attached to this painter. We just use the painter directly for the bow mooring line. Why not keep it simple?
Probably the same reason I do the same-it's a pain having a long warp in the boat when tying to a pontoon,and if the painter goes in when you're moving it's short enough it won't reach the prop.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 17:03   #6
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Probably the same reason I do the same-it's a pain having a long warp in the boat when tying to a pontoon,and if the painter goes in when you're moving it's short enough it won't reach the prop.
Yup, my painter is the same - deliberately a couple of feet too short to risk ending up stuck in the middle of nowhere with the outboard firmly tied to the sharp end of the boat
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 18:59   #7
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
one really strong way for anchoring but is also better if towing a sib and that is make a bridle running from 2 fixed pioints each side of the engine on the transom , better if you have ski eyes fitted ,and then run it down under the boat and through the d ring at the front ,the anchor line can then be tied off to the loop end . to make it a bit more permanent cable tie the bridle to the d ring to stop losing the end . there is hardly any strain on the d ring as most of the strain is taken on the transom. also regards long painters why not make that loop chain knot which shortens the line until you want it long then undo the end and pull it all out. RNLI d class inflatables do the same with there painters .
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 02:31   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewUkR6 View Post
Hi, thankfully managed to secure fore and aft mooring points for my little 3.8m Zodiac Futura SIB whilst on holiday.

At the bow I'm going to use a short painter line spliced to D-Ring, a caribina with nut attatched to warp line by some sort of rolling knot, and i'll also tie the end of the warp somewhere else as a precaution.

What about attatching the second mooring line to the rear of the boat - any suggestions where it should go?

Thanks very much!
What's the carabina for (is that a carbine hook)?
__________________
Tim Spring
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 07:18   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 45
thanks for suggestions. I'll use the ski eyes on the back. By caribina yes i mean carbine hook with a screwnut to lock it off...
__________________
AndrewUkR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 10:18   #10
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Do not run a primary anchor line directly off the transom!

If a large wave comes up suddenly it will come straight over the transom and swamp the boat (with a conventional boat this would be a disastrous). Always makes sure that any anchor line set up will orient will orient the bow to point towards the anchor.

What M Chappelow suggested (or some variation of it) is fine.
__________________

__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.