Old 04 June 2013, 17:16   #1

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Anchor Locker Build

I thought it was about time I posted this, in case it inspires anybody else to have a go too. I'd firstly like to say that this is the firs fiberglassing I have ever done so it is not perfect, but sturdy, functional and no less scruffy looking than the rest of my boat.

So, I decided I didn't like the old recycling box in the front of the boat and wanted something better. I decided also that I didn't want to alter the boat in any way either, so no deck holes (apart from the odd screw hole) to potentially bugger up my boat. The first stage was so line the bow area with plastic sheeting, using spray mount glue, so I could use the boat as a mould (sorry, no picture). This worked well apart from the creases in the plastic and the initial glass layers gave a close fitting shape. When solid enough, I removed it and built up the thickness, whilst also flattening out some of the major lumps. I then built a former for the top, comprising of the top and front surfaces, radius'd front corner (formed using builders DPC roll) and the grove for the lid to sit in (using electrical conduit screwed to the top former).

I glassed the top section, removed from the former and then mated it to the base.

And in the bow,

The next stage was to glass the halves together from the inside and then trim the outer edges to form curved edges, which were then glassed again from the outside to improve the finish and fill any voids. The whole box was strengthened from inside and out by adding more layers. This took a long time but allowed me to get a pretty flat finish. The next stages were to sand the crap out of it, fill any imperfections (there were loads), sand again, flow coat, sand again, more flowcoat, more sanding then progressively finer sanding and polishing. It is not a "gelcoat" glossy finish, but neither is my boat these days, and it is very tough indeed. Finally I made a lid on a similar former to the top section, sanded,l trimmed and painted then fitted with hinges.

Unfortunatly there is a slight bow to the right hand side, but it's still better than an old recycling box!

The box is a very good fit and is held in place with a self tappers and sika so can come out without any real scars if need be. I was going to fit a catch to the lid at some point but its a good fit and doesn't seem to open whilst under way. The only remaining job is to get a cushion made.

Phil M
Old 04 June 2013, 18:14   #2

Town: Sandpoint, Idaho
Boat name: Searider
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Engine: Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke
Inspires me to think about my old milk crate that I am using now. Very nice result.
Old 04 June 2013, 22:12   #3

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 50
Very nice mate. I'll try one next season.

Cheers
Old 04 June 2013, 22:27   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Nice job!!!
Old 05 June 2013, 01:19   #5
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Looks great!

How many layers of glass? Chopped strand mat in there too?

Tempted to use a plywood core!
Old 05 June 2013, 03:57   #6

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post

I'm going to use a plywood core! Be a couple weeks before I can start though. Got a sheet a 1/2" laying around.

Jason
Old 05 June 2013, 14:26   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Nicely done.

If the lid does flop open a bit, a couple of pieces of industrial velcro should help without having to modify it.

jky
Old 06 June 2013, 11:32   #8

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Looks great!

How many layers of glass? Chopped strand mat in there too?

I's all csm 450 or 600g, cant remember which, and a minimum of 5 layers with additional thickness around the edges. There is a piece of 15mm x 30mm soft wood batten sealed in the front face, below the opening. Funnily enough I didn't think of using a sheet of ply as a core. Might use that for the console build in a year or so! Not the normal method I could make it out of ply then simply cover it with glass to strengthen and waterproof it.

Phil M