Old 03 October 2006, 13:15   #1

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Anchor Light

If you have separate port & starboard lights fitted to your boat, do you have a facility to turn them off, leaving the all-round white? (assuming you don't have a separate stern light, of course).

If not - what do you do when watching fireworks, for example?

Thanks.

Chris.

Old 03 October 2006, 13:33   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
I used one of those solar powered garden lights. Saves flattening the battery and your night vision doesn't suffer.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2006, 13:36   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
US regs say that while underway at night, a small motor vessel must have the red and green side markers (each visible from straight ahead to 135 degrees from ahead), and a white stern light (an all-around may be used in place of the stern light.)

While at anchor, an all-around white light only must be displayed.

I have the white and side lights on separate switches, but I have also seen three position switches used (Nav+White - OFF - White only.)

So, if you're anchored, white on, sides off. If you are drifting, not sure (though I would leave the white on and shut off the side lights in that case.) Underway, sides and white on.

I would assume the regs are the same in the UK.

jky
Old 03 October 2006, 14:15   #4

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
I ran a new feed to power the top white on its own on my boat last year for this very reason. Originally, all 3 lights were powered from one switch, but now, I can turn the colours and the white on and off independently.

Whether you use your standard top white or another all round white light, as far as I know, if you are in the dark at anchor you should have this.

-Alex
Old 03 October 2006, 15:00   #5

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown
I ran a new feed to power the top white on its own on my boat last year for this very reason. Originally, all 3 lights were powered from one switch, but now, I can turn the colours and the white on and off independently.

Whether you use your standard top white or another all round white light, as far as I know, if you are in the dark at anchor you should have this.

-Alex

I use Seachoice Rocker switches on my rib, I have 8 switches for the usual gear plus a on-off-on DPDT switch for the nav lights, press it one way for all nav lights the the other way for all round white only.

to wire it up use one side for white and the otherside for port& stbd.

works really well, also they do switches for bilge pump ie on-off-momentry on

http://www.yachtiq.com/SEACHOICE-CON...-On-SP-P-6581/

regards

mark
Old 03 October 2006, 16:59   #6

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
US regs say that while underway at night, a small motor vessel must have the red and green side markers (each visible from straight ahead to 135 degrees from ahead), and a white stern light (an all-around may be used in place of the stern light.)
I think you may want to recheck those as the US regs will be the same here, as they are International. If you are only showing a port, starboard and a stern light this would make you a yacht, not under power. You should always show an all round white light.

I think you may of missed the part in the regulations regarding the size of vessel as it will refer to mast head lights.

With regards to Chris question yes I do have a seperate swith for my all round white light.

Simon
Old 03 October 2006, 17:38   #7

Town: Ilford
Boat name: El Rekko
Make: DUX
Length: under 3m
Engine: 8hp OB
Chris

I anticipate a lively debate! My view is that whilst drifting, not anchored and not attached to a mooring, you are under way but not making way. In this case I suggest both sidelights and all round white. For what it's worth.
Old 03 October 2006, 18:20   #8

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel
My Ribcraft apears to have been factory fitted with a rocker switch to allow the white light to be turned on on its own.
Old 04 October 2006, 04:09   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins
If you are only showing a port, starboard and a stern light this would make you a yacht, not under power. You should always show an all round white light.
Possible that I am wrong. I do recall that an all-around is *not* required while underway; I'll check that out and repost.

Checked it out, and Simon is correct; it is an all-around light for small recreational vessels.

Quote:
I think you may of missed the part in the regulations regarding the size of vessel as it will refer to mast head lights.
Nope, didn't miss it. Didn't think it applicable to the conversation (if you were referring to larger sized vessels.) I was going from memory on the light standards, so I didn't miss it there, either.

As an aside, was out on the SF Bay for our 4th of July fireworks; about 25% of the recreational power boats and fully 75% of the recreational sailboats displayed incorrect lights while running (if they displayed any at all.)

jky
Old 04 October 2006, 13:18   #10

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
I wonder though, if you are drifting without the engine turned on and not specifically underway, should you be displaying lights in the form of Red, White and Red in a vertical line since you are restricted?
I know we use this for towage, but how far down the line does it go I wonder, is it commercial vessels only? - remember it's all about being seen and letting others know what you're doing, or not as the case may be.

-Alex