Old 04 March 2007, 10:41   #1

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Anchor dimensions...

I'm looking at getting a 5kg Bruce anchor however the anchor hatch is only 178mm x 280mm.

Looking at the dimensions it looks like 'computer says no' but do you think it would go in by hooking one side of the anchor through first and then twisting the rest through? It's kind of hard to visualise I know!

The next size down is 2kg which seems a bit puny to me....

Any suggestions? It's for a 5m RIB.

Alex
Old 04 March 2007, 11:18   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
2kg anchor for 5m boat

A 2kg should be ok so long as you use ample chain and a good length of rope.
Old 04 March 2007, 12:17   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The only way is to try it and see - can't you tow the boat to a chandler and just try it? Another possibility is to make a dummy hatch from a bit of wood and take it with you.
Old 04 March 2007, 12:39   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
The question is, Alex, what are you intending to use the anchor for? (Anchoring, obviously!) If it's just to anchor off the beach whist you're on board, then go for a smaller anchor. If it's for emergency use, then consider if you will have sufficient line (120ft+) for it to be any use in emergency, and will you be able to get it out of the hatch when your line has tangled around it and the chain has landed on top of it, and you're bobbing about in an unconfortable swell.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2007, 13:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The only way is to try it and see - can't you tow the boat to a chandler and just try it? Another possibility is to make a dummy hatch from a bit of wood and take it with you.
Now that's not a bad idea, I can just cut one out of some cardboard. Just need to find somewhere local with a 5kg bruce in stock now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
The question is, Alex, what are you intending to use the anchor for? (Anchoring, obviously!) If it's just to anchor off the beach whist you're on board, then go for a smaller anchor. If it's for emergency use, then consider if you will have sufficient line (120ft+) for it to be any use in emergency, and will you be able to get it out of the hatch when your line has tangled around it and the chain has landed on top of it, and you're bobbing about in an unconfortable swell.
It will be mainly for anchoring off beaches but not always with someone on board. The area we are in has all types of bottom: kelp/mud, rocks and sand so an all round anchor is a must. It's the peace of mind that you can leave the boat unattended for a few hours really.
Old 04 March 2007, 17:02   #6
red

Town: Alton
Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Zodiac Hurricane, Ca
Length: 6m +
Engine: Diesel 170hp
Have you considered getting a Delta, a 4kg Delta is much smaller but much more capable.

cheers
Old 04 March 2007, 17:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Have you considered getting a Delta, a 4kg Delta is much smaller but much more capable.

cheers
I've never tried a delta before to be honest. Are they really more capable than a bruce pattern?
Old 04 March 2007, 17:25   #8

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post

cheers
I'll second that. I've a Delta on my rib and I'm impressed. I think small Bruce anchors have difficulty digging in to hardish sandy bottoms - no 'sharp' point. I think their main feature is the ability to hold well on a shorter scope than with other anchors - when once they're dug in. Weight does that. Designed for oil rigs. The stockless anchors that are almost universally used on ships are useless when scaled down to 'yacht' size.
Old 04 March 2007, 19:44   #9

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
5kg Bruce will fit through your hatch, but it may not get into the locker, if it's small or shallow - trust me, I've been there
Old 04 March 2007, 22:28   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have looked at the Delta as being the best all rounder. Basically it's a solid CQR. Expensive for what they are though - there is also a cheaper version of it called the Kobra that also has a folding shank. The 6kg Delta is about £120 and the Kobra is £52 - less than 1/2 the price.

There is also the spade which again is similar.

I think the problem with the small Brue anchors is that they aren't made by Bruce anymore - instead they are all cast in the Far East which results in different profiles and thicker flukes which give less penertration - it would be interesting to see what the originals can do - these days they concentrate on the big stuff. Nobody will pay for alooy steel small anchors any more.

In all the anchor tests the Fortress usually comes out on top - basically because all they do is compare anchors by weight. The fortress is a Danforth made of light alloy so it has a much bigger surface area for a given weight.

You could always get an old CQR and weld the hinge shut.....
Old 01 April 2007, 10:55   #11

Well for future reference a 5kg Bruce will fit in the bow locker of a Ribeye 500... although you do need to use a 'technique' to get it in and out!

Along with 10m of 6mm chain and 40m of 12mm multiplait spliced on it all fits quite snugly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Multiplait Chain Splice 002.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	25910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Multiplait Chain Splice 003.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	25911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Multiplait Chain Splice 005.JPG
Views:	219